Mandela Effect - Residuals from Timeline Change or Memory Confabulation?

Discuss conspiracies, mysteries and paranormal phenomena.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Mandela Effect - Residuals from Timeline Change or Memory Confabulation?

Post by Winston »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 1:16 am
I'm someone who accepts things like archons, spirituality and the paranormal as fact. However, with the Mandela Effect I am not really convinced of its authenticity. I think the human brain is unreliable. If there is an event which takes place x amount of years ago like a night out or something, listen to how everyone recounts the event with varied details. Plus most of these Mandela Effects are almost always exclusive to media such as movies, or TV shows. Things which can be altered and changed. For example I've found evidence online of Tom Hanks using BOTH phrases about life being a box of chocolates. Just had a skim through this post and saw something about Moonraker as well. A quick look on Google shows that there seems to be both video evidence of Dolly WITH and WITHOUT braces. Two different clips. Film directors often do several takes of the same scene etc or one scene takes days to film. Look at the scene in Goodfellas where the different coloured blocks keep changing every change of camera angle. Sorry guys but I am not convinced this is a real Phenomena, despite accepting the possibility of a multiverse.
I agree. The Mandela Effect is weak and iffy. And it's odd that most of it involve movies and music. And trivial words too. However, I researched the Moonraker one and it is very hard to explain away. There is not a video of Dolly with braces. You can search for it and see. There is one CGI video on YouTube where someone used CGI to add braces to Dolly as a joke. But that's it. All VHS copies of Moonraker show Dolly without braces, and the actress who played her said she never wore braces in the movie. Yet all James Bond websites say she did, including the BBC website. So it is very odd.

If you can find a link of Dolly with braces from an original VHS tape, can you post it?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I sensed a demonic presence when I watched the first Mandela effect video. I've also read and seen videos of people who got into it. I think there are spirits that are trying to deceive people into thinking it is true to confuse them. The evidence for it seems to be based mainly on the fact that we as humans have gaps in processing memories and misremembered words and phrases can also become widespread in pop culture.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Winston wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 5:20 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:
I'm someone who accepts things like archons, spirituality and the paranormal as fact. However, with the Mandela Effect I am not really convinced of its authenticity. I think the human brain is unreliable. If there is an event which takes place x amount of years ago like a night out or something, listen to how everyone recounts the event with varied details. Plus most of these Mandela Effects are almost always exclusive to media such as movies, or TV shows. Things which can be altered and changed. For example I've found evidence online of Tom Hanks using BOTH phrases about life being a box of chocolates. Just had a skim through this post and saw something about Moonraker as well. A quick look on Google shows that there seems to be both video evidence of Dolly WITH and WITHOUT braces. Two different clips. Film directors often do several takes of the same scene etc or one scene takes days to film. Look at the scene in Goodfellas where the different coloured blocks keep changing every change of camera angle. Sorry guys but I am not convinced this is a real Phenomena, despite accepting the possibility of a multiverse.
I agree. The Mandela Effect is weak and iffy. And it's odd that most of it involve movies and music. And trivial words too. However, I researched the Moonraker one and it is very hard to explain away. There is not a video of Dolly with braces. You can search for it and see. There is one CGI video on YouTube where someone used CGI to add braces to Dolly as a joke. But that's it. All VHS copies of Moonraker show Dolly without braces, and the actress who played her said she never wore braces in the movie. Yet all James Bond websites say she did, including the BBC website. So it is very odd.

If you can find a link of Dolly with braces from an original VHS tape, can you post it?
I've found a few examples where a popular phrase is misquoted by other movies and shows and that could be why people misremember these quotes in large numbers. Take this one I found just as an example: the quote "Luke, I am your father." Actually being "No, I am your father!" Now watch the following clip from the Simpsons where that line is misquoted and gives the quote most people will remember from that iconic Star Wars scene.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/rpgfEpKtOMI[/youtube]

Again here (kinda) in Robot Chicken

[youtube]https://youtu.be/tgbkN9vb__8[/youtube]

Then Forest Gump's quote being used twice.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ikChZ7U1NSU[/youtube]

Other things like Febreze being spelled with 1 E can easily be explained by the brain filling in gaps, placing that second E so the word makes sense as we know breeze to be spelt.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is one that will blow you all away for sure! Everyone remembers Ed McMahon working for Publisher's Clearing House giving out million dollar checks to people's door in the early and mid 1980s. However, that's been ERASED from this timeline. Apparently in our new reality, he never worked for PCH, only for American Family, and never gave out checks to people's home and front door! This is huge, even harder to explain away than Dolly's braces in Moonraker! Especially since there are MANY RESIDUALS to prove this. See this 9 min compilation of residuals below about Ed McMahon and PCH that's been referenced many times on TV, even by Ed McMahon himself! It's irrefutable!

