Making this site safe for work

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
i_want_a_hot_white_chick
Freshman Poster

Making this site safe for work

Post by i_want_a_hot_white_chick »

Hi Winston,

I was wondering if you could have some graphic-free version of the forum so that it could be made safe for work. I love your website and like to read the postings on the forum but since there are a lot of graphics on this site it isn't something you can access from work or other public places. Would you consider making a basic html graphic free version of the forum? This might also be good for those concerned with getting a virus on their computer.

Thanks!
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

He's trying to make residual income from various ads on his site so I doubt that will ever come to fruition...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

How can I make two versions of this forum? If you want to turn off the graphics, you can do so in your browser settings. Go to Tools or Preferences or Options and disable graphics.

Guys, should we just disallow all "impure" graphics and images in this forum altogether? What do you think?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Winston wrote:How can I make two versions of this forum? If you want to turn off the graphics, you can do so in your browser settings. Go to Tools or Preferences or Options and disable graphics.

Guys, should we just disallow all "impure" graphics and images in this forum altogether? What do you think?
What do you mean by impure? If it means blocking us from posting external pictures and videos, that would seriously degrade the forum and my interest level in participating.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I mean like pictures of naked breasts and such, the kind that shouldn't be viewed on a public computer in the US? The dating ads are all of fully clothed women though, so I don't see why they can't be seen on a public computer.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
i_want_a_hot_white_chick
Freshman Poster

A Plan to INCREASE AD REVENUE and give users more options

Mr S wrote:What do you mean by impure? If it means blocking us from posting external pictures and videos, that would seriously degrade the forum and my interest level in participating.
@ Mr S

I'm not suggesting that Winston get rid of the existing site. I'm suggesting that he create an additional site that uses the same data but allows a user to view and post to the forum without seeing questionable images.

@ Winston

At work and on many public computers, the settings are fixed so you can't turn off the graphics like you can on your home computer.

You CAN have two or more versions of the same website. I've seen it before. I don't know exactly how it works but some sites do it. Basically, you have different sites that draw from the same data source. The different sites just display the same data differently.

My suggestion is as follows:

You create THREE websites all of which use the same data source (the postings to the forum)

1. You keep the site you have the same way it is now. This is good for people who are in the privacy of their homes.

2. You create a second site:

m.happierabroad.com

This site is for cell phones. This way, people with internet ready cell phones like IPhones can check the forum from wherever they are. They don't have to wait to get to a computer to check answers to their questions on the forum. Note that you can still have links and ads on that site. Since cell phones have small screens, you should make this site as simple as possible.

Example: You can check your Yahoo mail from your cell phone as well as from a regular computer. The yahoo email website for cell phones is simplified for cell phones.

3. You create a third site:

http://www.happierabroad-nographics.com

This site is for people who are at work or who are at a public computer. Also, this would be good for people who have slow internet connections. This would be the same as the current website only without the images, gifs, and videos.

I think that creating these alternate sites is important because this is a travel website and people who are traveling have to depend on public computers or cell phones to access the internet. Someone who is traveling might want to post a trip report but might be afraid to access this website from a public computer because questionable images might appear. Other patrons of the internet cafe might see that person pulling up the website and think that the person is looking at stuff they shouldn't look at. While none of the stuff is x-rated some of it comes close to it. Also, there is the potential that some user might post something x-rated before the moderators have a chance to delete it. So it really isn't safe to access the current site from a work computer or a public computer.

The http://www.happierabroad-nographics.com site could still have ads. They would just be text and not images.

By having 3 websites that give users more options in how and when they can access the site, you would have MORE TRAFFIC. People wouldn't be restricted to their home computers. You could continue selling advertising on all 3 sites and since you would have more traffic you would have more ad revenue. So the bottom line is you would

MAKE MORE MONEY and GIVE USERS MORE OPTIONS. A Win Win situation for all!

I did a simple internet search and it appears that there are several sites that show you how to make a cell phone ready version of your website.

Thanks!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

3 sites? Wow. Can you give me the link to one of these sites that show you how to create an automatic copy of the forum that is usable for cell phones? If the set up is easy, I may consider it.

i_want_a_hot_white_chick
Freshman Poster

Winston wrote:3 sites? Wow. Can you give me the link to one of these sites that show you how to create an automatic copy of the forum that is usable for cell phones? If the set up is easy, I may consider it.
There are many sites. Just do a simple Google search.

This shows you how to make a site for cell phones:
http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/arch ... e-friendly

This shows you how to make it text only:
http://www.text-only.info/
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »