Ladislav in Constanta, Romania

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Ladislav in Constanta, Romania

Post by ladislav »

Greetings from Constanta.

Constanta to Romania is what Odessa is to Ukraine. It is a port and resort city on the Black Sea. Those who wanted to go to Odessa this year because they miss the Black Sea summer life should head here. The sea around Odessa is mined, and it is no fun. There was another bombing last night, too.

I decided to leave Chernivtsi, took a taxi to the border, and walked across. The Ukrainian customs and immigration out of the country are the same windows are those into the country. So, you have people coming in and out and they are using the same booths. You still need to get a slip from the customs on the way out and they still ask you what you are taking out of the country.

Then, it is like a 200m walk across the no man's land and into Romania. If you walk, you get served out of line. There are all these cars, but you are not asked to get in behind them. They stamped my passport and then, the Romanian customs were just some people hanging out and they were not paying attention to the pedestrians at all. I just walked over to a taxi and it took me to the train station.

The fares were, the Ukrainian taxi to the border was some $18 and it was some 35 miles and then, the Romanian taxi to the train station was some $30 and it was another 35 miles to the station at a town called Suceava. Soo cheh yah vah.

The white sand beaches here are enormous, with even more sand than Copacabana.

The place is not as wild as Odessa and is more of a family town. Lots of families with kids everywhere.

The train left at 10 pm and arrived in Constanta at 4 am. It pretty much cross the whole of Romania. It was hot and crowded, the air conditioning was crap but the ride was some $26. Then the taxi was $22. And the hotel which is just a walking distance from the beach is $64 a night.

This is the EU, so prices are about twice as high as in Ukraine. But still about one half of US prices.

One interesting detail was that when I arrived at the hotel, the receptionist was this gorgeous young lady, about 22 and she looked like a cross between Mila Kunis and Selena Gomez. She was dressed in tiny denim shorts and one of those blouses that slide down to denude the shoulder. She was smoking in the lobby and was incredibly friendly and wanted to know about life in America. She asked me a million questions, and we spent more than hour in the lobby just talking. I could not believe that such a beautiful girl would be so nice to me. Well, she did tell me that she already had a boyfriend. But still, there was zero mysandry, zero mistrust, no reserve, just total friendship, way beyond the service requirements.

This could never happen in the USA.

Then, the manager came and he was a guy maybe 35 and also very friendly and we talked and laughed and the service was great overall. They all liked to talk.

Crossing from a very cold and formal, stand offish Western Ukraine into a Latino Romania is a big contrast. It is like crossing from Germany into Italy. W. Ukraine is still very, very Austrian, but this place is like Italy or Mexico basically.

You look at the crowd of Romanian people and they clearly look like a buch of Latinos. And they act like that, too.

But there is more of a different type of a mixture here.

First of all, there are no ugly people among them. Same as in Ukraine, the soil here is rich, people eat natural foods, they walk a lot, so they look good. Also, not many obese people, although there are people with big bellies, too. The rest of the body does not look so fat.

The predominant face is kind of like Italian or Roman type. And some look as dark as Sicilian Italians. Almost Mexican looking. Then, you have the native Dacian type. Kind of like Greek looking but the hair is jet black and straight and the face is narrow. Deep dark eyes and an eagle nose. Then, you also have pure, blond Slavic types, they look like Ukrainians. And then, you have everything in between that such a mixture can provide. Blond but tanned skin and a Roman nose, dark but with blue eyes, etc. A very pretty race. But the feeling that you are in Sicily predominates.

A very unique country. They also eat palenta here just like they do in Italy. The language sounds like Italian with Slavic undertones.

And even though it is Romania, the religion is Greek Orthodox.

Anyway, this is my down and dirty on this place.
Last edited by ladislav on August 14th, 2023, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Ladislav in Constanta, Romania

Post by gsjackson »

I got ripped off by the taxi from train station to hotel in Constanta also -- seven years ago. Just a cost of doing business in Romania, but still off-putting in a country that would like to attract more tourists. They've tried to regulate taxis at the airport in Bucharest and make them use the meter, but all bets are off if you arrive later at night, as I did a two and a half months ago at 3:30 a.m. Paid $45 for a taxi ride that would have been about $17 on the meter, and that was the best I could negotiate.