Also in the comments section below, there are many people who are 100 percent sure they saw Ed McMahon giving out PCH checks to people at their home back in the 80s! I'm sure some of you guys remember it too. This one is impossible to explain away. No skeptic can deny it. It's the biggest most provable Mandela Effect ever!
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
May 29th, 2022, 8:56 am
Winston wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 5:20 am
Pixel--Dude wrote:

I've found a few examples where a popular phrase is misquoted by other movies and shows and that could be why people misremember these quotes in large numbers. Take this one I found just as an example: the quote "Luke, I am your father." Actually being "No, I am your father!" Now watch the following clip from the Simpsons where that line is misquoted and gives the quote most people will remember from that iconic Star Wars scene.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/rpgfEpKtOMI[/youtube]

Again here (kinda) in Robot Chicken

[youtube]https://youtu.be/tgbkN9vb__8[/youtube]

Then Forest Gump's quote being used twice.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ikChZ7U1NSU[/youtube]

Other things like Febreze being spelled with 1 E can easily be explained by the brain filling in gaps, placing that second E so the word makes sense as we know breeze to be spelt.
I agree. Empire Strikes Back is one of my favorite movies and I've always remembered Darth Vader saying "No, I am your father". So this isn't a Mandela Effect for me either. However, there is a clip of the actor who plays Vader, James Earl Jones, saying on an interview that he said "Luke, I am your father". So it's odd that the actor himself remembers it differently than what the movie actually shows. I agree that most Mandela Effects can be explained away, but not all. The two above, Dolly's Braces and Ed McMahon, are impossible to explain away. See the video I just posted above. It's irrefutable.

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
January 13th, 2024, 9:54 am
Here is one that will blow you all away for sure! Everyone remembers Ed McMahon working for Publisher's Clearing House giving out million dollar checks to people's door in the early and mid 1980s. However, that's been ERASED from this timeline. Apparently in our new reality, he never worked for PCH, only for American Family, and never gave out checks to people's home and front door! This is huge, even harder to explain away than Dolly's braces in Moonraker! Especially since there are MANY RESIDUALS to prove this. See this 9 min compilation of residuals below about Ed McMahon and PCH that's been referenced many times on TV, even by Ed McMahon himself! It's irrefutable!

Also in the comments section below, there are many people who are 100 percent sure they saw Ed McMahon giving out PCH checks to people at their home back in the 80s! I'm sure some of you guys remember it too. This one is impossible to explain away. No skeptic can deny it. It's the biggest most provable Mandela Effect ever!
When I read your post there, I was surprised at the idea of Ed McMahon not working for Publisher's Clearing House, but as I was watching the video, I did a search to see if I could find a commercial of him at Publisher's Clearing House, and I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB88x4rHPAk

I don't know if I saw that specific commercial, but Ed McMahon had a distinctive voice, and as I watched that commercial, I remember his voice saying 'American Family Publishers' on 1980's TV commercials. I don't actually remember him saying 'Publisher's Clearing House' or seeing him on their ad.

Here is my theory:
- Publisher's Clearing House was a company well-known for first giving a $1 million.
- Ed McMahon starts advertising American Family Publisher's with the same amounts for prizes.
- Us regular consumers don't pay enough attention. Publisher's Clearing House and 1
million prize is kind of like tissue and Kleenex, the brand is associated with that particular thing.
- In popular media, TV, etc. they would make jokes about Ed McMahon and Publisher's Clearing House--- even McMahon's co-worker Johnny Carson.
- The PCH guy who said Ed never delivered checks didn't work with him and didn't know that he actually did deliver checks, at least for that bit on TV, and maybe for ads.

Do you remember a specific ad where he said 'Publisher's Clearing House?"

And I think I saw this ad, and I remember this envelope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H8nHiOP7ho

The earlier ads do not feature 'American Family Publishers' prominently. In one ad, he says, 'The first ten million dollar prize'... so the American public is used to PCH giving out these types of prizes for magazine and associates him with that envelope they got every year. I think PCH's envelops were yellow. I remember filling out the stamps for my parents when I was a kid. Later ads emphasize the company brand name more.

It seems like I have a vague recollection of realizing in the 1980's that his was a different sweepstakes from Publisher's Clearinghouse. I may have seen both envelopes, or helped fill them out. PCH had a bunch of stamps to put in places if you didn't buy magazines. I don't remember for AFP.

