Ted Lerner - Angeles Expat, Author, Traveler, Shop Owner, Sports Announcer & Cool Guy I Know!

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
Winston
Site Admin

Ted Lerner - Angeles Expat, Author, Traveler, Shop Owner, Sports Announcer & Cool Guy I Know!

Post by Winston »

Hi folks,
Check out this Angeles Expat named Ted Lerner that I know and talk to every time I visit his coffee and bagel shop in Angeles City! He is quite a character and amazing guy with multiple talents and has been in the Philippines for decades with countless interesting stories to tell. He's always positive and in a good mood too, which is classic American of course. I don't know how men like him always stay upbeat and cheerful all the time.

His coffee and bagel shop is called CPI and is also a call center (for those who don't like to use Skype) and internet cafe too. It also serves European style craft beer and gourmet coffee brands too. It's one of my favorite places to chill in Angeles, in a quiet area away from the busy activity of Walking Street. I've been going there since 2007 and Ted always greets me with a smile and hello when he sees me. Rock and WorldTraveler have met him too. If any of you are interested in visiting CPI, go find America Hotel in Angeles City, just one block down from the luxurious ABC Hotel. You will find CPI right next to America Hotel and EuroAsia Hotel.

Ted is not only an author and business owner, he's a sports announcer who does voice overs too, and has a very good media voice that sounds very commercial. His website is: http://www.tedlerner.com

Anyway, check out his links below. First here's the two books he wrote, "Hey Joe" and "The Traveler and the Gate Checkers". I've gotten them on Amazon Kindle.

http://www.tedlerner.com/hey-joe/

http://www.tedlerner.com/the-traveler-a ... -checkers/

Hey Joe

“Hilarious…the must read!”
–Asia Pacific Business Traveller Magazine

“Hey, Joe, you like snake?”
“Hey, Joe, welcome to Tondo!”
“Hey, Joe, what’s your name?”

It’s the phrase that greets every foreign guy in the Philippines on a daily basis. And perhaps nobody personifies the meaning of this moniker better than Ted Lerner, an American whose popular, freewheeling column, “Hey, Joe,” has been entertaining readers in the Philippines and overseas for 20 years.

In “Hey, Joe,” Ted presents a collection of his best Manila stories, a kaleidoscope of funny and bizarre incidents, offbeat characters and keen observations dished up by a wide-eyed foreigner living in a city exploding with life, unfathomable urban chaos and a story around every corner. Readers will hitch a ride with the author and spend a night at the cock fights – the Philippines’ violent and gentlemanly national pastime. Walk through bustling, colorful markets that turn the senses on full blast. Experience the harrowing thrill of riding a bicycle through some of the world’s worst and wildest traffic. Visit a secretive girlie-bar reserved mainly for foreigners. Enjoy the party-like atmosphere in the cemetery of one of the world’s most unique observances of the dead. Lounge in the authror’s very own urban nipa hut. Hang out with the rather laid back and care free folks on Manila’s lively and teeming streets.

Simple daily living also provides material for fascinating and humorous reading. From his run ins with mangy Filipino mutts, to everyone asking him “Where’s my Christmas?,” to the characters who peddle every product under the sun through his neighborhood, the author captures perfectly the ups and downs of everyday life experienced by the foreigner living in one of the world’s largest and most chaotic cities.

In all, the 33 short stories in “Hey, Joe” paint a multi-colored portrait of this imposing Asian metropolis, a third world, urban travel adventure as told not only through a foreigner’s eyes, but also through his ears, nose, fingers and mouth. Indeed, like the city of Manila itself, Ted Lerner’s “Hey, Joe,” is a full body experience.
The Traveler and the Gate Checkers

“A journey that is by turns bizarre, joyful, surreal, mysterious” — Asia Times Online

TRAVELER_3DFor most people, life comes down to a daily chore of pile management. But for a traveler like Ted Lerner, life often revolves around dealing with gate checkers. Gate checkers? Yes, those people given a badge, a stamp and the authority to stop you from getting where you want to go.

In this his second book, the American author of the hilarious Philippine adventure, “Hey, Joe,” takes to the road in the gate checker capital of the world, Asia. No matter the obstacles, though, Lerner never fails to uncover the juicy stories and one-of-a-kind experiences which can only be found in the world’s largest and most populated continent.

