Home workouts for men

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Re: Home workouts for men

Post by WilliamSmith »

I love lifting free weights (especially barbells), but Cornfed made me curious with his kettlebells and I got books by that Russian Pavel whats-his-name (cool guy + bonus points for getting beefed up via "Russian misinformation"), so now I'm also using kettlebells. I haven't gotten into it that much yet but I already love swinging these big iron balls around, LOL.

Every opinion I have about all the various women that I assert are beautiful and hot is factually correct and indisputable, so if Cornfed shows up calling them "skanks" or other mean names and being a prick about that in other threads, he's wrong and I'm right.
But see @Cornfed, you're still a muscle and fitness influencer despite your bitter remarks in the "How to look like a male model" thread I noticed yesterday.

@Lucas88 do you use kettlebells? If I had to choose only one tool I'd choose free weights 1st, but I like these kettlebells so far and how they activate a lot of different muscles instead of being as focused on isolation.
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

WilliamSmith wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 1:33 pm
@Lucas88 do you use kettlebells? If I had to choose only one tool I'd choose free weights 1st, but I like these kettlebells so far and how they activate a lot of different muscles instead of being as focused on isolation.
To be honest, I'm actually quite lazy when it comes to weight training. While I've used kettlebells in circuit training programs at kickboxing and fitness classes, in recent years most of my training has been simply MMA itself and I've largely neglected the weight training side. I have uncanny grappler strength which surprises many people with whom I grapple but I kinda suck at lifting weights. Strength comes in many different forms.

I've been thinking about getting into power lifting to develop exceptional strength for martial arts but I'd wanna be on the juice for that I think. :lol:
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 4:46 pm
WilliamSmith wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 1:33 pm
To be honest, I'm actually quite lazy when it comes to weight training. While I've used kettlebells in circuit training programs at kickboxing and fitness classes, in recent years most of my training has been simply MMA itself and I've largely neglected the weight training side. I have uncanny grappler strength which surprises many people with whom I grapple but I kinda suck at lifting weights. Strength comes in many different forms.

I've been thinking about getting into power lifting to develop exceptional strength for martial arts but I'd wanna be on the juice for that I think. :lol:
Ah, hahah, in this sense we're sort of opposites: I envy your natural strength (+ as I said, in retrospect regret quitting martial arts other than bag work, and wish I could go back and keep up MMA *and* chasing women, not just the latter only). But I'm highly motivated to impress women and can't be satisfied with myself unless I have some muscle. Muscle isn't necessary to be popular with women, of course, since many of the most unstoppable ladies men out there are short and tubby (or thin and unmuscular despite having some charisma and a good knack for conversing with women). :lol:
I think most women usually do love a man with some muscle if they can get one (though I've heard not always as much for Asian chicks), and it does great things for your testosterone levels and sense of "manhood" for a lot of us, but the main reason I think I'm preoccupied with wanting a muscular physique is because of my childhood background of having Arnold, Van Damme, Dolph, and other musclemen in 80s action movies act as surrogate VHS cassette tape-based father figures for me in the absence of any real father figures, LOL. :mrgreen:
I'm cautious about power lifting because of not wanting to put too heavy a strain on my heart, but am going to start a natural bodybuilding thread for us soon here soon. I have a large library of very retro and vintage 80s bodybuilding books and magazines, as well as the action flicks which make great inspiration.

Meanwhile on this note + the subject of practical home workouts for men:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/XeZgTEcmeoWY/
If you're serious about "taking the red pill," read thoroughly researched work by an unbiased "American intellectual soldier of our age" to learn what controlled media doesn't want you to see 8) : https://www.unz.com/page/american-pravda-series/
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