A widespread popular misconception at the time the events occurs is not evidence for the Mandela Effect later.

I remember back in the 90s when Brother Jed came to my university campus people would say, "Judge not lest ye be judged.' But I knew they were quoting the King James wrong, with King James sounding language, but not what it said. It says 'Judge not, that ye be not judged.' When this Mandala Effect thing came out, I saw a video from someone claiming that the Bible changed from 'Judge not lest ye be not judged' to 'Judge not, that ye be not judged.' That wasn't the case. It has just been a widespread misquote/misconception for years.

If a movie misquotes a line, like out of Star Wars, that creates or reinforces the wrong quote in the minds of much of the populace.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Regarding the two companies, Ed McMahon says, "Everybody gets us confused, so don't feel badly."

I think the early commercials did not mention the company name and said to look for Ed McMahon's face on the envelope, so they probably had a strategy of confusing the people into thinking it was the same company, then started pushing their own brand name in 1985 commercials.

It's an interesting marketing strategy. They might have initially confused themselves with PCH on purpose.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@MrMan

That's a good analysis. What you said would make sense within the bookends, assuming the Mandela Effect was impossible. It's the only logical explanation I guess, within the bookends of reality that is. However, keep in mind that no one has ever heard of American Family. But everyone has heard of PCH. Did you see those 9 min of residuals above, where everyone connected Ed McMahon to PCH? There were a lot of clips. Everyone can't be that wrong. It's too unlikely.

Also check out this clip of Johnny Carson handing David Letterman a million dollar check. As he's doing so, he says that he's doing it on behalf of Ed McMahon, who couldn't make it to the show. Then when he turns the big check toward the camera, you can clearly see "Publisher's Clearing House" on it! That's a huge residual! Keep in mind that Johnny Carson knew Ed McMahon and they were friends, so it's unlikely that he would get him mixed up with PCH if he only worked for American Family. Think about it.

Also check out the comments below the video. Everyone swears that they saw Ed McMahon giving out checks to people's homes for 1 million dollars. They remember it because it was on TV all the time in the early 80s and got very annoying after a while. That's why people remember it, because it was on TV too often and annoyed the heck out of people. Don't you remember it too? Were you in the US in the 80s? I definitely remember seeing it too. People also said they got junk mail from PCH with Ed McMahon's photo on it saying that if they returned the winning number, they could win 10 million dollars. I remember that too. Do you? Think for a while and see if you can remember it too.

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 2:45 am
@MrMan

That's a good analysis. What you said would make sense within the bookends, assuming the Mandela Effect was impossible. It's the only logical explanation I guess, within the bookends of reality that is. However, keep in mind that no one has ever heard of American Family. But everyone has heard of PCH. Did you see those 9 min of residuals above, where everyone connected Ed McMahon to PCH? There were a lot of clips. Everyone can't be that wrong. It's too unlikely.

Also check out this clip of Johnny Carson handing David Letterman a million dollar check. As he's doing so, he says that he's doing it on behalf of Ed McMahon, who couldn't make it to the show. Then when he turns the big check toward the camera, you can clearly see "Publisher's Clearing House" on it! That's a huge residual! Keep in mind that Johnny Carson knew Ed McMahon and they were friends, so it's unlikely that he would get him mixed up with PCH if he only worked for American Family. Think about it.
Sure they can be wrong. Who knows all the deals celebrities have on the side?

The thing is, when I read your post, I thought that can't be right. Ed McMahon was the Publisher's Clearing House guy. But then I saw the American Family Publisher commercial and I remembered the details. (Btw I read some psychological research that women tend to remember tiny details and men do not until they are prompted, unless its giving directions of how to go there. There is an exception for that. Women tend to remember clothing also.)

When my memory was triggered, I remember Ed McMahon actually being with AFP, and I remembered one of the commercials, and him saying 'American Family Publishers.' If you will notice, the first commercial does not emphasize the brand name. PCH already had people filling out envelopes and buying magazines to win the prize so they didn't have to put dozens of stamps all over to place to enter the sweepstakes. The 1984 commercial says something like 'the first ten million dollar prize.' The casual viewer just assumes with PCH. Why? Because we don't care that much about it. PCH was famous for delivering big checks to people's doors, and now we thought Ed McMahon was doing it. In the 1985 commercial, Ed emphasizes the APH brand. My guess is they intentionally wanted to be mistaken for PCH and wanted people looking for Ed McMahon's face.

What writer for comedy is going to check whether Ed McMahon was working for another company or not? Like the general populace, they had gotten the impression from the pre-1985 commercials that Ed McMahon was giving away checks for that big company that gives away the multi-million dollar prizes.

