Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Ashamed of your own ethnicity/race?

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Ashamed of your own ethnicity/race?

Postby Inter2002 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:48 pm

I live in the suburbs of North Texas within the Dallas area. I live in the northern part where whites are the majority. As a Hispanic American I remember feeling ashamed of my race ethnicity since the beginning of middle school all the way through high school, that I would lie and say that I'm either Greek, Bulgarian, Italian or any other Southern European nationality. Is there been anyone here who can relate to this? I have had this racial complexity over a period of several years starting either in 4th or 5th grade.

Just 2-3 years after graduating high school I decided it was enough and it was no good to lie, so therefore I started to say that I'm Hispanic American and that my mother is from Mexico, and my dad is from Argentina.

I was reluctant to date any girl during my high school years since the only girls that I was attracted to were white girls. I hate to confess that I went as far as looking up ways to lighten up my skin color, change my eye color through hypnosis, and even dye my hair lighter, planning to have an ethnic nose job, thin my lips, so that way I would look European Hispanic, not have any Amerindian features. I've been shy my whole life, as well as have a low self esteem.

This one time during my senior year I asked this girl who was in my table if she knew a way to lighten up my skin, then a guy said "I don't know, why don't you ask Michael Jackson?", and he went on to say "Aren't you satisfied?".

As of now I don't mind having brown eyes, black hair and tan skin.
Inter2002
Freshman Poster

Re: Ashamed of your own ethnicity/race?

Postby chibolo » Mon May 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Wow man that sucks... I must say I don't get why you feel so ashamed of being a mestizo latino. I wouldn't mind having some of that naturally tan skin you guys have myself (I am a pasty white guy :D ). Maybe you should take a trip to Latin America where you will blend in more and feel less different. I am sure many girls will be curious about a latin guy from the US.

What I also don't understand is why most guys on this forum are so obsessed with dating white women. I have seen lots of mestiza girls who are FAR more attractive than the average white girl.

Last edited by chibolo on Mon May 04, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Postby MarcosZeitola » Mon May 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Never be ashamed of your race. You are who you are. You cannot change who your parents are, who your ancestors are, what your genes are. There are many things you can change, but these you never will. You cannot fight it, so embrace it.

There's nothing more pathetic then a self-hating [INSERT ANY GIVEN ETHNICITY].

I've never been ashamed of my race. At times I have even been proud of my race. Nowadays, I am just neutral about it. I'm a white man and enjoy being a white man, but had I been an Indian, Black or Latino man I would not have felt any less or better for it. It's just one of those things you have no control over. So why give so much thought to something you have no control over? Focus on the things you can change instead.
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster

-----

Postby Ghost » Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zboy1 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:58 pm

Asians are notorious self-haters; have any of you been around any Asian American people? It's truly pathetic, sigh...

Even in Asia, it exists. That's the only thing that bothers me about my race/ethnicity is the lack of pride among Asian people around the world. Otherwise, I'm happy being Asian.
Find teaching jobs in China at http://workabroad.today
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Yohan » Tue May 05, 2015 4:34 pm

There are always some voices out which are telling you to be ashamed of something.

I don't care. My race, gender, history of my nation before I even was born etc. is not my fault. There is nothing what I can do about it. We cannot choose our parents.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Jester » Sat May 09, 2015 3:11 am

Yohan wrote:
There are always some voices out which are telling you to be ashamed of something.

This is the point.

One kid is embarrassed about his ears. He goes on to be President.

You get the idea.

We have to decide to love ourselves. Period.

Appearance not quite what you would have chosen? Yeah, me neither. Develop a personality. Or a talent.

And be grateful you're a man. If you were a chick, you'd have to f**k around with makeup your whole life.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to Questions and Advice