Out of Money to Live Abroad, I'm going to Australia to work

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Australia, New Zealand and the Oceania region.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Out of Money to Live Abroad, I'm going to Australia to work

Post by kangarunner »

I'm running out of money here in Vietnam and Australia looks good with a very high minimum wage. There used to be shit where you could work on a farm in Australia and they would give you a place to sleep also. Since I don't have enough money to pay for housing in Australia, working on a farm sounds like a good idea. Save up a bunch of Australian dollars and then move back to Asia.

Plus Australians are probably a lot nicer than the average American asshole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Re: Out of Money to Live Abroad, I'm going to Australia to work

Post by kangarunner »

I'm straight up done with America. i will literally renounce my US citizenship and become a citizen of Australia.

STRAIGHT UP.....DONE.

STRAIGHT UP.....DONE.

STRAIGHT UP.....DONE.

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

kangarunner wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 1:36 am
I'm straight up done with America. i will literally renounce my US citizenship and become a citizen of Australia.

STRAIGHT UP.....DONE.

STRAIGHT UP.....DONE.

STRAIGHT UP.....DONE.
Why do you think the Australians want YOU?

And why do you think Australia is any different?
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

kangarunner wrote:
January 10th, 2024, 10:59 pm
Plus Australians are probably a lot nicer than the average American asshole.
If one has been living in the UK, they will tend to think that Aussies are generally a more laid back version of Brits.

What scares me about Australia is the high cost of living and the tremendous woke/feminist drift in the past few years.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

You can make serious bank if your a tradesman and in the mining industry in Australia.
Other than that I wouldn't recommend because cost of living is pretty high and lack of jobs that pays well, and they have other first world anglo problems there.

Tradesman salary in Australia. They make just as much as doctors and bankers there.

https://buildersacademy.edu.au/building ... %20outcome.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

@kangarunner
Legally, can you work in Australia? Do you have anything lined up? A lot of wealthy white countries don't let foreigners, even whites, come in and take their jobs. I looked into jobs in Australia once. My understanding is they do have some laws regarding who works there. Lots of Asians would like to work there. Indonesia is a kind of long, but sailable boat-ride away, and they have a lot of lower-paid people. If farmers wanted illegal workers, why would they hire an expensive American?

I went to Australia several years ago for a training. My employer in Indonesia sent me. (I told the admin who booked my flight and hotel that it is a tough job, but someone has to do it.) I talked with some young folks on a bus. Up until some age in their early 20's, they let young people, probably from certain countries, work there if they could find a job. They had a special visa for that. The young folks I was talking to were Europeans as I recall. There might have been an American. My memory is a bit fuzzy. I remember one of the young women had found a job as a nanny.

What was your plan for money when you started your journey?

I did a bit of reading and if you have a degree (in anything) and a TEFL certificate, you might be able to get a job teaching English in Vietnam. The degree is not required in Cambodia, but the government, but employers require it, and they want the paperwork for the degree notarized, which is expensive to do in Cambodia, or so I read. I was a college grad with a linguistics degree and one ESL/EFL teaching class in college, but I was offered a short-term job as an illegal alien once when I didn't have a work visa there. I think some people without qualifications could get those jobs. That might be the easiest niche to get a job in if you are in Southeast Asia without qualifications. If you opened an illegal hamburger stand near a well-to-do neighborhood, people might come to eat an American hamburger from a real American. That might be too high profile if the police get wind of it.

Realistically if you can return to the US and get a decent paying job and save up, you might be able to go back abroad. If it were me, unless I had some divine revelation, I wouldn't go to Australia to make money as an American citizen unless I had something lined up. When I was young and went to Southeast Asia, I was at least going into a job market that had jobs in my field that I could realistically get.

Realistically, you have to have money to survive if you live or travel abroad. Nowadays, if you know how to do programming, Internet marketing, etc. you might be able to earn a living doing it. There are lots of views on some of the videos of people walking around streets of developing countries commenting on it. YouTube pays a little for it. If you had a webpage set up selling something and advertised it in the video, maybe you could earn a living that way.