And yes he went door to door. The PCH guy was mistaken when he said that ed McMahon did not. I suppose he could have lied, but he probably just didn't know. And Ed McMahon may have just done that for photo ops, but one year he promised to be the guy. If they only gave out two prizes, one 10 million, and the other for 1 million, then Ed McMahon delivering checks would not have been a big deal.

It's also a brilliant marketing strategy-- let people think you are that other company, sell your stuff, and don't emphasize your brand name until you get market share. Also, getting a well-known celebrity who probably doesn't have much to do (laugh at Johnny's jokes, and be the straight man for a gag or two when Carson does something funny twice a year-- seems like he didn't do bits much anymore as it got into the 1980's) to be your spokesman, offering him a cut, and use his celebrity power to launch a money-making campaign. It reminds me of a sales office I worked for back when I was in college where they once sold stuff and the buyers thought they were with another company.

Also, the PCH envelope was yellow/manila and had a lot of stamps in it, and the AFP envelope was white and had Ed McMahon's face. I remember each of those envelopes in real life. Did you ever actually see or hold the envelopes?

The white envelope was in the other clip mentioned previously. This one shows the PCH envelope.
At this time, they were doing $10 million, too.

Again, after seeing the commercial, I remember it, and I remember Ed McMahon saying American Family Publishers.
Carson gives a pretend check to Letterman, from a different company from what his co-host gave away. PCH was more famous and associated more in people's minds than AFP. Would Carson have even have paid attention to what Ed McMahon did? Comedians are concerned with whether their bits get laughs or applause, not with accuracy. There was also no world wide web to check facts back then.
Also check out the comments below the video. Everyone swears that they saw Ed McMahon giving out checks to people's homes for 1 million dollars. They remember it because it was on TV all the time in the early 80s and got very annoying after a while. That's why people remember it, because it was on TV too often and annoyed the heck out of people. Don't you remember it too? Were you in the US in the 80s?
I was in the US. I went to high school in the late 1980's. I would guess the Ed McMahon commercials were in the late 1980's. There was one from 1985. That could have been the first one with him in it, but it was for a competitor. He did give out checks for American Family Publishers.
I definitely remember seeing it too. People also said they got junk mail from PCH with Ed McMahon's photo on it saying that if they returned the winning number, they could win 10 million dollars. I remember that too. Do you? Think for a while and see if you can remember it too.
Look at the videos and look at the two envelopes. I don't know if I ever did the AFP sweepstakes entry. I did the PCH. I remember the yellow envelope. I remember the white Ed McMahon envelope from the late 1980s. We probably got both and entered both.

Like you said, you found the commercials annoying. You probably tried to zone out and ignore the commercial, not remember the details. There is too much important stuff in life to remember. The details of a sweepstakes are important to those magazine company people, but not to an elementary school student or a teenager. Lots and lots of people share misconceptions and have vague memories of details that were unimportant to us, and that's normal. And we can also not pay attention to odd spellings and if we guess the spelling, our minds filled in extra letters to conform with patterns in our mind. It's the same mechanism that stereotyping comes from-- our minds simplying huge amounts of information to make it possible to function normally.

Thousands of people sharing the same oversimplification and misrememberings is a simpler explanation, according to Occam's razor, than the Mandela Effect. But the ME explanation is set up to be unfalsifiable. Those who believe in it can just claim that in 'your reality' there were two sweepstakes and in mine there was only one.

In reality, TV mistates facts all the time, not just comedians making jokes and describing fictional situations as a part of a bit, but actual newscasters. You could could create all kinds of 'evidence' for the Mandela Effect.

I suspect, though, that in the future 'Mandela Effect' will be defined as a sociological and psychological phenomenon of large numbers of people remembering the same facts wrong.

I think mass media further enables this. Because one celebrity can mistate facts and millions watch it. Also, a lot of these so-called Mandella Effects are strange spellings that our minds, trained with standard spelling, would reinterpret to simplyfy information, or other mental simplifications like that. We have a lot of people with minds sociologically trained the same way (spelling) and our minds function similarly, making short-cuts since we are all human.

Also, I notice this Mandela Effect theory emerged some time into an era where Post Modernist philosophy has taken foot, a philosophical mindset which emphasizes people having different perspectives or even 'realities.' Under Modernism, rational thought was supposed to lead many individuals to the same conclusion. Post-modernism just aligns with and allows for an explanation like the Mandela Effect, along with ideas from comic books and science fiction about mutli-verses, with even some physicists embracing the possibility, with no scientific evidence at all, possibly as an excuse to mathematically dismiss an argument for intelligent design of the universe.