Romanian does sound very Italian -- lots of vowels.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

ladislav wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 2:44 am
Nonsense. They're incomparable.
ladislav wrote:
One interesting detail was that when I arrived at the hotel, the receptionist was this gorgeous young lady, about 22 and she looked like a cross between Mila Kunis and Selena Gomez. She was dressed in tiny denim shorts and one of those blouses that slide down to denude the shoulder.
Only an incel who is starving and drooling for sex would go into that level of detail.
ladislav wrote:
I could not believe that such a beautiful girl would be so nice to me.
Fool!

Never forget who you are in this world Laddy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

gsjackson wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 3:36 am
I got ripped off by the taxi from train station to hotel in Constanta also -- seven years ago. Just a cost of doing business in Romania, but still off-putting in a country that would like to attract more tourists. They've tried to regulate taxis at the airport in Bucharest and make them use the meter, but all bets are off if you arrive later at night, as I did a two and a half months ago at 3:30 a.m. Paid $45 for a taxi ride that would have been about $17 on the meter, and that was the best I could negotiate.
Taxi drivers everywhere are horrible. You need to use an app. I forget what app used in Chisinau, Moldova last summer. I was getting ready to use the app when some taxi driver approached and made their offer. Twice the app price. I countered with the app price and they started muttering about robbery. So i used the app and a nice car in line twenty meters away immediately drove up.

Normally I don't use taxis. Either bus or walk if I'm alone. But i had that girl last summer so had to use a taxi.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

gsjackson wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 3:36 am
Romanian does sound very Italian -- lots of vowels.
I will tell you more. Romanian sounds more ancient Latin than Italian itself. The ancient Dacia was basically Roman Empire's pension fund. When soldiers who couldn't (or wouldn't) aspire to higher political ranks retired, they were given a plot of land in Dacia and moved there. If you think of the harsh conditions of being part of the Roman Army, then spending your final years (40 and over) farming land in a placid country, far away from the hustle and bustle of Rome, was the closest thing to a retirement.

Romanian culture absorbed quite a bit of Slavic, late Greek and Turkish/Ottoman culture over the centuries. What is remarkable is how much this people fought to preserve their identity, especially against the Ottomans attacking them every other day.

Stephen the Great was a Romanian (technically Moldovan) ruler who dedicated his life to successfully keep the Ottomans at bay. The Vatican knew that, without him, the Ottomans would have enough resources to push further down West and conquer Italy, extremely fragmented and weak at the time. He was a deeply pious man and was declared "Saint" (in fact canonized) by Pope St Gregorius VII. He then became saint for the Orthodox church in 1992.

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

kangarunner wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 4:54 am
ladislav wrote:
ladislav wrote:
One interesting detail was that when I arrived at the hotel, the receptionist was this gorgeous young lady, about 22 and she looked like a cross between Mila Kunis and Selena Gomez. She was dressed in tiny denim shorts and one of those blouses that slide down to denude the shoulder.
Only an incel who is starving and drooling for sex would go into that level of detail.
ladislav wrote:
Fool!

Did you forget to take your meds today? :)
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

publicduende wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 5:54 am
kangarunner wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 4:54 am
ladislav wrote:
ladislav wrote:
ladislav wrote:
Fool!

