Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

Scam free! Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Blue collar income

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Blue collar income

Postby BenT » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:43 pm

By nature, blue collar work entails personal labor in proportion to income. I'm looking for further feedback on how to capitalize particular skills and knowledge without having to bust knuckles every day for a living. (I'll write my personal story and situation in an introduction later.)

Beyond starting a YouTube channel that covers topics in an uncommonly straightforward way, I can't think of a way to residually capitalize off of my knowledge. I have some ideas about starting a DIY car and home maintenance website that gives answers without the usual fluff of articles and forums. (There's nothing more frustrating than trying to find information in the middle of a time-sensitive process, and some dudes start writing about their personal lives in a forum.)

Another route I'm trying is through licensing ideas. Still no hits on the first one I've put out, but it doesn't require risking thousands of dollars on non-provisional patents. I've only spent a little over $100 for my provisional patent and a mock-up. The cool part is you can license and invent anywhere in the world.

Still one route I've considered is selling my metal art. Any craftsman or artist who makes a name or develops state-side connections can continue their work abroad. You'll take a hit in shipping costs to get your work to a gallery, but your overhead costs if you want to open a studio or hire people are rock bottom in some locales.

Any other skilled trade ideas? I foresee trouble making it in the local labor markets as an expat, but I don't have to make as much if I'm debt free and own a house (or two.)

(Now that I think about it, house flipping might be a good idea around growing cities. But that's going to take connections and local knowledge of real estate. Perhaps a few years into living somewhere...)
BenT
Freshman Poster

Re: Blue collar income

Postby Kradmelder » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:16 am

It very much depends on what your skill is and the local market. Like there is no point trying to be a blue collar labourer in a country full of unskilled labour. There is no point being an industrial craftsman in a nation where industry is being outsourced and the whole nation is service sector.

Where you could do well if you are a qualfied tool and die maker is here. With the collapsing Rand and high import duties, mines always need spare parts and local manufacture would have huge spin offs. Like make parts for Caterpillar and such and sell them for far less than import costs. See what I mean it is skill and location dependent?
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Return to Working, Studying and Making A Living Abroad