Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

How do you guys stay sane?

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: How do you guys stay sane?

Postby MarcosZeitola » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:51 am

Evidently, most people here DON'T stay sane.
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:03 am

MarcosZeitola wrote:Evidently, most people here DON'T stay sane.

How are those ideas for a harem going? Mr. sane man.
-"Virescit vulnere virtus"
Eric
Junior Poster

Postby retiredfrank » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:13 am

Wait a minute. I've been away from this forum for a while. You're saying Marcos is now talking about having mistresses in addition to his wife? Please point to those threads.
retiredfrank
Freshman Poster

Postby wanderlust » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:24 pm

To me it's a matter of balance, and here are some vital ingredients:

- financial solvency and future
- good health
- keeping stress low

Sometimes it seems the sane people in the world are under siege - bombarded by unsavory media and advertisements, obnoxious music, unrelenting stream of ominous changes making the news. At those times the best defense can be just withdrawing and tuning those influences out. A lot of people (men I think) have noted that online dating is a stress trigger (any surprise there? :roll: ).

Healthy relationships of any kind, romantic or not, are known to lower stress. Exercise, sleep and healthy diet are known to be more effective against mild depression than prescriptions. Spend time in the sunlight, go to a natural setting. Recently it made the news that seeing trees relieves stress, and the more trees, the greater the relief. Sounds strange but it was supported by a study (sorry, don't have a link to post).

A healthy diet can improve things. Cook your food from ingredients and you'll cut out the additives, dyes, preservatives and a fair amount of sugar.

Taking up a constructive hobby that involves actually using one's hands can be helpful - carpentry, auto repair, cooking. In other words, NOT facebook, video gaming, gore movies, reality TV.

Last idea I'll mention is using one's mind. Learning new things through reading for example. I recall reading that occupations such as science and engineering had lower rates of Alzheimers, so that can literally help you stay sane. Find a subject to study and read about that feel connected with.

Planning for the long term rather than searching for quick fixes tends to produce sustained improvement.
wanderlust
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:28 pm

+1 to Wanderlust's point about learning new things. My grandmother had Alzheimers, and it's a really distressing condition. It's been proven that nuns should have major problems with Alzheimers, but because they are constantly learning, they rarely show symptoms.

Learning a new language is a good project, especially one completely different to your native tongue. I just did my Chinese HSK2 test so that was good brain training, plus it's a huge talking point on my resume.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Questions and Advice