How do you arrange wallets, phones, keys in your pockets?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

How do you arrange wallets, phones, keys in your pockets?

Post by Winston »

Sorry if this is a trifling question, but I'm very curious about it.

How do most guys arrange their wallet, smart phone and set of car/house keys in their pants pockets without carrying a shoulder bag?

I mean, if you put your wallet in one front pocket and your smart phone in the other, then where do you put your keys? If you put them in the same pocket as your smart phone, then it would eventually damage the hull or screen of the smart phone of course, as the keys would puncture the hull or scratch it. I've damaged several flip phones in the past that way. But if you put the keys or phone with the wallet, then it will create a huge bulge, which I don't see on most guys. Plus if you are wearing tight jeans, the pockets don't have enough room for that anyway.

Obviously, you can't use your back pockets either, because

1) Anyone could easily pickpocket you there.
2) It's very uncomfortable to sit down if you have your wallet, phone or keys in your back pocket of course.

Most guys do not wear cargo pants with extra side pockets either. And most guys do not carry a shoulder bag unless they're traveling, so they can't be putting them in there. Women of course, don't have to worry about this because they put all these items in their purse.

So how do most guys arrange these items in their pants pockets? I can't figure it out. Sorry if this is a trifling question, but I've always been curious about it. It's one of those little mysteries I don't get. So I thought I'd bring it up to see how you guys arrange it.

Look forward to your answers. Thanks.
Last edited by Winston on October 1st, 2013, 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: How do guys fit their wallet, phone, keys in their pants

Post by Teal Lantern »

Winston wrote:Sorry if this is a trifling question, but I'm very curious about it.

How do most guys arrange their wallet, smart phone and set of car/house keys in their pants pockets?

I mean, if you put your wallet in one front pocket and your smart phone in the other, then where do you put your keys? If you put them in the same pocket as your smart phone, then it would eventually damage the hull or screen of the smart phone of course, as the keys would puncture the hull or scratch it. I've damaged several flip phones in the past that way. But if you put the keys or phone with the wallet, then it will create a huge bulge, which I don't see on most guys. Plus if you are wearing tight jeans, the pockets don't have enough room for that anyway.

2) It's very uncomfortable to sit down if you have your wallet, phone or keys in your back pocket of course.

Most guys do not wear cargo pants with extra side pockets either. And most guys do not carry a shoulder bag unless they're traveling, so they can't be putting them in there. Women of course, don't have to worry about this because they put all these items in their purse.

So how do most guys arrange these items in their pants pockets? I can't figure it out. Sorry if this is a trifling question, but I've always been curious about it. It's one of those little mysteries I don't get. So I thought I'd bring it up to see how you guys arrange it.

Front pockets: Keys & coins in one pocket, phone and wallet in the other pocket.
Tight pants? WTF is wrong with you? Tight pants make your nuts hurt. :lol:
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Dress pants usually have a button on the back pockets, and pick pocketing usually isnt a concern, unless you are in a tourist trap or large city.

I put my wallet in my back pocket every time unless there isnt one.

The problem with the front pocket is when you sit down, your wallet will slip out. You may get up and leave your wallet behind without realizing it.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

What are you carrying in the wallet that is so important? I have a phone case that has a slit on it so I can slide in two credit or ATM cards. If for some reason I really need to bring a wallet with me, I have one of those one-piece wallets that has a place for cash and several slots for credit and ATM cards.

Keys and coins - front left pocket.
Phone and cash - right pocket

If I need to bring my wallet, I have a small wallet, not some monstrosity. It can easily fit in the same pocket with my keys and coins.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:What are you carrying in the wallet that is so important? I have a phone case that has a slit on it so I can slide in two credit or ATM cards. If for some reason I really need to bring a wallet with me, I have one of those one-piece wallets that has a place for cash and several slots for credit and ATM cards.

If I need to bring my wallet, I have a small wallet, not some monstrosity. It can easily fit in the same pocket with my keys and coins.
My wallet has my cash and credit cards, ATM card, driver's license, ID, health insurance card, photos, and business cards. All of that makes it thick. Don't most guys carry a wallet around? I wouldn't put a credit card of ATM card in a cell phone case, especially overseas. My wallet is chained to my pants with a PacSafe chain.

Why are your keys and coins in your left pocket? Mine are in my right pocket. I also try to put the coins in my wallet too, so they don't move around and fall out when I sit down or lie down.

I'd like to minimize what I carry around too. But how?

Not all pants have big pockets. Some jeans have small ones. And some slacks have slanted pockets where things from the front pocket may fall out if you sit down. If you wear baggy pants, the pockets will be big, but everyone says they make you look fat and don't look good on me.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Winston wrote:
anamericaninbangkok wrote:What are you carrying in the wallet that is so important? I have a phone case that has a slit on it so I can slide in two credit or ATM cards. If for some reason I really need to bring a wallet with me, I have one of those one-piece wallets that has a place for cash and several slots for credit and ATM cards.

My wallet has my cash and credit cards, ATM card, driver's license, ID, health insurance card, photos, and business cards. All of that makes it thick. Don't most guys carry a wallet around? I wouldn't put a credit card of ATM card in a cell phone case, especially overseas. My wallet is chained to my pants with a PacSafe chain.

Why are your keys and coins in your left pocket? Mine are in my right pocket. I also try to put the coins in my wallet too, so they don't move around and fall out when I sit down or lie down.

I'd like to minimize what I carry around too. But how?