WilliamSmith wrote:
May 20th, 2022, 12:01 pm
Ah, hahah, in this sense we're sort of opposites: I envy your natural strength (+ as I said, in retrospect regret quitting martial arts other than bag work, and wish I could go back and keep up MMA *and* chasing women, not just the latter only). But I'm highly motivated to impress women and can't be satisfied with myself unless I have some muscle. Muscle isn't necessary to be popular with women, of course, since many of the most unstoppable ladies men out there are short and tubby (or thin and unmuscular despite having some charisma and a good knack for conversing with women). :lol:
I think most women usually do love a man with some muscle if they can get one (though I've heard not always as much for Asian chicks), and it does great things for your testosterone levels and sense of "manhood" for a lot of us, but the main reason I think I'm preoccupied with wanting a muscular physique is because of my childhood background of having Arnold, Van Damme, Dolph, and other musclemen in 80s action movies act as surrogate VHS cassette tape-based father figures for me in the absence of any real father figures, LOL. :mrgreen:
I'm cautious about power lifting because of not wanting to put too heavy a strain on my heart, but am going to start a natural bodybuilding thread for us soon here soon. I have a large library of very retro and vintage 80s bodybuilding books and magazines, as well as the action flicks which make great inspiration.
Believe me, I've thought about doing some serious weight training for the purpose of attracting women too. But I find weight training painfully boring in comparison to practicing MMA or another combat sport as well as extremely taxing on the muscles. Recovery after weights is awful and takes time from MMA. So I figured that the best way to get in shape for MMA is just to do MMA itself.

Besides, I've found that foreign ladies tend not to be as obsessed with huge buff musculature. The latter is more of an Anglo thing I think. I've found that in most other countries the ladies seem to prefer a lean and fit guy over a Herculean bodybuilder. Therefore maybe pure MMA training would be better for developing a physique attractive to chicks overseas. Maybe too much bodybuilding would be counterproductive.

Some of the strongest guys I've ever grappled with have been powerlifters. They can literally do a bicep curl with your body when you're trying to armbar them. The incredible strength advantage which powerlifting gives you is the reason why I've thought about getting into it.

Bodybuilders on the other hand are mostly useless. Every once in a while some juiced-up bodybuilder comes to the MMA gym with an air of arrogance and the expectation that he's gonna squash some little guys but then gasses out in less than two minutes and gets tapped out by a 70kg skinny dude. The lack of functionality of the bodybuilder physique is one of the reasons why I never got into bodybuilding despite wanting to when I was younger (say, in high school). I mean, how do these guys even f**k their girlfriends? Do they gas out quickly at sex too?
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

LOL!! Well it depends what era of "bodybuilding" we're talking about: A lot of MMA fighters look just as muscular as Arnold in Commando, Van Damme in most of his early ones, or like Dolph (who even fought against Oleg Taktarov in the mid-late 2000s after his golden age period making 80s-90s action films was passed). :D
But that's true they only have martial arts skill and endurance if they train for that, the muscle mass alone doesn't cut it even if it'd help (up to a point) with their power and strength if they did train.
Bodybuilding after the mid-late 1990s turned into a mess, for the most part, though: Way too much weird freakishly abnormal mass building and flagrant abuse of roids. I wonder if the endurance problems you mentioned are because of some aspects of their modern training, including drug abuse... but nevermind them. :)

Re: women's preferences for muscle, what you say is true in some countries (especially Asia), but I wonder about the curvy black and dark Latina women I love the most: I personally think most of them would probably go ahead and vote yes on the more muscle the better, if they could get it on a man, LOL. :lol:
Not that it's ever essential: Skinny, wimpy, and tubby guys can also be unstoppable with women as long as such men have the right charisma, conversational skills, and other "knowhow," so neither muscle or combat readiness is really essential, even if I'd like to have as much of both as I can muster.

As for how much muscle is optimal: I wish I had the genes of the more Arnold or Gary Strydom like guys who can be 6'2"ish like me but with the Herculean look, but mine is closer to Frank Zane's where it's more on the ectomorphic side even if I was putting a ton of effort in to build mass.

Anyway, here's what I'm going for when I talk about "natural bodybuilding": Some of these guys are not at their most photogenic here (other than Tyson with his pet tiger in the last one), but that's definitely a nice amount of muscle that's not slowing them down or resulting in them getting too easily winded :mrgreen: :

OutcastedPhilosopher
Freshman Poster

Post by OutcastedPhilosopher »

Due to a number of injuries including two herniated discs in my back I no longer train with any kind of weights.

Prior to my injury I reached 196 pounds at 6'1.5 height which for me was the heaviest I ever attained but I also felt very slow/lethargic especially with the weight training. I also had many small injuries that built up over time. After my injury I am weighing somewhere between 175-180lbs.

