Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Jackson, Pearl, & Meridian Mississippi, Birmingham Alaba

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Jackson, Pearl, & Meridian Mississippi, Birmingham Alaba

Postby momopi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:38 am

Things I've observed:

* Bad neighborhoods in the South do not always have the same obvious indicators found elsewhere. You won't find graffiti, bars on windows, check cashing places, bail bonds, etc. The neighborhood can look deceptively normal to an outsider. My client's office WAS in Jackson, but they moved to Pearl after too many incidents. The last was when one of their employees stepped outside and was hit over the head with a wooden board from some nut job who wanted his wallet.

* Instead of Barnes & Noble they have Books a Million with "Joe Muggs" inside (instead of Starbucks).

* Southern hospitality is still alive and kicking, people here say "come and stay" instead of "welcome to XYZ, now go home".

* The folks here are very nice and a little slow, except when they're driving. The nice lady who speaks real slow in person will cut you off on the road.

* It's actually hard to find Southern cooking in the restaurants here (other than fast food). But I suppose if you eat Southern cooking at home every day, you'd want to go eat Mexican food at Chilli's when you dine out. I had to go eat chicken dumplings at Cracker Barrel. @_@;; The hole in the wall places here that locals say is good, I wasn't as impressed with their po' boys.

* In retail stores and restaurants (does not necessarily reflect rest of demographic), the white people here are wider than the blacks.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:58 pm

I finally got around to uploading the photos from my trip to Alamo & Memphis TN. If anyone is an Elvis fan, I visited Graceland and took some photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/momopi/AlamoMemphisTN#

Elvis was probably the most well known performer in his era. If you look at the interiors of his house, I think a good part of it would be considered modest by today's McMansion standards. Back then the bathrooms and closets were kinda small. Today the new home buyers want giant walk-in closets and bathrooms the size of a bedroom.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby NorthAmericanguy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:51 am

Cool^^
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Return to North America, Domestic Relocation