Sycamore, Illinois is the most anti-social community I have ever visited in my life.

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
traveller
Junior Poster

Sycamore, Illinois is the most anti-social community I have ever visited in my life.

Post by traveller »

Even New Yorkers would be absolutely disgusted by the toxic, disconnected, closed off, and anti-social culture of Sycamore, Illinois and the extremely toxic and disconnected nature of the people in Sycamore, Illinois. And even New Yorkers would be horribly disgusted by Sycamore's complete lack of any kind of social atmosphere, lack of human connection, and the extremely closed, cliquish nature of it's people.

Sycamore is a small farming community located some 60 miles west of Chicago. Other than DeKalb some 8 miles southwest, Sycamore is out in the country, surrounded by over 20 miles and more of endless cornfields. The closest large population area is that outer, westernmost edge of the Chicago west suburbs, specifically Aurora, Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles, and Elgin, which line the Fox River. And at 20 miles to the east, St. Charles is the closest of the 5 Fox River suburbs to Sycamore.

On October 31st, 2004, my parents and I went to Sycamore for their annual Pumpkin festival. It was less than a month since a trip I took to the Florida Keys, so I was still pretty much Floridianized. There was a parade and there were a lot of crowds. I was strolling around, seeing the different works of art made with various pumpkins and other things in front of the courthouse, saying "Hi, how are you" to practically everyone.

There was a group of cheerleaders from Northern Illinois University that was handing out fliers for some kind of event at Northern Illinois University that I encountered and they were pretty social with me. But other than that, only three, and I mean three locals, even said "Hi" back to me. The rest of the people in Sycamore either ignored me or gave me that cold, mean stare like "Who the (censored) are you, and what the (censored) are you doing in my community!!?" The people in Sycamore were the same towards my parents, too. Very anti-social and very disconnected.

Sycamore, being in the middle of the cornfields of Northern Illinois, easily is one of the safest feeling communities I had visited in my life, and yet the locals in Sycamore were clearly acting like they think they're in East St. Louis.

On a side note, the social scene is about as bad in DeKalb, too, including at Northern Illinois University.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Sycamore, Illinois is the most anti-social community I have ever visited in my life.

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

traveller wrote:
March 18th, 2024, 1:53 pm
Even New Yorkers would be absolutely disgusted by the toxic, disconnected, closed off, and anti-social culture of Sycamore, Illinois and the extremely toxic and disconnected nature of the people in Sycamore, Illinois. And even New Yorkers would be horribly disgusted by Sycamore's complete lack of any kind of social atmosphere, lack of human connection, and the extremely closed, cliquish nature of it's people.

Sycamore is a small farming community located some 60 miles west of Chicago. Other than DeKalb some 8 miles southwest, Sycamore is out in the country, surrounded by over 20 miles and more of endless cornfields. The closest large population area is that outer, westernmost edge of the Chicago west suburbs, specifically Aurora, Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles, and Elgin, which line the Fox River. And at 20 miles to the east, St. Charles is the closest of the 5 Fox River suburbs to Sycamore.

On October 31st, 2004, my parents and I went to Sycamore for their annual Pumpkin festival. It was less than a month since a trip I took to the Florida Keys, so I was still pretty much Floridianized. There was a parade and there were a lot of crowds. I was strolling around, seeing the different works of art made with various pumpkins and other things in front of the courthouse, saying "Hi, how are you" to practically everyone.

There was a group of cheerleaders from Northern Illinois University that was handing out fliers for some kind of event at Northern Illinois University that I encountered and they were pretty social with me. But other than that, only three, and I mean three locals, even said "Hi" back to me. The rest of the people in Sycamore either ignored me or gave me that cold, mean stare like "Who the (censored) are you, and what the (censored) are you doing in my community!!?" The people in Sycamore were the same towards my parents, too. Very anti-social and very disconnected.

Sycamore, being in the middle of the cornfields of Northern Illinois, easily is one of the safest feeling communities I had visited in my life, and yet the locals in Sycamore were clearly acting like they think they're in East St. Louis.

On a side note, the social scene is about as bad in DeKalb, too, including at Northern Illinois University.
Bunch of stupid rednecks. They may hate on you and your parents because they think your some kind of "City Slicker" and your not one of them.
On Average, Americans are very cliquish and repressed similar to the Japanese. People might think Americans are friendly and open minded, but most of them are not as they are cowardly, very close minded and conformist bunch.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!