Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Southern vs Northern US

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Southern vs Northern US

Postby have2fly » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:44 pm

I know I may sound dumb, but I live in the South now and people do seem different. What do you guys have to say? Are all Southerners just rednecks or people are actually friendlier?
Junior Poster

Postby gsjackson » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:48 am

Yeah, people are friendlier in the South, at least on the surface. An awful lot of southern women seem to be either evangelical Christians or low lifes. The evangelicals can have some good qualities, but you need to completely embrace the culture and speak the lingo -- at some point you'll need to have a born-again experience, accept Jesus as your personal savior, etc. I mean, it's very specific language and behavior that you will need to adopt, unless you have the strength of personality to make the woman accept you as an outsider to her subculture.

In the bars, low-lifes are pretty much all you'll find in the South. The region doesn't have the same tradition of drinking and bonhomie that the old Catholic ethnic groups of the East and Midwest do, and the prevailing Protetantism has traditionally frowned on the social vices, such as drinking and dancing. Yes, dancing. Wake Forest University in North Carolina, for one, banned it until just a few decades ago.

At this point, though, the entire country has gotten pretty much homogenized, at least in the youth culture.

Where are you?
Experienced Poster

Postby Winston » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:21 am

So if southern women are friendlier, are they attracted to people that look different? For example, are they curious about Asian men?

I've heard mixed things. Some say the South is too racist. Others say it is very open and easy to talk to strangers there.

Any trip reports from Tennessee, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, etc.?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Site Admin

Southern vs Northern US

Postby rvacation » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 am

I grew up in SF Bay Area and have lived in North San Diego for the past 20 years, as well as spending time in the middle (San Luis Obispo). There are definite differences between NorCal and SoCal but as with anywhere, there is good and bad about each.

Northern California is beautiful and varied and there are so many places to visit within a 4 hour drive, so weekend trips can be varied and very doable - countless beaches, Lake Tahoe, Lassen Park, Yosemite, small towns, wine tasting . . . Good skiing is close. Southern California doesn't have as many choices - the desert, Mexico, LA or San Diego or Santa Barbara and that's it. There are better swimming beaches and the water is warmer, but NorCal has beautiful natural beaches which are very nice in the summer and are good for sunbathing and swimming (I did it for years).

NorCal weather is somewhat more varied. Winters are colder than SoCal and there is more rain. NorCal folks are generally more liberal in their thinking and more environmentally aware.

Both are great places to raise kids because there are a lot of things to do. Year round good weather allows kids to spend as much time outdoors as they want. San Francisco is more cosmopolitan than LA and SD.

Cost of living is about the same wherever you live in California - simply put, outrageous. SF used to be much more expensive, but the gap has narrowed. Every metropolitan area has affordable neighborhoods that are quite nice.

I prefer the north because of peoples' attitudes, the landscape, the weather, and its proximity to so much, but I love where I live in SD..

Freshman Poster

Return to North America, Domestic Relocation