Buckwheat: My new favorite food

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Buckwheat: My new favorite food

Post by Tsar »

I moved to Bulgaria last week. Been to the grocery store (Billa) twice. I bought Buckwheat which I have known was a staple in the Russian and Eastern European diet. It actually is a seed, not a grain. It also is a complete protein and a real superfood. It is also subsidized by the government so its really affordable. Half a bag is more than enough as lunch and dinner. I think the cost in USD is about $1-2 for a bag.

I am still learning what to buy to eat cost-effectively and healthy.

Buckwheat is the #1 food I will be buying and eating everyday.

Unlike grains, it is low on the glycemic index and it is very filling, and is high in protein which is also bioavailable protein.

Unlike in America where eating healthy was too expensive, it is easy and affordable to eat super healthy here.

I discovered tuna can be somewhat pricey relative to America but eggs are probably more affordable.

It is always a good idea if trying to build muscle to pair Buckwheat with a meat like fish or eggs or chicken.

I never bought Buckwheat in America because $10+ is really expensive.

It has only been a week and I can say that I am happy with the grocery selection.

Overall, Italy probably has the best supermarkets but I like Bulgaria's supermarkets too. The cost of living in Bulgaria is the best in the EU especially when it comes to fresh foods.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Buckwheat: My new favorite food

Post by yick »

Buckwheat is amazing! Goes really well with pork or beef, I make pork or beef with vegetables in a light tomato sauce and pour it over cooked buckwheat (kasha) and it tastes amazing! It has a far better nutritional profile than brown rice...

Quinoa is good also - actually it is superb with an excellent nutritional profile. Goes with anything but not cheap.
Voyager1
Experienced Poster

Post by Voyager1 »

I had some buckwheat included with some EE dishes. It always tasted plain and bland to me. Better if you add butter & salt to it.

I would never buy it and prepare it myself. I much prefer potatoes or other side dish to compliment a meal.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Any of the rarer grains should be a health improvement over rice or modern bread.