Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

How do you deal with US taxes if you live overseas?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Post Reply
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1789
Joined: February 11th, 2008, 4:56 pm

How do you deal with US taxes if you live overseas?

Post by chanta76 » July 30th, 2014, 3:07 am

If you earn income in another country do you have to pay taxes in that country but also do you have to report your income to the US IRS and pay taxes on that?

Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 5749
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am

Post by Ghost » July 30th, 2014, 5:32 am

Americans don't have to pat taxes on approximately the first 100K of income. Still have to file though. As far as paying taxes to a foreign country, that all depends on which country.

Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » July 30th, 2014, 7:21 am

Ghost has it right. It's a good deal.

Some places won't tax you at all if you're new there (4 years in Colombia, also possibly Portugal) or there less than 6 months (most countries) or if you get paid into a US account and work online (Mexico, most Latin countries).

If you earn over 100k, or if you have some "unearned" trading profits or rental income or whatever, usually you can still just pay one country's tax, not both. The US has treaties with most high-tax countries, so they give you credit for what you already paid.

The only catch is to file the form 2555 "FEI Exclusion" form for expats ONTIME before April 15.

Also if you have over ten grand in bank or other liquid assets, file an FBAR form after January 1.

Those last 2 items are important. Everything else is no biggie.

Some states still want you to file state tax if you are going to be returning to that state. California does this, Virginia and several others. If you keep a home to return to, they'll figure that was your home all along. Basically if you can move to a state that doesn't care what you do abroad, like Georgia, before you go overseas, that's ideal. Of course if you have no income in that state, and you never return to that state, they can only pine away for you.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Working, Studying and Making A Living Abroad”