Antarctica!

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
rudder
Junior Poster

Antarctica!

Post by rudder »

Anyone know about working down there? I heard there's been some crazy, somewhat secretive activity there.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Antarctica!

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Yes, penguins lives there.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
rudder
Junior Poster

Post by rudder »

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

rudder wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 12:22 pm
Anyone know about working down there? I heard there's been some crazy, somewhat secretive activity there.
Out of curiosity, I looked up jobs down there, expecting to see a high mark-up in salaries for dealing with hardship conditions. At the time, I think a food-prep job paid in the 30's, if I remember right, working in some kind of science research camp. I realize food service workers can make bottom-of-the-barrel salaries, but even so, for living in a barren icy landscape, I expected decent pay for lousy conditions. I just looked it up, and it pays about $600 a week in Antarctica. But I read an offshore chef can make $67,400. So just imagine cooking on an oil rig. I think I would prefer that, especially in the tropics, to living on Antarctica.

Funding for science research is low compared to millions of dollars generated daily from an oil rig.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Why would anyone wants to work down there? Lousy money, no pu$$y, no entertainments, all snow.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 12:59 pm
Why would anyone wants to work down there? Lousy money, no pu$$y, no entertainments, all snow.
Exactly. At that point I'd rather live here. https://www.government.pn/
Huddo
Freshman Poster

Post by Huddo »

I’ve been involved in manufacturing serval pieces of equipment used at Antarctic bases. After a couple of colleagues travelled with a project to install it. They were each paid $7000 US for two weeks work and were paid their regular wage on the ship.

In my country if you have skills in construction, mechanics, welding, fitting etc… the pay isn’t too bad. If you’re employed by the government on longer contracts of 6-12 months, your average wage is a little over $1900 US per week. Base pay is approximately $900 PW and then an extra $1000 when you’re in Antarctica.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

publicduende wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 3:32 pm
April 12th, 2023, 12:59 pm
Exactly. At that point I'd rather live here. https://www.government.pn/
I would love to come with, but its difficult to locate it on the map and it seems there is no airport...little population and not lot of restuarants except Andy's Pizzeria.. Their pizza looks gross! :)
I rather live in the Netherlands, Malta, Portugal, Panama, etc.

Andy's Pizzeria in the island has the worst looking pizza ever. A culinary abomination! It looks like some grade schooler made the pizza.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 97142&z=16
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

April 13th, 2023, 6:20 am
Andy's Pizzeria in the island has the worst looking pizza ever. A culinary abomination! It looks like some grade schooler made the pizza.

LOLOL you made my day and then some! A pizza with the bubonic plague :D

Well, consider that, in an island inhabited by a mere 50 people, one of them had to be a pizzaiolo :)
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

publicduende wrote:
April 13th, 2023, 6:41 am
April 13th, 2023, 6:20 am

LOLOL you made my day and then some! A pizza with the bubonic plague :D

Well, consider that, in an island inhabited by a mere 50 people, one of them had to be a pizzaiolo :)
To an Italian man.. the pizza is absolutely ghastly, something out of the horror film. They would burn the pizza and beat up whoever made such horrid piece of work.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Huddo wrote:
April 13th, 2023, 1:39 am
I’ve been involved in manufacturing serval pieces of equipment used at Antarctic bases. After a couple of colleagues travelled with a project to install it. They were each paid $7000 US for two weeks work and were paid their regular wage on the ship.

In my country if you have skills in construction, mechanics, welding, fitting etc… the pay isn’t too bad. If you’re employed by the government on longer contracts of 6-12 months, your average wage is a little over $1900 US per week. Base pay is approximately $900 PW and then an extra $1000 when you’re in Antarctica.
It's weird how some working white men are still paid somewhat well in Australia. That will change soon.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:
April 13th, 2023, 7:14 am
Huddo wrote:
April 13th, 2023, 1:39 am

It's weird how some working white men are still paid somewhat well in Australia. That will change soon.
I heard trades in Australia pays well.. but that would change if the Aussie government employ Black female Lesbians or Transgenders or even coolies and Chinese ppl into all the lucrative positions... I don't know if Aussie government is more "Woke" than the U.S government...
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Pitcairn!

Post by publicduende »

April 13th, 2023, 6:45 am
To an Italian man.. the pizza is absolutely ghastly, something out of the horror film. They would burn the pizza and beat up whoever made such horrid piece of work.
To be fair, the photos on their website look slightly more appetizing...

https://andys-pizzeria.business.site/

Last edited by publicduende on April 13th, 2023, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

publicduende wrote:
April 13th, 2023, 9:13 am
April 13th, 2023, 6:45 am
To be fair, the photos on their website look slightly more appetizing...

https://andys-pizzeria.business.site/

The cheese isn't melted enough..and I don't understand what they try to achieve here.. looks like a trainwreck I had back in America..
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

April 13th, 2023, 9:16 am
The cheese isn't melted enough..and I don't understand what they try to achieve here.. looks like a trainwreck I had back in America..
Consider that you're, literally, on the remotest crack of the world!!! Not that one would die to travel there just to taste their pizza :D

Return to “Working, Studying, Making a Living Abroad”