From the sheer madness, and brilliance, of tortuously crowded India, to the wildly popular and barbaric realm of Japanese professional wrestling, to high class Hong Kong and its notorious, low down landmark, to jaded Thailand and untouched Laos and, finally, revisiting the teeming and seedy heart of Manila, this collection of five original travel tales will bring you decidedly off the beaten path, roaming as few foreigners dare, on journeys as unique as the countries themselves.

Part travelogue, part reportage, part outrageously good fun, with everything from sex to death and all the colorful life in between, Ted Lerner’s ‘The Traveler and the Gate Checkers’ presents a fresh and unusual version of Asia. So open your heart and mind and get ready for the ride. But remember; watch out for those gate checkers!

‘The Traveler and the Gate Checkers’ is now available in print and Kindle e-book on Amazon.com.

Media Praise for The Traveler and the Gate Checkers

“The Traveler and the Gate Checkers” is an excellent read.” — BusinessWorld,

“…the book offers a glimpse into everyday Asians’ lives, making it an extraordinary book that is unforgettable. A journey that is by turns bizarre, joyful, surreal, mysterious” — Asia Times Online,

“A hilarious look at traveling throughout Asia, from sacred cow rest homes in India to bloody wrestling matches in Tokyo.”— European and Pacific Stars and Stripes,

“Because he simply does not go with the herd, he encounters weird characters, extraordinary lives and stumbles upon magical places.” — Malaya

“Fascinating…perceptive…great descriptive writing!…sit back with a beer and travel through Lerner’s eyes. You will enjoy it.” — The Foreign Post
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Ted Lerner - Angeles Expat, Author, Traveler, Business Owner, Sports Announcer & Cool Guy!

Post by Winston »

Check out Ted Lerner's voice overs in the video clips below. As you can see, he has a great commercial voice. He is also a sports announcer who has announced US Open Tennis Championships on TV and boxing matches with Manny Pacquaio. See below.

http://www.tedlernervoiceovers.com/

http://www.tedlerner.com/2019/06/01/ted ... june-2000/

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Ted Lerner - Angeles Expat, Author, Traveler, Business Owner, Sports Announcer & Cool Guy!

Post by Winston »

Here are two of Ted's recent videos about an upcoming boxing star. Can you guys tell that he's Jewish? Doesn't he have a classic Jewish look? lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ted Lerner's About Me page. His accomplishments are impressive.

https://www.tedlerner.com/about-ted-lerner/

Ted ring announcing in Digos, Davao Del Sur, Mindanao, Philippines

About

Ted Lerner originally hails from Allentown, Pennsylvania in the USA. That makes him an expert on great hot dogs(Yocco’s) and cheese steaks(Brass Rail), among other vital things.

He attended the then all-boys Lawrenceville School in Lawrenceville, New Jersey for three years and graduated without honors in 1981. He was, however, a fine enough boy to get accepted into the University of Michigan which at the time seemed like a great school because of its massive football program.

In 1985 Ted graduated from the University of Michigan with a degree in Communications and a minor in revelry and keg tapping. He first traveled to the Philippines on a lark in 1991 and, while there, Mt.Pinatubo blew up and he couldn’t leave the country. While most foreigners would have freaked out, Ted loved every minute of it and decided this crazy country was the place for him. In 1994 he moved out of Hawaii, where he had lived and worked for 7 years, and took up residence in the Philippine Islands. His column, “Hey,Joe” first appeared in 1995 and ran for six years weekly in Manila’s Businessworld Newspaper.

For four years he was a correspondent for the Asia Times Online, covering the Philippine political scene(including being on hand for an attempted coup!) Over the years he has contributed feature stories to the Wall St. Journal, was the Philippines correspondent for the Ring Magazine for 15 years and also writes regular features for Billiards Digest, the oldest US magazine covering the sport of pool, which is a massively popular sport in the Philippines. Ted also works as a professional emcee for events big and small, including ring announcing and TV commentary for professional boxing and billiard shows.

