Anyone ever try the Atkin's Diet or Protein Power?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Anyone ever try the Atkin's Diet or Protein Power?

Post by Winston »

Has anyone ever tried that diet where you eat only meat and nuts and no starch or carbohydrates for weeks until you get thin? It's commonly known as the Atkin's Diet but there's also a book advocating the same thing called "Protein Power".

If so, how were your results? And does such a diet really cause ketosis of the liver?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

When I was a junior in high school, I tried the Anabolic Diet. I was lifting weights seriously and this diet is a special high fat, high protein, low carb diet designed for bodybuilders and other strentgh athletes who want to maximize muscle mass. So it really isn't a "diet" in the sense of people just wanting to lose weight. It's more of a nutritional plan for athletes that want to pack on the muscle. Supposedly it can also work as a diet for normal people and the author of it has written a book called "The Metabolic Diet" for regular people who want to lose weight.

http://www.musclewithattitude.com/readT ... id=1644317

The unique feature of this diet is that it goes through a high carb phase on the weekends which supposedly makes anabolic hormones like insulin and GH spike and encourage muscle growth.

I was only on the diet for three months because it became too tedious to count my calories every day. I gained some muscle, but I can't say whether I would have gained the same amount of muscle on a more traditional nutritional plan.

I don't know enough about medicine, chemistry, or biology to really be able to say anything about the safety of these kinds of diets.

Most of the foods people crave are combinations of fat and carbs (doughnuts, french fries, etc.) The realities of the Anabolic diet is that you can eat these foods on weekends, but they have way too many carbs to fit in on the weekdays (the weekdays have a 30 gram carb limit). Even nuts will get you over limit quickly. Most of the time on this diet you will be eating eggs, all types of meat and cheese and maybe a salad and an ultra-puny slice of bread and perhaps a cup of jello to keep you sane.
Lunch might be just a pile of beef with a tiny bit of ketchup. The diet might work, but you'll feel like you're on a st. bernard's meal plan.

Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

I've done the Atkins diet. I lost 30 pounds within the first month on it, quickly reaching my target weight of 145. I still go easy on the carbs today in order to keep the weight off.

The idea that you eat only meat, nuts and dairy while on Atkins is a misconception. I was actually eating more vegetables several weeks after I started than before.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Why is it a misconception? What can you eat on it then?

I read Dr. Atkin's book and it does stress meat the first few weeks.

He also said that our ancestors were healthier than we are today, because they didn't eat as much carbs and had diets similar to his program, which is very disputable since we are living longer than before. Where does he get that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Our current lifespans can largely be attributed to more consistant food supply, improved sanitation, etc. Alot of modern food (as I'm sure you know) isn't all that nutritious though, especially the heavily processed stuff.

This website has some good information on the topic: http://www.westonaprice.org

I forget the page it was on (I lent the book to someone else), but he did recommend eating a fair share of healthy vegetables. You don't necessarily have to consume enormous amounts of meat to get all the calories you need during the initial stages. I ate alot of almonds, avocadoes, milk, olive oil, eggs and cheese during the initial stages.

The main requirements are that for the first one-two weeks, you consume no more than 20 carbs daily. After that, you add in roughly 10 carbs per week, adding more and more until you find your ideal level. (Mine is somewhere around 100-150). I do occasionally pig out here and there on ice cream or fries or whatever, but try to limit such episodes to once per week.
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

Atkins works very well. Insulin is required to break down/make energy out of carb molecules . So when you eat carbs your body releases insulin.

The problem with insulin is that it is a substance which inhibits the chemical reactions involved with burning fat molecules. So when you restrict carbohydrates you are also reducing the amount of insulin that your body makes, and that allows you to burn fat. Atkins figured this out in the early 80's.

On Atkins, you find that , unlike other diets, there is NO HUNGER, and INCREASED ENERGY--that's because you're body easily goes into and out of fat metabolism ie fat burning whenever it needs energy. You don't feel listless or get hunger pangs. So, you don't require "willpower" to over come those things.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Gmm567 that's interesting, but how come mainstream doctors and nutritionists say that the Atkins diet will lead to ketosis of the liver and only short term results?

Is it possible for a vegetarian to be on this diet?

gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

Well there are a lot of Doctors who have been won over by Atkins ( and the South Beach Diet--a modified atkins). They've been won over because their patients lose weight on the diet and their Cholesterol Profiles get much , much better.

On Atkins, you don't have to overpower your hunger pangs with will power-becuase you don't get hungry. So patients are much more likely to stay on the diet and therefore lose weight.

The stuff on liver/kidney disease has been disproven. It is a good idea to have those organs checked out, though, as Atkins will make kidney/liver disease worse-if you already have those conditions.

Vegetarians--I don't know--check out his website at Atkins.com. I suspect it can be done--just substitute soy protein for animal protein, olive oil for butter, and eat low carbhoydrate vegtables . It's the carbs you have to cut.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

No wonder. I've had this belly that I can't get rid of since 1991. Maybe it's the carbohydrates. But how do I know which foods have carbohydrates and which don't?

Which vegetables are low in carbohydrates?

I remember reading in Atkin's book in the FAQ section that vegetarians can't use this diet and would have to make a choice between losing weight with this program or continuing with their ways.

Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Strict vegans would have a very hard time with it (unless you like eating enormous amounts of avocados and olive oil). If you mainly avoid just meat while still making allowance for eggs and dairy or whatever, then its manageable. Its up to you of course, but I do suggest Cod Liver Oil, or the omegas.

Basically, the stuff which has the highest carbohydrate content is rice, wheat/flour products, potatoes, yams and sugars. Fruit has a good amount too, though not as much (I don't suggest reducing those to much, 2 or 3 bananas or apples a day does a body good). If you want to, you don't necessarily need to follow a strict Atkins program to lose weight, just try reducing some of the above mentioned foods (especially white flour and processed sugar, that stuff is horrible for the body).
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's what a doctor I know who is a family friend had to say about this issue:

"Winston

The reasons people gain wt is simply getting more calories in food than they burn. All the studies show that it does not matter where the calories come from. High protein diets are a good idea, lots of veggies are a good idea. Both Fat and Carbs (rice, pasta, bread) are both packed with calories and we get much more than we need generally. So half the fat, half the carbs and twice the veggies and protein will help along with a walking program that is 30+ minutes per day will lead to 1-3 lb wt loss per week.

Frank"

gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

winston, you've been given poor advice.

It's more than calories. If you elminate the carbs, there is no hunger.
Then pushing the way the extra calories and super sized meals is like taking a different way to work. It's easy. You just say no. There is no deprivation. You just push it away. NO problem.

I wish atkins ( and south beach) would have done a better job of telling of the essence of the program. The program is compelling and convincing and it produces results. It works.l

Carbs create inuslin. Insulin creates hunger. It's basic chemistry. Atkins proved this in a laboratory. It's settled science--like that the earth revolves around the sun. There is no flat earth. Try the diet and you will experience it. I love you DUDE.

Low carb vegies are in his book. Some carbs have large carb counts,others don't. Keep the carbs below 20 grams while you lose. 60 to maintain your weight. Carb content of vegtables ===That has been settled-by science. We known it!

Cheers!

Say hi to Diane for me.

I am geoff