Your iPhone may be spying on you

Discuss science and technology topics here.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Your iPhone may be spying on you

Post by Jackal »

"iPhone may be spying on you

Two researchers say Apple iPhone records owners' every move and infringes on consumer privacy."

http://english.aljazeera.net/video/amer ... 39384.html
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Thanks for putting this up, but really if a cellphone user didn't already know this was happening, in the year 2011, they're a f***ing jackass! Admitting this is an important step.

Surveillance is what cell phones were created for! Causing brain tumors in the long term, and disrupting our pineal glands and cognitive function in the short term, are just added bonuses! Didn't anyone watch Enemy of the State? It's not about aiding your convenience or improving personal safety, it's about constructing the Brave New World. Apple products are especially Orwellian because you can't even take the battery out. I tell all my close friends they're dumb asses, and although they agree they're too addicted.

I'm a grown man and I value my freedom. A free man doesn't need any f***ing electronics enslaving his mind. For one thing mp3 players, while not aiding big brother as well as the gps-tracking and wiretapping device known as a cell phone, still dis-empower the common man. Who is too often a weakling requiring constant noise and entertainment, like a small child being entertained by a clown. Every free minute they have these sheeple fill their mind with shitty brain damaging music leaving no time to think about how they're getting shafted.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

The android google phones do this too but you can turn the gps function off, which I do. I'm not sure if you can on the I-phones. All electronics in the near future will contain some form of monitoring under the deception of marketing. Instead of direct surveillance by government branches, they are letting the corporations develop monitoring technology then they tap into it one way or another. It's going to become harder and harder to live a private life in the future unless you give up technology all together and live on your own as a survivalist somewhere in the middle of no where.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

Mr S wrote:The android google phones do this too but you can turn the gps function off, which I do. I'm not sure if you can on the I-phones. All electronics in the near future will contain some form of monitoring under the deception of marketing. Instead of direct surveillance by government branches, they are letting the corporations develop monitoring technology then they tap into it one way or another. It's going to become harder and harder to live a private life in the future unless you give up technology all together and live on your own as a survivalist somewhere in the middle of no where.
ALL cellphones can be tracked. This is not rocket surgery. Yes, you can turn off the GPS for all the various apps on your iPhone, but your position can still be determined by celltower triangulation. If you can receive a signal, they can find you, regardless of your phone. Also, if you're on a wireless home phone or a cellphone, your conversation can be monitored. You're essentially broadcasting your signal, is someone really wanted to listen. The only way to NOT be tracked easily is by communicating by hardwire landline or two paper cups and a string.

This is all just not news. It's the idiots in the press, who didn't understand technology all along, and they need something to write about to sell their propagandist bullshit.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

And why care? Are you doing or saying something that would be dangerous if monitored? Someone once said, "Don't get in anything you wouldn't want shouted from the mountain tops."
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

I thought this was interesting.

How To Stop Your Cell Phone From Being Tracked

odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Taco wrote:I thought this was interesting.
I doubt that did anything. Would make more sense to store the phone in a shielded bag. Although if you have a car with GPS it's somewhat of a moot point. Unless you're committing a crime not refusing privacy infringement by big brother on principle, because collecting cell phone data seems to be easier for local police than getting GPS coordinates of a car and it might be more conclusive in court.
Mitchell
Freshman Poster

Re: Your iPhone may be spying on you

Post by Mitchell »

Jackal wrote:"iPhone may be spying on you

Two researchers say Apple iPhone records owners' every move and infringes on consumer privacy."
Almost all companies spy in some way on you, Google, Apple, Bing, etc. They all gather the info about it. Whether you know it or not.
Living in an Apple world