Possible solution to keep from going insane

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
cheesesweat
Freshman Poster

Possible solution to keep from going insane

Post by cheesesweat »

Not sure how many that read this have read my previous rants, but I am very unhappy in Hawaii/America. I want to live abroad so badly, but I really don’t see an easy way out. I’ve come up with a possible solution, and it seems that many others here might be doing the similar things.

Seems many people that recognize the severe problems in America, especially in the social, mental and physical health departments have tested and confirmed the happierabroad lifestyle and want to continue their pursuit for a better life abroad.

What I gather from reading through different posts is that many guys here are making their money in America and simply taking frequent trips to foreign countries. Seems like Winston spends actually quite a bit of time in America and gets something out of nature at least. It appears a lot of guys have a hard time making good money in foreign countries, so they make their money in America and use it to travel abroad as much as possible. Seems like that’s why many of these guys go to south east Asia since what little money they make goes a long way in those countries. Trying to live permanently in Europe is a different story.

I am smack dab in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so I am very limited on places I can go. Traveling to Europe regularly is just way too far and too expensive. Japan is the closest place abroad that I would actually want to visit. There are some island nations that are closer, but I have very little desire to visit more tropical islands. There is a very large Japanese population here and as a result there are all kinds of reasonable travel/tour packages to Japan.

I was able to travel to Osaka last year and loved it. Japan might not be my number #1 favorite destination of all time, but for getting the hell out of here for while and escaping the crappy feeling of being here every day it should do just fine. I think it’s about an 8 or 9 flight from here. I think that with my job I could possibly trade weekend work for extra vacation days meaning working two months straight could get me 16 vacation days. That might be enough regular vacation to keep my sanity and enjoy life abroad for a while before coming back to the BS.

My question is how many people are living in America but travel abroad as much as possible, as opposed to permanently moving to a foreign country. If so, how is it working for you, and is it satisfying enough?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: Possible solution to keep from going insane

Post by Shemp »

I'm retired, and currently spend 8 months in Europe (which can be extremely cheap if you go to small towns in Eastern Europe, though you need to speak the local language to get good prices). Of the 4 months in the USA, which remains my official domicile, 2 are spent bicycle touring dirt roads of the desert southwest (where I am now) so I seldom interact with other humans. The other 2 months are for taking care of business matters. I would like to move to Europe permanently, but it's too much nuisance to move there permanently right now. Maybe 10 years from now.

When I was younger, I worked non-stop to allow semi-retiring at age 34 and full retirement at age 40. But I had a lucrative job and later a lucrative home business. If I were a typical young guy in the USA, with an average paying job, I would do like you are thinking of doing, except to Central America. Or I would take long hiking trips in the USA mountains, which can be a very cheap lifestyle. If you are living in Hawaii, I think you can illegally camp for weeks at a time in the jungle of the big Island to get away from it all.
cheesesweat
Freshman Poster

Post by cheesesweat »

@Shemp Thanks for the response. Yeah, getting away from the Oahu is nice. I was able to visit Kauai for a while and enjoy it. It definitely felt better, calmer, friendlier. I could probably somewhat enjoy living there for a while, although it wouldn’t be spectacular or anything. I hope one day I can figure out how to live abroad. I don’t have any good plan yet. Like you said trying to live permanently in Europe was a nuisance. Hopefully, I can remain patient for now.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Shemp wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm
I would like to move to Europe permanently, but it's too much nuisance to move there permanently right now. Maybe 10 years from now.
Eh, you'll be dead before then.