The explanation of cancer

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The explanation of cancer

Post by gsjackson »

publicduende wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 6:21 am
The problem is that, as @kangarunner flamboyantly said, too much discipline and too strict a life routine tends to skim off the enjoyable, risky edge of one's own existence.
His point was a valid one, which didn't need to be wrapped in his customary churlishness. Cancer would not be something I have studied for 63+ years had my mother not died of it that long ago. But while I've always tried to figure out the causes and avoid them, I've never feared it. My sister, on the other hand, has had two types of cancer, fortunately both non-lethal. Her husband told me that in all the time he's known her there hasn't been a day when she wasn't in mortal fear of the disease. When her best friend learned about her first cancer diagnosis -- relatively benign endometrial (though the surgeons nearly killed her during the hysterectomy) -- the friend's first sentence was: "You are so lucky!" The assumption being that she was going to get cancer, it was just a question of what kind.

So yes, one of the best ways to avoid cancer is to focus on life and health, not disease. Having a good time is a big part of that, but when chemically facilitated on a regular basis keep an eye out for the metabolic stressors.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

gsjackson wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 4:14 pm
His point was a valid one, which didn't need to be wrapped in his customary churlishness. Cancer would not be something I have studied for 63+ years had my mother not died of it that long ago. But while I've always tried to figure out the causes and avoid them, I've never feared it. My sister, on the other hand, has had two types of cancer, fortunately both non-lethal. Her husband told me that in all the time he's known her there hasn't been a day when she wasn't in mortal fear of the disease. When her best friend learned about her first cancer diagnosis -- relatively benign endometrial (though the surgeons nearly killed her during the hysterectomy) -- the friend's first sentence was: "You are so lucky!" The assumption being that she was going to get cancer, it was just a question of what kind.

So yes, one of the best ways to avoid cancer is to focus on life and health, not disease. Having a good time is a big part of that, but when chemically facilitated on a regular basis keep an eye out for the metabolic stressors.
I read a stunning piece of stats in a book several years ago. Mentally stunted people, like people affected by Down syndrome, cerebral palsies, autism and other conditions affecting self-awareness and reasoning, are up to 80% LESS prone to dying from cancer. Science explains this with the simple, and rather obvious fact that being impermeable to the fear of being sick and in life danger, even when they do develop cancer, makes all the difference.

Ignorance is bliss, my friend.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

publicduende wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 5:28 pm
gsjackson wrote:
April 12th, 2023, 4:14 pm

I read a stunning piece of stats in a book several years ago. Mentally stunted people, like people affected by Down syndrome, cerebral palsies, autism and other conditions affecting self-awareness and reasoning, are up to 80% LESS prone to dying from cancer. Science explains this with the simple, and rather obvious fact that being impermeable to the fear of being sick and in life danger, even when they do develop cancer, makes all the difference.

Ignorance is bliss, my friend.
Very interesting. I know we live in a time where reliable medical stats are virtually impossible to get hold of, but I'd really like to have a look at cancer rates over the last three years, given that literally billions of people have been fed a steady diet of fear and oxygen impairment.