New member introduction

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
verbosityincarnate
Freshman Poster

New member introduction

Post by verbosityincarnate »

I stumbled upon this website a week or two ago, I can't remember from where, though it was definitely an expat/monger blog that directed me here, and I've been reading through some threads ever since. Given the seemingly light touch moderation here and the Cheers-like familiarity that the regulars seem to have with one another, I figured it was worth joining.

I'm a American/Canadian dual citizen with an inclination towards renouncing the former at some point after successful expatriation given the absurdity that is FATCA compliance and FBAR disclosures, among other legal burdens that go with the American citizenship. I've been flirting with various notions about the best expatriation strategy and potential destinations, though I remain somewhat undecided. No doubt the actual permanent departure from the US is several years off. I'm 27, an underemployed and consequently indebted graduate degree holder, and my credentials aren't exactly portable, so finding a suitable income stream will require a bit of creative problem solving.

I don't ever want children, though to date, I've not yet managed to get a vasectomy. I also have zero interest in marrying, whether here or abroad, because I have enough of an understanding of the nature of the institution, apart from the various national legal codes that worsen its appeal, to understand that it is a losing proposition for men in the 21st century. As far as women go, they'd be a future consideration only insofar as wanting to avoid women who've been tainted by Western feminism.
"Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't they'd be married too." - HL Mencken