Not all pants have big pockets. Some jeans have small ones. And some slacks have slanted pockets where things from the front pocket may fall out if you sit down. If you wear baggy pants, the pockets will be big, but everyone says they make you look fat and don't look good on me.
Cash can go in your pocket.

I have a health insurance card and when I'm traveling I'll bring it. Otherwise I have a photo of it in my phone.

How many ATM cards and credit cards do you use at any one time? At most I use a credit card and an ATM card.

Also, my phone case snaps on and the cards slide into it. It no different than any other phone case and is not a wallet. If you don't lose the phone there won't be any problems. If this won't do, get one of those single wallets like the ones below.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ladislav told me he was wondering the same thing:

Ladislav:
I've been wondering about the same thing. I carry a small travel bag with all the pockets and everything and even that is not enough sometimes.

Not only that-- when traveling, many people do not have a travel bag-- but they carry a passport and a ticker- which are bulky. They also need to carry a pen and keys and the cellphone.

Most look smug and happy with not a care in the world.

I suggest you post this on answers.yahoo.com somewhere.
He has a good point. I wonder how guys who are traveling manage all these items in their pockets without carrying a shoulder bag.

onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

I just put them in my pockets. Thankfully my wallet is small due to not having money. I generally never wear cargo pants either, just jeans or workout pants.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Good thread, actually. My son struggles with this, he hates the bulge of keys ruining his pants.

My solution, reading this thread - no tight pants.

I wear my pants loose, and the wallet stays down in the right front pocket, along with keys.

Iphone in left pocket, by itself.

Handkerchief (no value), in right rear pocket.

Going to Mexico soon, going to carry a little extra cash in a hidden money belt. But normally I carry a lot of cash in my wallet, along with cards, and have never had a problem. But I am very very paranoid and protective of the wallet when seated in a bar or a taxi, or anywhere in Mexico.

I use a fanny pack when hiking etc., and actually that can cause more problems, say if I go to a restaurant after hiking. Wallet etc easily "climb" out the top if I fail to close the zipper.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's a great and secure travel shoulder bag I found on Ebay that has several layers of protection and straps to guard against pickpocketing. It also has inner pockets for credit cards, passports and cell phones, as you can see in the image below, which will help free up your pockets as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Travel ... 0753849571

NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Re: How do guys arrange wallets, phones, keys in their pocke

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Winston wrote:Sorry if this is a trifling question, but I'm very curious about it.

How do most guys arrange their wallet, smart phone and set of car/house keys in their pants pockets?

For one, I just got a new phone. It's a rugged phone with military grade specs and is waterproof. Those ipones and so forth are too fragile and many guys I see who have them have screens on them that are cracked. My phone is the new GRavine: Image

The phone I keep in my right pocket alone so it does not get scratched up by anything. As far as other stuff, I never carry any change or lots of keys as I hate to have people hear me before they even see me. So I have just a few keys and a slim wallet that I keep in my left pocket.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Winston wrote:Here's a great and secure travel shoulder bag I found on Ebay that has several layers of protection and straps to guard against pickpocketing. It also has inner pockets for credit cards, passports and cell phones, as you can see in the image below, which will help free up your pockets as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Travel ... 0753849571

I wouldn't use that unless you're camping or going on a hike in the woods. In a urban area, it's too big of a target and you make yourself look like a mark for a thief. You have all your stuff in one place and if somebody steals that bag or rips it away from you, you're screwed.

I don't carry or hold onto anything and I stash money, keys, phones, in different places.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

NorthAmericanguy wrote: I wouldn't use that unless you're camping or going on a hike in the woods. In a urban area, it's too big of a target and you make yourself look like a mark for a thief. You have all your stuff in one place and if somebody steals that bag or rips it away from you, you're screwed.

I don't carry or hold onto anything and I stash money, keys, phones, in different places.
You're right. It's better not to put all your eggs in one basket. But the bag above is helpful for keeping cell phones, digital cameras, accessories, toiletries, toothbrush and toothpaste, Tylenol, pens, papers, chargers for your phone and camera, USB flash drives, etc. I keep my HA pamphlets in them.

Do you think it's better to put your passport in your main luggage, or carry it around in a passport belt or shoulder bag?

How many of you carry shoulder bags around? Ladislav, Rock and I do. Do any of you?

coleendonovan07
Freshman Poster

Re: How do you arrange wallets, phones, keys in your pockets

Post by coleendonovan07 »

Good Day!!To arrange my things in my pocket is to separate those things..My idea is my wallet is in the back and my phone and keys is in the front of my pocket..Thanks for sharing...
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re:

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
NorthAmericanguy wrote: I wouldn't use that unless you're camping or going on a hike in the woods. In a urban area, it's too big of a target and you make yourself look like a mark for a thief. You have all your stuff in one place and if somebody steals that bag or rips it away from you, you're screwed.

You're right. It's better not to put all your eggs in one basket. But the bag above is helpful for keeping cell phones, digital cameras, accessories, toiletries, toothbrush and toothpaste, Tylenol, pens, papers, chargers for your phone and camera, USB flash drives, etc. I keep my HA pamphlets in them.

Do you think it's better to put your passport in your main luggage, or carry it around in a passport belt or shoulder bag?

How many of you carry shoulder bags around? Ladislav, Rock and I do. Do any of you?
My critical stuff (IDs and credit/debit cards) are in a small wallet which remains in my tight front pocket. I can feel it pressing against my leg. My shoulder bag is just camera, iPad, earphones, pen, and a few ID pics. I generally do not carry my passport around with me.

You should take a photo of all your critical IDs and stuff so that if you loose them, you know quickly what is gone so you can cancel the cards, apply for new IDs, etc.