If you want to work abroad, you have to be in a niche where that is possible. Expats I met in Asia were either English teachers, had experience and worked for non-profits, or typically were experienced workers in the companies they worked for, her sent them overseas as managers. Of course there were tourists and backpackers, but their financial resources decrease every month instead of potentially increasing like those who were working.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Lots of problems with his plan - he might be able to get a job in a mine if he could emigrate as a mining electrician or an engineer - a lot of white South Africans were able to get out of dodge which is why a lot of them live around Perth where a lot of the mines are but well paid manual labour goes to Australians as it should - he isn't going to get one of those jobs unless he knows how to drive industrial machinery, learns a trade related to mining, gets experience and then applies properly - it is like a five to ten year plan but doable.

His second problem is the culture and the way of interaction/communication - it's completely different and as a 'septic tank/seppo' they're going to take the piss out of him and by all accounts of his own words, he isn't going to react very well to it - he is a foreigner and an American at that and he will have to pass their shit tests and it looks like he won't be able to handle it - it's not an anti-American culture but it is a culture that isn't going to kiss his ass because he is American - it will be the opposite.

From the way he talks, he isn't the right fit to work in an ultra macho Australian workplace as a mine where taking the piss and having a scrap to settle differences is part of how it works.

As for working as temporary labour on fruit farms in the north of Queensland - there are thousands of Brits, Germans, Yanks etc that go there - young kids doing a gap year and they're treated like utter shit unless you're some blonde Danish vixen in Daisy Dukes then he isn't going to fare much better there.

@Huddo - give this guy a reality check! Cheers!
Last edited by yick on January 11th, 2024, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

If I wanted to emigrate to Australia and I have said this before, I would go to the Philippines for a couple of years and learn to become a baker at their top culinary school. Australia needs bakers as Australians love cakes, bread, sausage rolls and pies - it's well paid, you will get a work visa and it doesn't take long to get the certification - well, in comparison to nursing or whatever Australia wants.

If you don't fancy learning to bake cakes in Manila, go home and learn to be an electrician and get some on the job experience and in three years, you'll be able to emigrate to Australia. If anyone thinks they will be able to emigrate to Australia to work in a field picking fruit then they don't know how it works. Simple as.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Or even better still, save your money and learn to become a heavy equipment operator and Catepillar will train you back in the states and the Australians will want you to come to their country and you will earn a good living there.

https://www.cat.com/en_US/support/cat-t ... ining.html

https://migrationmadesimple.com/austral ... -operator/

Albeit expensive, is a surefire way of getting into Australia legally and into well paid work.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

@kangarunner

I though you were some kind of freelance web developer? If I am not wrong..
Why don't you cool off a little bit and think it through with a rational mind. I mean different countries maybe good for you socially and romantically but you can't make the U.S level wage over there abroad. No denying that.

The Trades, mining and construction might be great in Australia , but trades also pays well in the U.S too.
I hate America also, but the money is too good for me to resist... The U.S dollar still worth the weight despite the slow and gradual decline of the U.S empire.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

When I went to Perth, I got the impression from locals that Rio Tinto was winding down mining operations there.

If you can get expat wages for being a heavy equipment operator, especially for a short training period, and still work in developing countries just pop up to them from a shorter, less jet laggy trip from Australia, that might be fun.

I think the flight from Jakarta to Perth was only about 5 hours, which is very light considering some of the 30+ trips my employer would book for me for my free trip home. I don't think I'd have booked that myself without a stop over. It's not bad now that the kids are big, though. But it is bad that I am older.

In my part of the US, union electricians had a 5 year apprenticeship program to become a journeyman, but it might be 4 in some states and there are plenty of nonunion electricians. There might be 2 or 3 year programs. The union program started one off with a low wage, but there was no out of pocket payment for the two-nights-a-week training. But they might try to use training time to get you to pass out flyers for democrats during election season.

I met a mud tech who made the 'mud' that keeps the oil from spewing and other destabilizing effects from oil wells once when I was in Indonesia. He didn't have a degree, as I recall, and learned on the job, but I think he said the newer ones were engineers.
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

Good luck with that! What passport holder are you? Australia was always my dream, it just seem a little complicated with the paper work. At the moment i am consulting with the lincoln investment customer service and see if i can move there by investing in the country. There are special visas for those kind of cases, just trying to figure out if that is my case or not.
Last edited by glanmit on February 8th, 2024, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

glanmit wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 4:43 am
Good luck with that! What passport holder are you? Australia was always my dream, it just seem a little complicated with the paper work
Disunited States of America. I'm just interested, why was Australia always your dream?