Did you forget to take your meds today? :)
The rage does tend to get a bit unfocused when he (presumably) forgets. What's he got against Ladislav, as good a forum citizen as we have? I called him dumb as a box of rocks, so he sends a slur my way when he sees my comments. Maybe he got confused, thought he was clicking on my post and opened fire, only to discover it was Ladislav and just let him have it anyway. It's me you want to insult, kangarunner. Me, not Ladislav. Remember now?
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

gsjackson wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 6:58 am
The rage does tend to get a bit unfocused when he (presumably) forgets. What's he got against Ladislav, as good a forum citizen as we have? I called him dumb as a box of rocks, so he sends a slur my way when he sees my comments. Maybe he got confused, thought he was clicking on my post and opened fire, only to discover it was Ladislav and just let him have it anyway. It's me you want to insult, kangarunner. Me, not Ladislav. Remember now?
It's a curious case, this @kangarunner of ours. I once made a comment critical of the Chinese government that rubbed him the wrong way, after which he sent a lot of verbal abuse my way for a few weeks. Then after a while, he ran out of steam and now he's cordial again to me. He also seems to have a strange bug up his ass about @Winston needing to "give to charity" to help the poor in the Philippines, for some reason I fail to understand.

Of course Ladislav is a good fellow, and he has a habit of creating threads, and then not responding to comments underneath, until he makes another thread. He's a constructive poster, and he seems to be here for the sole purpose of sharing his knowledge, rather than actively discussing it or socializing with other members. Why anyone would hate such a member is beyond my comprehension.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 7:15 am
gsjackson wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 6:58 am
It's a curious case, this @kangarunner of ours. I once made a comment critical of the Chinese government that rubbed him the wrong way, after which he sent a lot of verbal abuse my way for a few weeks. Then after a while, he ran out of steam and now he's cordial again to me. He also seems to have a strange bug up his ass about @Winston needing to "give to charity" to help the poor in the Philippines, for some reason I fail to understand.

Of course Ladislav is a good fellow, and he has a habit of creating threads, and then not responding to comments underneath, until he makes another thread. He's a constructive poster, and he seems to be here for the sole purpose of sharing his knowledge, rather than actively discussing it or socializing with other members. Why anyone would hate such a member is beyond my comprehension.
I guess Kangarunner is "not that guy". :lol:
Kangarunner is cool with me. I don't know why he wants to pick a fight with Winston, You and Ladislav. :?
Sometimes he acts bit erratic like a blockheaded "Woke" White American. Other times, I like his contribution with Medallin Colombia.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Hey, I welcome all comments. And there is a bit of truth in them. But I am a 63 year old man and my chances of someone being that nice to me in the US are nil. Zero. So, I did get emotional.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

ladislav wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 11:02 am
Hey, I welcome all comments. And there is a bit of truth in them. But I am a 63 year old man and my chances of someone being that nice to me in the US are nil. Zero. So, I did get emotional.
Plus those Romanian girls do get awfully cute, don't they? I get it, man. I have little illusions of being showered with female affection when I am in my sixties myself. When it does happen to you as an older gentleman, it must feel like a special treat, a gift from Mother Nature or the Highest One. I'm happy for you, dude. Seriously.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

ladislav wrote:
August 14th, 2023, 11:02 am
Oh no.. I hold a certain level of respect towards you because you still are Winston's advisor and have been a member here for 15 years or so.
You're one of the last old guards. It's a shame that you don't post here that often. Your perspective and deep insight on Eastern European culture and mentality is worth weight of gold. We need more people like you. Not Mercer, PAG, Captain Skelebob, Tsar, etc.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Facsinating report! I was in Greece last year.

I actually went to Mount Athos, an exclusively male monastic republic. Half of the pilgrims there were Russians, while the others were a mix of Romanians, Serbs, Greeks, and Bulgarians. I didn't see any other Americans there, and only a few Western Europeans from Germany and Switzerland. I was the only Asian there except for one Asian-Australian monk that I saw.

I almost fell in love with a hot Greek lady at a shop who kept staring at me non-stop and ended up talking to me, but I had a mission to accomplish at Mount Athos and wouldn't let her distract me haha.

Anyways, the Romanians I met at Mount Athos were quieter and more humble, unlike the boisterous Russians who move together in crowds. The Romanians' monasteries and hermitages are also in the more remote parts of Mount Athos, and they struck me as more comtemplative, thoughtful, and perhaps more mystical.