Military Service

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
MarkDY
Freshman Poster

Post by MarkDY »

Another reason to avoid the US Military is that it has been taken over by the religious right. If you are not a bible believing born again Christian (and an Zionist) you’re life will be hell.
Heart of Shadows
Freshman Poster

Post by Heart of Shadows »

Damn..

Was looking at the military as an option if I had no choice but after reading this I think I would rather survive on the streets while moving around.
"It is a sign of creeping inner death when we can no longer praise the living."
Eric Hoffer

"If human beings were shown what they're really like, they'd either kill one another as vermin, or hang themselves."
Aldous Huxley
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Think Different wrote:
magnum wrote:Thank you all for your opinions experience and advice.
As for my age, I'm 26, so times running short for choices.
I'm vary much one to be at home in conflict, but as a lot of you already said, without morals honor and any reason past seflish political economical gains in this days wars, I can't bring my self to join at this time.
That and I don't think women are much for getting hitched to military men who they wont see for months at a time.
You're still young enough to enlist in the French Foreign Legion, and once you've completed your time in there, they give you the French citizenship. I know it's been discussed on this forum before, so do a search for it.
http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/faq.php

I'd note that joining the French Foreign Legion means higher chance of being deployed to North Africa these days. The French are far more gun-ho with Libya than the US.
GuitarGuy996
Freshman Poster

Post by GuitarGuy996 »

I'm in the reservse. Unless you are already in or have aspirations of getting a commission, I say stay out. Deployments are rough. The average deployments for my job are 1 year - The overseas workload is 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. You get some tiny extra payments for being overseas but when you do the math, you are NOT getting sufficiently paid for the amount of work you'll be doing - not to mention the risk of getting wounded or killed. I think if you have plans to make a career out of the military by going officer, then it's possibly worth considering. The money/benefits are decent and there's room for growth.