Currently, I started a simple bodyweight exercise program and I supplement it with yoga. Other than some weird nagging pain in my right knee that I think is some kind of partial tear of something, I feel really good. I cannot recommend yoga enough. I like to do a basic sun salutation combined with bridging and various lateral stretches.

The best part about doing bodyweight exercises and yoga is that you can do them anywhere. The only equipment you need are a pull up bar and I also a TRX training system which helps me do one leg squats, rows, elevated pushups, etc.

Just my own thoughts here.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

WilliamSmith wrote:
May 20th, 2022, 5:27 pm
LOL!! Well it depends what era of "bodybuilding" we're talking about: A lot of MMA fighters look just as muscular as Arnold in Commando, Van Damme in most of his early ones, or like Dolph (who even fought against Oleg Taktarov in the mid-late 2000s after his golden age period making 80s-90s action films was passed). :D
But that's true they only have martial arts skill and endurance if they train for that, the muscle mass alone doesn't cut it even if it'd help (up to a point) with their power and strength if they did train.
Bodybuilding after the mid-late 1990s turned into a mess, for the most part, though: Way too much weird freakishly abnormal mass building and flagrant abuse of roids. I wonder if the endurance problems you mentioned are because of some aspects of their modern training, including drug abuse... but nevermind them. :)

Re: women's preferences for muscle, what you say is true in some countries (especially Asia), but I wonder about the curvy black and dark Latina women I love the most: I personally think most of them would probably go ahead and vote yes on the more muscle the better, if they could get it on a man, LOL. :lol:
Not that it's ever essential: Skinny, wimpy, and tubby guys can also be unstoppable with women as long as such men have the right charisma, conversational skills, and other "knowhow," so neither muscle or combat readiness is really essential, even if I'd like to have as much of both as I can muster.

As for how much muscle is optimal: I wish I had the genes of the more Arnold or Gary Strydom like guys who can be 6'2"ish like me but with the Herculean look, but mine is closer to Frank Zane's where it's more on the ectomorphic side even if I was putting a ton of effort in to build mass.

Anyway, here's what I'm going for when I talk about "natural bodybuilding": Some of these guys are not at their most photogenic here (other than Tyson with his pet tiger in the last one), but that's definitely a nice amount of muscle that's not slowing them down or resulting in them getting too easily winded :mrgreen: :
I actually thought about the different eras of bodybuilding just after posting my previous entry. The bodybuilder physiques of the 80s looked way better and more natural. I agree that today's "bodybuilding" is just plain freakish. What those guys are doing to their bodies with all of the drug intake and extreme levels of mass building is just totally mental.

All of the fighters in those photos are natural heavyweights. They already had large frames and then packed on more muscle mass (but still within a reasonable range relative to their natural frame) through weight training and steroid use. So they are still able to retain a good level of stamina.

Many bodybuilders on the other hand aren't naturally big guys. Some of them are quite average in terms of their natural physique but then blow up way beyond their natural range through abnormally high levels of anabolic substance intake and as a result of this their bodies tire very quickly under intense physical activity. These guys are just way too swole for their own good.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Heheh, yeah, there's a lot in what you say @OutcastedPhilosopher! While lots of lifters (including ex pro natural bodybuilders) train with weights for life in excellent health, I also admit I've hurt myself a number of times lifting, and it was pretty much always due to me being a dumbass with isolation exercises with too much weight on a barbell or dumbbells and getting carried away. :mrgreen:
OutcastedPhilosopher wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 8:37 am
Due to a number of injuries including two herniated discs in my back I no longer train with any kind of weights.

Prior to my injury I reached 196 pounds at 6'1.5 height which for me was the heaviest I ever attained but I also felt very slow/lethargic especially with the weight training. I also had many small injuries that built up over time. After my injury I am weighing somewhere between 175-180lbs.

Currently, I started a simple bodyweight exercise program and I supplement it with yoga. Other than some weird nagging pain in my right knee that I think is some kind of partial tear of something, I feel really good. I cannot recommend yoga enough. I like to do a basic sun salutation combined with bridging and various lateral stretches.

