Americans in Movies vs. Real Life

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:
Pogroms have been widespread everywhere and against many groups.
You make your point well. And thanks.

Some of these things I knew about, some I didn't, and some I doubted.
ladislav wrote: In most of those cases, pogroms were against people who were citizens and /or who were born and raised in the country.
This is what is most chilling. Like in Azerbaijan, in Sumgait and Baku. People had lived together, as neighbors, for at least 100 years. Then butchery, not over a local offense, but over a territorial issue in another area.

ladislav wrote: There were places/time periods in those countries where/when massacres did not happen and where/when everyone lived in peace. Tesla for one, was Serbian by blood but he was born in Croatia. If you ask him about pogroms, he would say- "nothing like that ever happened to me". And he would probably look to Croatia as his motherland/homeland.....

So, just because these pogroms happened, it does not mean that they happened in every place in that country and that they happened to every single hated minority person who lived in that country. Some places were spared and nothing happened there....

.....Some people were in some other place where things were going OK. So, if you meet them, they will say:

"Nothing like that ever happened to me".
Interesting, and educational. Thanks again.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Believe it or not, some Russian women didn't believe them when I told them that American girls were stuck up and not as approachable as Russian girls are. I think their logic was this:

1. Hollywood movies show American girls as very open, friendly and easy.
2. Winston Wu says the opposite and claims it's all a lie.

Who is more credible: The American media or some dorky Asian guy like Winston Wu? More likely the media. Why should I believe one unknown guy over what I see on TV?

Stupid isn't it? lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Winston wrote:Believe it or not, some Russian women didn't believe them when I told them that American girls were stuck up and not as approachable as Russian girls are. I think their logic was this:

1. Hollywood movies show American girls as very open, friendly and easy.
2. Winston Wu says the opposite and claims it's all a lie.

Who is more credible: The American media or some dorky Asian guy like Winston Wu? More likely the media. Why should I believe one unknown guy over what I see on TV?

Stupid isn't it? lol
Russian authorities note spikes in childbirths every time after a sexy American movie is imported and hundreds of thousands besiege theaters to see how those Americans live and make love and then they go back home to make babies- just like Americans.
Thank you.
Sure. Oh, by the way, Jester, I have known Chinese people from Malaysia and Indonesia. All were cocky, confident with a spring in their steps and considered those countries their homelands.

Not everyone was as lucky as them.

* graphic disturbing images removed
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ladislav,
I took that great summary you wrote about the biggest culture shock that immigrants experience in America and turned it into a pamphlet. Check it out here:

http://www.happierabroad.com/CultureShock.pdf

See my other pamphlets for distribution here:
http://www.happierabroad.com/Pamphlets.htm

Come on guys. You need to print these out and hand it out to those with a potential interest to help spread the word. Why am I the only one doing this?

If any of you would like to design a pamphlet of your own (under two pages) to post on there, let me know.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ArchibaultNew
Freshman Poster

Re: Americans in Movies vs. Real Life

Post by ArchibaultNew »

This is very interesting topic. Do you guys have some movie recommendations.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Americans in movies are seen as friendly and open (especially women in American movies). In real life, we know the exact opposite is true.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
ArchibaultNew
Freshman Poster

Post by ArchibaultNew »

Could you guys give examples!