For the last 4 years he has been the press officer of the World Pool and Billiards Association(WPA), traveling the globe covering the biggest events in pool. Besides “Hey,Joe”, Ted is also the author of the Asian travel adventure book, “The Traveler and the Gate Checkers.” Ted currently lives in the Philippines with his Filipina wife Aurora and their 19 year old daughter.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's the website for his CPI call shop that I visit in Angeles City. As you can see, it serves a variety of tasty snacks (even has vegetarian options for me), craft beer, gourmet coffee, and has an internet cafe and call center for making international calls too, as well as a printer and copy machine. So it has multiple functions in one.

http://www.cpicallshop.com/
https://www.facebook.com/CpiCallShop/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... Regio.html

Their food and beverage menu:
http://www.cpicallshop.com/food-beverage/

Video of CPI and its craft beer taken by an customer.

WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Winston, I have never been to CPI. I did not know that was Ted Lerner's cafe. I know you spend a lot of time there. I would have gone just to meet him, since I bought both of his books after my first trip to Philippines in 2007. Why do you think he is Jewish? Did he tell you? I would have gone to his cafe just to get craft beer and bagels. It's hard enough just finding toast in the Philippines and I have never had a bagel in the Philippines, much less lox. Also if you like good beer or a variety of beers forget about it in the Philippines because all you have is San Miguel beers. Also, checkout Mark Blackard the guy that created this video. He has a YouTube channel, a website, and a couple of books.
Last edited by WorldTraveler on May 8th, 2020, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

WorldTraveler wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Winston, I have never been to CPI. I did not know that was Ted Lerner's cafe. I would have gone just to meet him, since I bought both of his books after my first trip to Philippines in 2007. Why do you think he is Jewish? Did he tell you? I would have gone to his cafe just to get craft beer and bagels. It's hard enough just finding toast in the Philippines and I have never had a bagel in the Philippines, much less lox. Also if you like good beer or a variety of beers forget about it in the Philippines because all you have is San Miguel beers.
Are you sure WorldTraveler? I remember I took you to CPI several times, with Rock and Alex. But you were too obsessed with meeting girls to care or remember. lol. You had a one track mind. lol. You didn't want to hang out and drink beer or coffee with us, because you had girls to meet, which was more important than us. I think you went there with us briefly and then left.

I think Ted told us that he was Jewish, and plus he looks Jewish too. See his videos above. Can't you tell? You can ask Rock about it. He told Rock that he was Jewish too.

I did tell you that CPI had bagels and other stuff, but you weren't interested. Remember? lol. Think about it. I'm sure you went there and stopped by for a while remember? It's next to Euroasia Hotel and America Hotel, up north away from Walking Street.

What did you think of his books? Do you recommend them?

WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Winston wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 5:22 pm
WorldTraveler wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Winston, I have never been to CPI. I did not know that was Ted Lerner's cafe. I would have gone just to meet him, since I bought both of his books after my first trip to Philippines in 2007. Why do you think he is Jewish? Did he tell you? I would have gone to his cafe just to get craft beer and bagels. It's hard enough just finding toast in the Philippines and I have never had a bagel in the Philippines, much less lox. Also if you like good beer or a variety of beers forget about it in the Philippines because all you have is San Miguel beers.
Are you sure WorldTraveler? I remember I took you to CPI several times, with Rock and Alex. But you were too obsessed with meeting girls to care or remember. lol. You had a one track mind. lol. You didn't want to hang out and drink beer or coffee with us, because you had girls to meet, which was more important than us. I think you went there with us briefly and then left.

I think Ted told us that he was Jewish, and plus he looks Jewish too. See his videos above. Can't you tell? You can ask Rock about it. He told Rock that he was Jewish too.

I did tell you that CPI had bagels and other stuff, but you weren't interested. Remember? lol. Think about it. I'm sure you went there and stopped by for a while remember? It's next to Euroasia Hotel and America Hotel, up north away from Walking Street.

What did you think of his books? Do you recommend them?
I don't recognize his cafe. I want to meet Ted. I knew he had a internet cafe there, but did not know it was CPI. I think the night you Rock and Alex went, I went elsewhere. I hope this Cornavirus lockdown will end soon and we can all go and have a lox and bagel and beer soon. Does he have any dark craft beer?

You asked what I though about's Ted's books. They came out before there was anything else written about the Philippines by expats. There were no websites, blogs, or forums back then. He published many of the chapters in Hey Joe in a newspaper or magazine in the Philippines. They are slices of life in the Philippines as seen from an outsider. Some quite funny. They are not controversial, because Philippines kills more journalist almost any country int he world, so thus not much good literature comes out of Philippines, where Thailand has many expats writers. The "Gatekeeper" book first edition had a different better cover and has about 5 longer stories. The story about Manila is about boxing and is good.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes there is some dark craft beer. There are about 5 or 6 types to choose from. See their craft beer page below.

http://www.cpicallshop.com/food-beverag ... eles-city/

Pics of the craft beer below. As you can see, some of it is dark. They have a sweet citrus taste and bitter dark lager taste too.