The best part about doing bodyweight exercises and yoga is that you can do them anywhere. The only equipment you need are a pull up bar and I also a TRX training system which helps me do one leg squats, rows, elevated pushups, etc.

Just my own thoughts here.
The great thing about one of the "compound" lifts like squats or the deadlift (maybe the best one) is that they produce a huge blast of all-natural testosterone and activate the big muscle groups so you even get a lot of "bonus" growth elsewhere by building your foundation, in much less time than if you do lots of lighter exercises. I think any beginner should know that, because even if you're using a weight or kettlebell that's light enough to get made fun of by big meats at a gym, it adds a lot of satisfaction + results to a basic squat or sumo deadlift, etc in your home workouts.

However, I've been won over to the "everything in moderation" school of thought when it comes to lifting:
The more extreme a bodybuilder's lifting, often the worse they hurt themselves. That was also the story of the guy who developed the "Founder" exercise that he demonstrated with Mercola that I posted a few posts back, which is an interesting variation on bodyweight exercises that they found helps heal chronic injuries.

I've also started learning bodyweight exercises lately, and need to do more stretches for martial arts as an actual training routine. Thanks for the recommendation on yoga. (I'll hold off on the temptation to try to activate kundalini anymore than it already is per @Lucas88's warning in another thread, but I always wanted to be flexible. Who wouldn't, watching Van Damme do the splits and having the babes freak out (in a good way) over him? LOL
In the past I was frankly just too lazy because I wanted to lift instead of doing stretching exercises, and I was free-riding off my 20-year-old physiology until pushing into the 30s where it won't let you get away with the same heavy !@#$, LOL. Now I'd better get on developing a good flexibility routine too.

The kettlebells seem interesting for activating a lot of different muscle groups with comparatively natural movements and an interesting range of motion, but I'm only starting my own journey with those...

One other interesting thing to add here: I have been reading lately that doing a lot lighter reps to still shock your muscles into growth can actually get good results comparable to a shorter set of heavy lifts.
In these times of peak biological perversion being promoted, we have to be skeptical about "girlyman" claims with political motives behind them, since there's so much red propaganda basically telling us the more of a gender confused weakling a man is, the better.
However, I'll be testing it out since I've also started being a little cautious about really heavy lifts.
Arnold actually talked about doing this in his training (in Education of a Bodybuilder), but on top of extreme heavy lifting. But he said he'd spend hours in the woods doing many reps continuously, but with less weight, to shock his muscles into growth, and it still works.
My guess is shocking the muscles with lots of lighter reps wouldn't cut it for competitors, but might have some interesting potential for those of us who just want muscles for practical strength + impressing the babes but without risking injury/re-injury. I'll experiment and find out. :D
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

Lucas88 wrote:
May 21st, 2022, 10:29 am
I actually thought about the different eras of bodybuilding just after posting my previous entry. The bodybuilder physiques of the 80s looked way better and more natural. I agree that today's "bodybuilding" is just plain freakish. What those guys are doing to their bodies with all of the drug intake and extreme levels of mass building is just totally mental.

All of the fighters in those photos are natural heavyweights. They already had large frames and then packed on more muscle mass (but still within a reasonable range relative to their natural frame) through weight training and steroid use. So they are still able to retain a good level of stamina.

Many bodybuilders on the other hand aren't naturally big guys. Some of them are quite average in terms of their natural physique but then blow up way beyond their natural range through abnormally high levels of anabolic substance intake and as a result of this their bodies tire very quickly under intense physical activity. These guys are just way too swole for their own good.
I think so too, the term "bodybuilding" almost doesn't even describe the same pursuit or philosophy at all when you compare the wholesome "Silver Age" of the 1950s-60s-70s, then the awesome 80s, but then the disintegration when it came to the flagrant abuse of roids and "supplements" from roughly the mid-late 90's and onward to become what it is today.
"Supplements" can be fine if it's vitamins, possibly some herbs, or creative nutrition to add greater than normal amounts of certain things you want in your diet. An example of that would be ZMA, which (if I'm not mistaken) is nothing but a certain studied optimization of Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6 in a tablet you can take before bed, but it produces abnormally deep sleep during which a lot of muscle growth takes place. I used to use it when I did the most lifting when I was in my early 20s, and it was totally surreal how deep the sleep got, but at the cost of dragging you down into the "netherworld" of dreams from going so deep!!
But "supplementation" turns into a mess I think when it gets too scifi using synthesized compounds and so on, besides costing a fortune. And the horror-show when people blow up their natural hormonal system balance created a nightmare that was changing female bodybuilder's genders even before the satanic trannies nightmare era bega, LOL.

