Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill?

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
Winston
Site Admin

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill?

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
At the used bookstore today I picked up a copy of the famous and well cited book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. Have any of you read it? If so, what did you think of it? Is it helpful or useful? Does it have good advice? Or is it just another pop psychology New Age type claptrap about positive thinking and "belief creates reality" cliches?

Of course, a practical realist will say "If you could become rich by reading a book, everyone would do it." So we could conclude that such books may help, but in the end, even if everyone did everything the book teaches, still, only a small percentage of people will succeed and become wealthy.

There are many versions of this book for some reason. Here are two versions on Amazon.com:

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

If you already have that attitude about the book, you are probably wasting your time reading it. Know, however, that a great many wealthy and successful people, even Bruce Lee, I recently found, swear by it.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The_Adventurer wrote:If you already have that attitude about the book, you are probably wasting your time reading it. Know, however, that a great many wealthy and successful people, even Bruce Lee, I recently found, swear by it.
Did the book help you? If so, how? I've started reading it and it is interesting so far. Why are there so many versions of it? That's confusing.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

It's a good read. It's nice to read something not so politically correct.

One interesting nugget is that he claims men can't get rich before the age of 40 - women clouds their judgement.

I guess the Internet age has made it easier for younger dudes to make money in their earlier lives.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston, I bought that book when I was in college and it was very informative and well written. I should read it again, since it's been years since I read it last. It's not your typical "self help book" it actually has practical ideas that anyone can use in their every day life.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Winston wrote:
The_Adventurer wrote:If you already have that attitude about the book, you are probably wasting your time reading it. Know, however, that a great many wealthy and successful people, even Bruce Lee, I recently found, swear by it.
Did the book help you? If so, how? I've started reading it and it is interesting so far. Why are there so many versions of it? That's confusing.
From what I've heard, some earlier draft of the book was a bit more new age-ish, but it was eventually revised to be more practical and hands on. The book has helped me a lot. I think if I stuck harder to the principals I would be even further along.

It is interesting what Xiongmao says about wealth and age. Studying a large number of super rich, outisde of the tech age and entertainment stuff, they pretty much ALL become millionaires after 40, and billionaires after 60. This primarily applies to real business men. Things like Facebook are, in my opinion, more akin to someone putting out a super successful movie and getting rich, as opposed to the path of Ford or Gillette in building a business. Not trying to knock his accomplishment, but it is a pop culture phenomenon that will come and go as they always do.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Be advised, Winston, part of the formula is what he calls "sexual transmutation," by which he means not taking dishonorable discharges. So it would be hands off.

Does anyone know what "the secret" supposedly hidden in the book is? I paid about 12 bucks for an e-book that purported to reveal it, but I wasn't satisfied with the rather convoluted answer.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

gsjackson wrote:Be advised, Winston, part of the formula is what he calls "sexual transmutation," by which he means not taking dishonorable discharges. So it would be hands off.

Does anyone know what "the secret" supposedly hidden in the book is? I paid about 12 bucks for an e-book that purported to reveal it, but I wasn't satisfied with the rather convoluted answer.
You mean that the book says that you have to stop masturbing in order to "think and grow rich"? Why? lol. How does masturbation interfere with a man's development?

I have noticed that when you masturbate you have lower energy and drive for some reason. You also gain weight more if you masturbate because your metabolism slows down perhaps? And if you don't do it, your metabolism goes up and you burn fat more. That's just my hunch. What do you think?

What does the book say about sex with a woman then? Is that ok?

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Winston wrote:
gsjackson wrote:Be advised, Winston, part of the formula is what he calls "sexual transmutation," by which he means not taking dishonorable discharges. So it would be hands off.

You mean that the book says that you have to stop masturbing in order to "think and grow rich"? Why? lol. How does masturbation interfere with a man's development?

I have noticed that when you masturbate you have lower energy and drive for some reason. You also gain weight more if you masturbate because your metabolism slows down perhaps? And if you don't do it, your metabolism goes up and you burn fat more. That's just my hunch. What do you think?

What does the book say about sex with a woman then? Is that ok?
I think Hill's idea is that the sex drive is the strongest of all, so you sublimate and channel it into being successful in all areas of life. No can do if you're always deploying it to chase p***y. The book was written in a much more chaste era -- Hill himself was a very old school sort of guy -- and it would have been indelicate for him to bring up the subject of nailing women, so he doesn't.

The theory about metabolism sounds plausible Haven't heard it before.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Think and grow rich... I've never read the book, but I've heard a lot about it. I do know how to get rich fast without thinking about it though. :D
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What about these other best sellers with a similar theme? Have any of you read them?

- "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
- "The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People" by Steven Covey

Do they say similar things? Or are they different?

Is Dale Carnegie related to the famous industrial tycoon Andrew Carnegie?

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

"How to Win friends and Influence People" is more practical advice for social advancement, less of the New Thought Metaphysics (e.g., thoughts are things) of Hill. Covey's book is as titled -- seven particular thought habits that make for success. You know, "think win-win," and that sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure Dale Carnegie isn't related to Andrew, but I'm going to check on that straightaway.