Ted is there sporadically, in and out. He is usually there on weekends at night, in my experience. He is super upbeat and always greets everyone. When I look down, he always tells me to act positive. So he is one of those positive attitude junkie types it seems. lol. I had a few debates with him before about that. I asked him if it's fake to always pretend to be happy and upbeat. He said no, because if you fake it enough, it becomes real. lol

Yeah I hope the stupid lockdown will be over soon.

Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

Well, if it's not Mark Blackard. Town drunk, ex narc & Soldier of Fortune magazine cover boy, and growing youtube celebrity (Overstay Road). You know him Winston?
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr Natural wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 6:35 pm
Well, if it's not Mark Blackard. Town drunk, ex narc & Soldier of Fortune magazine cover boy, and growing youtube celebrity (Overstay Road). You know him Winston?
No. But I might have seen him at CPI before. Just didn't talk to him much. He seems very extroverted in his video above, very gregarious and loud. lol. Ted is like that too. Watch his videos. Big voice. Very upbeat. Cool expat to hang with it.

Do you know Mark Blackard? How do you know about him?

I sent Mark and Ted this thread by email. Hope they see this thread and post something in it. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw Mr Natural,
Check out Mark Blackard's website. lol. He's quite a character. Very eccentric, like us. lol

https://www.markblackard.com/
https://www.markblackard.com/about-mark-blackard/

He calls himself "The King" too. Isn't he so humble? lol

Boy a guy like that could only fit in SE Asia, like me. He'd definitely never fit in Japan or Taiwan either. lol

Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

I've run across him several times but he probably doesn't remember me. The way he drinks it's surprising he remembers anything. He used to spend a lot of time in Angeles so thought you might have met, I think he spends most of his time now over in the Subic area. An interesting character, but I've never had much respect for narcs, present or ex. He was a cop in the states, then got embedded with (I think) the Marines in Iraq as some type of adviser. Wasn't ever in the service but kind of makes everybody think that on his channel. I guess I shouldn't rag on him so much, we all have our faults. He just comes across as a little fake to me. Maybe he has little man syndrome because he's about 5'5 haha. Anyway he runs a youtube channel with a lot of stuff about the Philippines.
And this place CPI, I must have walked past there a hundred times and don't remember noticing it.
Mike Tyson
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr Natural wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 7:04 pm
I've run across him several times but he probably doesn't remember me. The way he drinks it's surprising he remembers anything. He used to spend a lot of time in Angeles so thought you might have met, I think he spends most of his time now over in the Subic area. An interesting character, but I've never had much respect for narcs, present or ex. He was a cop in the states, then got embedded with (I think) the Marines in Iraq as some type of adviser. Wasn't ever in the service but kind of makes everybody think that on his channel. I guess I shouldn't rag on him so much, we all have our faults. He just comes across as a little fake to me. Maybe he has little man syndrome because he's about 5'5 haha. Anyway he runs a youtube channel with a lot of stuff about the Philippines.
And this place CPI, I must have walked past there a hundred times and don't remember noticing it.
There are quite a few guys like that in Angeles. It attracts eccentric types. lol. You go to Angeles a lot? Why didn't you PM me when you were there? We could have met up. WorldTraveler and Rock and Mr S go there too sometimes and we all have group meetups there sometimes. Billy still lives there as far as I know, but he and I don't get along well so we don't talk and he has no tolerance for me or our differences either. lol

Mr Natural
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr Natural »

If I remember right I think 2015 was my last time in Angeles. I used to always stay at the Grand Central, they all knew me there. These days Koreans have taken over, they have bought out 90% of the best girls and massively raised the prices for everyone else. It's not what it was and now with this virus thing probably will change even more. I'm hearing a lot of the bars and clubs may go under, permanently. I'm currently stuck in the states trying to get back to PI but who knows when. Not sure if I will ever go back to Angeles but maybe. Everybody I used to know there is gone now and there are better places to party down. But if I fly into Manila instead of Cebu I might head up for awhile.
Mike Tyson