Ukrainian guy at your service

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
Obormot
Freshman Poster

Ukrainian guy at your service

Post by Obormot »

Hi, guys.

I'm not looking for anything. I live in US, but I was born and raised in Ukraine and Russia. I also travel there at least once a year, so I know what's up.
I just feel like I might be of some help when it comes to visiting Ukraine or about Ukrainian and Russian culture in general.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

marklambo
Junior Poster

Post by marklambo »

welcome to the forum my friend. I'm sure that many of us would appreciate any help and advice you can provide. I'm actually planning my first trip to Ukraine and/or Russia in the next spring/summer time. I may even have some questions for you later! :D
Private Investment Club
3%-5% a month average returns. No trading involved, all collateral based with low risk. PM for details.

Private Jet Flights
PM for details.
Obormot
Freshman Poster

Post by Obormot »

Sure. No problem. You've missed Euro 2012 last summer, which was fun and good opportunity to visit Ukraine, but there's always the next time. :)
lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 20th, 2016, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obormot
Freshman Poster

Post by Obormot »

Russia and Ukraine are different in this sense. In Russia there's movement, members of which think that beating foreigners make them patriots.
I haven't heard of movement like that in Ukraine, but there's always a chance that you get in trouble with some guys. Even locals do get in trouble once in a while.
It's not something that would stop me though.

I would say Karate is popular as a recreational activity. More or less serious street fighters are usually boxers, kickboxers or wrestlers. The reason is that boxing takes 3 months to master well enough to fight random guys on the street, while with Karate it takes years to do the same.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

lone_yakuza wrote:Just wanted to ask, if I, as an NorthEast Asian dude who looks a lot like my picture, were to learn Russian/Ukrainian and the culture, respect it, and try to live there, would I still face a lot of the issues that I read about, especially with Neonazis in Russia murdering and wanting to kill foreigners?

Also, it seems Kyokushin Karate is very popular there, is this true from your experience?
Dude, forget about Eastern Europe, Ukraine, and Western Russia (i.e. Moscow, St. Petersburg)! Too many skinheads in those places! Stick with Central Asia, Far East Russia, or Novosobirsk--if you're Asian.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

zboy1 wrote: Dude, forget about Eastern Europe, Ukraine, and Western Russia (i.e. Moscow, St. Petersburg)! Too many skinheads in those places! Stick with Central Asia, Far East Russia, or Novosobirsk--if you're Asian.
Now THAT'S an overgeneralization if I ever read it! I have lived in Hungary for several years and never crossed paths with a skinhead (there might be a few, but if so, they are usually easy to avoid. Don't go to the nationalistic folk metal concerts!). I also spent a summer travelling around the western part of the Czech republic and never met anybody who looked like a skinhead. I have been to about a dozen towns in Romania and never seen a skinhead.

Some Hungarians might dislike Asians, but there are always exceptions. One Hungarian friend of mine who is a big, tall, white guy makes it a point to be very friendly to the Chinese people who run the local Chinese restaurant and he even reaches across the counter and shakes their hands!

Of course, there IS a lot of racism in Eastern Europe, but it's often not of the violent kind. I've never been to Russia, so I can't say anything about it.

Don't let stereotypes based on a few anecdotes be taken as fact, and don't overgeneralize a big, complicated region like Eastern Europe!
lone_yakuza
Freshman Poster

Post by lone_yakuza »

Last edited by lone_yakuza on November 20th, 2016, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obormot
Freshman Poster

Post by Obormot »

If you're scared, then you better stay home. :)
Andrewww
Freshman Poster

Post by Andrewww »

lone_yakuza wrote:Just wanted to ask, if I, as an NorthEast Asian dude who looks a lot like my picture, were to learn Russian/Ukrainian and the culture, respect it, and try to live there, would I still face a lot of the issues that I read about, especially with Neonazis in Russia murdering and wanting to kill foreigners?
This actually made be laugh, no one is gonna murder you dude. The biggest danger in Ukraine, Russia, Romania or Bulgaria are the stray dogs, many people get bitten by them. As far as I know they don't discriminate :lol: There's also pickpocketing, that's why I advise everyone not to carry valuable stuff around. Leave your $600 smartphone at home (if you go to places you've never been to), instead get a $20 one. Also, don't use credit cards, just cash.