But enough of that out of me, let's get back to the positive side:

I decided we needed a thread on natural bodybuilding from the Silver Age to 1980s Golden Age, so made one here :) :
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=45354
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I got back to lifting weights about six months ago. I bought a bench and some dumbbells of various weights and I wear a belt around my lower back for support. I lift 5 days a week and also do between 200 to 400 sit ups 5 days a week and leg exercises as well. I have noticed my stomach is now nice and flat and the muscles in my arms, legs, chest, back and shoulders are getting noticeably bigger.

It feels good to lift again, I went a long time without lifting weights but now I am doing it 5 days a week. I was going to join a gym but six months ago they still had the mask requirements. So I decided to make my second bedroom my home gym.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Here are some excerpts from the workout I did today. I'm trying to gain a little muscle for the first time in years.

https://rumble.com/v167eqj-latest-home-workout.html
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Monetize, Corny. Find your niche. Maybe lie and say you're over 50. Your competition in the age bracket includes guys like Mark McKillyer and Paul Reveille (sp?). I think they both post on Youtube under "live anabolic." Their regimens presuppose access to a gym. Corner that low-rent market. And remember, such endeavors are not a zero-sum game. There's not a limited aging-fitness market. Potentially it's an enormous growth industry, especially since governments and the "health care" industry are making it increasingly clear that people need to either take ownership of their own health or die. And more and more it's becoming accepted that resistance training is best, especially for the older population.
WilliamSmith
Veteran Poster

Post by WilliamSmith »

I'm on a metered connection right now so didn't get to see the whole vid yet, but from the freeze-frame: Cornfed, your muscles are looking pretty damned impressive, especially by modern 'Western' standards, that's for sure.

How old is Cornfed, assuming I'm not being insensitive of anyone's delicate feelings by asking such a question? :mrgreen:
(I assume in this context that the older he is, the better the bragging rights for getting in that good of shape.)

On the general subject of men getting pumped up and staying in great shape even into their senior years:

I posted some pics in my natural bodybuilding thread of Chet Yorton in his peak years, then in his 50s still looking amazing, then at the age of 77 looking even more ripped and still impressively massive.

Not sure about this one yet until I do some more research, but I have read some encouraging studies lately indicating that doing larger numbers of reps with lighter weight can actually produce similarly good results, vs the more intense approach to heavier lifting a lot of us preferred in our youth.

Here's another older guy I'm a big fan of, who got diagnosed with cancer in the late 1990's but won the battle by getting in fantastic shape:
Yes, it's the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan again, sharing our defiance of the Synagogue of Satan on all fronts, from dodging the wares of the "merchants of death" (as he describes them in the video clip), to the SOS's more recent vaccine, and to our overall commitment to healthy living even into our senior years. :)

I haven't found the whole VHS tape workout tape they were advertising here, but thought I'd better preserve this for posterity with a Bitchute upload:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/nCyo0XNh6IyS/
"Careless lifestyles are killing us in droves across all ages.
The merchants of death dump filth daily into our communities and we put it into our bodies.
It is best to make the most of this life and empower ourselves through healthful living."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
May 26th, 2022, 12:33 pm
Monetize, Corny. Find your niche. Maybe lie and say you're over 50. Your competition in the age bracket includes guys like Mark McKillyer and Paul Reveille (sp?). I think they both post on Youtube under "live anabolic."
They seem to be doing the usual stuff and saying it is for old people. I'm tapped out of ideas on how to monetise. People are too stupid to discuss any subject, so that angle is out.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I'm trying to put on muscle for the first time in many years, and surprisingly these kinds of workouts combined with the right diet do seem to work well for bulking up. Going to a gym is not really necessary.