Should we change the forum platform to MyBB? (like Rooshv's forum)

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Should we change the forum software to MyBB? (like Rooshv's forum)

Yes. MyBB looks nicer and has better features. If Rooshv's forum does well with it, then that's a good indicator.
40%
No. I prefer the forum the way it is.
47%
No. I think you should upgrade to phpBB3 instead.
13%

Total votes: 15
Spencer
Junior Poster

Re: Poll: Should we change the forum platform to MyBB? (like Rooshv's forum)

Post by Spencer »

Winston wrote:
April 5th, 2022, 8:53 am
Yohan wrote:
April 6th, 2020, 3:38 am
I would be careful to do this, better maybe to update this present forum to the newest version.

If you change to a different forum software you might face unexpected troubles when importing the databank of this forum...
I've upgraded this forum many times but the bugs are always still there and the database is very sensitive and crashes at the smallest thing. Even if I do a check on all the database tables, it can cause the posts table to crash. That's ridiculous. Newer versions don't change that. Maybe there is a deep corruption in the database. Who knows. That's why migrating the forum to a new platform may be the best choice.

Another problem is that it's a pain in the butt to update phpbb, because you have to upload files into the forum and cross your fingers and hope nothing goes wrong during the update process. If something goes wrong, you have to ask the phpbb developers at their forum and they have an attitude where they always wanna blame the webhost rather than fix the problem. I hate that. Then after you update the forum, you have to update all the themes and mods and extensions too by uploading new files into their respective folders, all of which is a huge hassle. Then when you are all done, they come out with a new version and you have to do it all again. (sigh) That's so crazy. However, I heard the updating process with mybb is easy and involves only a click of a button, like it should be. That's a huge advantage and worth considering.

Sure problems could arise during the migration. However, the good news is that with computers, anything can be fixed if you have the technical know how. Unlike reality, with computers any problem can be fixed, it's just a matter of finding the way. Sure I am no expert on forum migration, but I can always pay some expert to do it too, if I have to.
Wiseton is posible have cake and eat to

try convert mybb but also still leave online legacy phpbb version for sake of old internal links

so for new stuff we go mybb version but for dig historical pre 2 q 2022 we go phpbb veresion
"Close mind genus more dangrous than 10,000 dumwits" - Spencer

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

"Wiseton is a very dynamic individual, what most would call a genius. He's started a movement, and only genius types can do such a thing." - Boycottamericanwomen