Frankly I think the most important thing is to make friends, they will tell you everything you need to know and they will introduce you to women. People don't usually hang around all by themselves, they are very sociable. It's gonna be easy if you speak the language.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I'm not looking at western Russia. I am only looking at Far East Russia. But Far East Russia still has lots of "Russki" as ladislav would say.
As I would say? Try 140 million people saying that. And the skinheads are not beating up all foreigners. No one beats up Swedes there. No attacks on French people, either.[/b]
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
terminator
Junior Poster

Re: Ukrainian guy at your service

Post by terminator »

Obormot wrote:Hi, guys.

I'm not looking for anything. I live in US, but I was born and raised in Ukraine and Russia. I also travel there at least once a year, so I know what's up.
I just feel like I might be of some help when it comes to visiting Ukraine or about Ukrainian and Russian culture in general.
Hi,
Can you tell me what you think will happen in the future to the Ukraine? I feel it will re-unify with Russia somehow (or largely be controlled by Moscow as it is now). Also, do you think the people will ever improve their lives and get decent wages for work in smaller centres, outside of Keiv. It seems you need $1,000/month to live in Keiv and many jobs actually pay this, but in small towns people hardly-ever earn enough to live away from the parents.

Also, my favourtie city is Simferopol, as it's close to Yalta, but not as busy in summer - is it likely I could ever move there and get visas to stay without having to follow the 90/180 day rule? Even if I married there, I'd never be given residencey thanks to the bureaucracy.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Hi,
Can you tell me what you think will happen in the future to the Ukraine? I feel it will re-unify with Russia
This is about as likely as Norway and Finland "reunifying" with Sweden. The unification was just one deception- it was done under the guise of protecting the Cossacks from the Turks and the Poles. Before they knew it, they were annexed and their military democracy smothered and they were turned into a Russian territory against their will. They rebelled several times and redeclared independence and many people died. So, there was never a loving union per se.
(or largely be controlled by Moscow as it is now).
That is more likely. Kind of like US-Philippines like relationship. Do you think their presidents want to become just governors? No way.
Also, do you think the people will ever improve their lives and get decent wages for work in smaller centres, outside of Keiv. It seems you need $1,000/month to live in Keiv and many jobs actually pay this, but in small towns people hardly-ever earn enough to live away from the parents.
They will just go more rural and more natural. Unless there is more foreign investment.
Also, my favourtie city is Simferopol, as it's close to Yalta, but not as busy in summer - is it likely I could ever move there and get visas to stay without having to follow the 90/180 day rule? Even if I married there, I'd never be given residencey thanks to the bureaucracy.
Yeah, been there. Very nice.

Regarding Ukraine visas etc. I would google "Expat Ukraine Forum". They have a whole visa section. And lawyers are supposed to help you navigate the bureacracy. That is their job. Just find a good one. People live there married and all and they get visas. I see all these Arabs living there with their blond wives and building mosques and running around with not a care in the world.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Obormot
Freshman Poster

Post by Obormot »

terminator wrote: Hi,
Can you tell me what you think will happen in the future to the Ukraine? I feel it will re-unify with Russia somehow (or largely be controlled by Moscow as it is now). Also, do you think the people will ever improve their lives and get decent wages for work in smaller centres, outside of Keiv. It seems you need $1,000/month to live in Keiv and many jobs actually pay this, but in small towns people hardly-ever earn enough to live away from the parents.

I'm struggling to understand what will happen to Ukraine too. :)
I don't think Ukraine is under Moscow control now. I think there's tension between Putin and Yanukovich these days.
Basically, Putin ignores Yanukovich even though he supported him back in 2004. Apparently, Yanukovich has done something wrong.
As Ukrainian politicians claim, they still move towards EU just like during Yuschenko. I'm not sure EU needs Ukraine though. They got enough problems with Greece and Spain.

As far as level of income, I'm 100% sure Ukraine will soon be just like a poor EU country. It improves like nowhere else. For instance, in year of 2000 salary of $200 was considered high. In year of 2010 the same level of income would translate to a $2000 salary, which gives you 10x in 10 years.

Since the country is young, senior citizens are a big problem. Seniors haven't contributed to the current pension fund as they worked during USSR. Pensions are about $150 on average. Fortunately (or I should say unfortunately) it will resolve on its own after a while.

Real estate prices go up and almost all of it is paid off. It's quite different from US situation, where mortgage is just like another tax.

Not sure about current situation in the countryside. Few jobs there.

I'm not sure about immigration to Ukraine as I never had this problem. :)

Hope this helps.