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

We get people on here complaining about Aussie women, just like US and British women. I didn't stay there long enough to get a feel for what the people are like. Customer-service oriented folks in hotels and restaurants are nice, but they are paid to be. I've gotten to know some Aussies at church in Indonesia.

One thing I did like in Australia after being in Indonesia for a year or so, at that time, when my employer sent me there for a training, as the food. My employer gave us a box of food every day. Indonesians have a high tolerance for eating their food cold. I'd heat mine up on a plate in the microwave, and there wasn't even a line to do so. But I was eating rice every day, and not the best Indonesian food for lunch. We had a maid, so sometimes I'd get Asian or western for dinner, so while I was there, I'd take the kids out for pizza, burgers or other western food on the weekend.

And when I got to Australia, western food sounded good. I bought fish and chips at a liquor store because everything shut down by 9 when I got there. They had a fish and chips place in there. The fish was slightly fishy, but it was okay. They wrapped it in paper.

Then I eat whatever pastries they offered for breakfast at the conference. I don't think I got breakfast at the hotel (unless I could have but didn't.) Lunch was included for the conference. So they had stuff on the salad bar you'd rarely see in Jakarta-- piles of olives and cheese. And they served Indian food and western food on the buffet. I ate at a kebab place a couple of times for dinner, had 'chicken pama' (chicken parmesian) at an Italian restaurant, one of the best burgers I've ever had at a pub, and bangers and mash at another pub.

The burger was delicious marinated ground Angus beef on a really good bun, with onion balsamic vinegar sauce, a pickled beet (which makes it an Australian burger), giant onion rings, and some other topics. It was huge. I had them hold the egg. It was hard enough to eat as it was.

It looked kind of like the US with different store names and people driving on the wrong side of the road. Perth has sky scrapers, but up above the river, right in front of it, the town has almost no one walking around after business hours.

I saw the river from a park kind of on the side of the city. I'd never seen a river that blue. It's a pretty city, some say like a smaller Sydney for looks. I didn't know about the black swans till I left. I didn't see any when I walked out of the hotel down by the water.

When I went there, the government trying to legally falsely-called 'gay marriage' was an issue on the news.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

MrMan wrote:
February 6th, 2024, 7:28 am
We get people on here complaining about Aussie women, just like US and British women. I didn't stay there long enough to get a feel for what the people are like. Customer-service oriented folks in hotels and restaurants are nice, but they are paid to be. I've gotten to know some Aussies at church in Indonesia.

One thing I did like in Australia after being in Indonesia for a year or so, at that time, when my employer sent me there for a training, as the food. My employer gave us a box of food every day. Indonesians have a high tolerance for eating their food cold. I'd heat mine up on a plate in the microwave, and there wasn't even a line to do so. But I was eating rice every day, and not the best Indonesian food for lunch. We had a maid, so sometimes I'd get Asian or western for dinner, so while I was there, I'd take the kids out for pizza, burgers or other western food on the weekend.

And when I got to Australia, western food sounded good. I bought fish and chips at a liquor store because everything shut down by 9 when I got there. They had a fish and chips place in there. The fish was slightly fishy, but it was okay. They wrapped it in paper.

Then I eat whatever pastries they offered for breakfast at the conference. I don't think I got breakfast at the hotel (unless I could have but didn't.) Lunch was included for the conference. So they had stuff on the salad bar you'd rarely see in Jakarta-- piles of olives and cheese. And they served Indian food and western food on the buffet. I ate at a kebab place a couple of times for dinner, had 'chicken pama' (chicken parmesian) at an Italian restaurant, one of the best burgers I've ever had at a pub, and bangers and mash at another pub.

The burger was delicious marinated ground Angus beef on a really good bun, with onion balsamic vinegar sauce, a pickled beet (which makes it an Australian burger), giant onion rings, and some other topics. It was huge. I had them hold the egg. It was hard enough to eat as it was.

It looked kind of like the US with different store names and people driving on the wrong side of the road. Perth has sky scrapers, but up above the river, right in front of it, the town has almost no one walking around after business hours.

I saw the river from a park kind of on the side of the city. I'd never seen a river that blue. It's a pretty city, some say like a smaller Sydney for looks. I didn't know about the black swans till I left. I didn't see any when I walked out of the hotel down by the water.

When I went there, the government trying to legally falsely-called 'gay marriage' was an issue on the news.
We don't give a shit about the food. or the skyscrapers in Perth. We want to know how are the people there. How are the women there and how are the people in general there.