Thoughts on AI-generated music

Discuss science and technology topics here.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Thoughts on AI-generated music

Post by Lucas88 »

I recently discovered Udio, a generative AI model that generates realistic music through text prompts. Udio was developed by a team of former Google DeepMind researchers. A beta version was released on the 10th of this month.

https://www.udio.com/

Udio is simple to use. You write a few text prompts about the genre, vocal style and lyrical themes that you want for your song. If you have some knowledge of music theory, you can even specify such details as musical keys and meters. Once you write your text prompts, the model generates realistic songs which are nothing short of amazing. :o

Just to clarify, Udio doesn't copy other people's music. As a generative AI model, it is trained on a dataset which includes a great number of samples of existing music and then uses this dataset to generate new data samples. The music that it creates is therefore completely unique.

I myself signed up to Udio a few days ago and have since created a dozen AI-generated songs using text prompts. These include 80s R&B tracks, Salsa, Latin Freestyle, 90s Hip Hop, Metal, and a few exotic experimental blends. 8)

All I can say is that I was absolutely blown away by what I had created. These songs sounded real—in fact better than a lot of human music today. What makes it even more impressive is that each song took me less than an hour to create. :o

What we are witnessing is the beginning of a technological revolution of far-reaching importance. With the development of generative AI and other emerging AI technologies, our world is going to be transformed beyond recognition in the next few decades. Expect to hear a lot of discussion about ethics and legislation pertaining to generative AI.

What are my thoughts on AI music generation models such as Udio and the fears about them putting commercial musicians out of business?

I'm actually very enthusiastic about AI music generation models for several reasons:

1. The abysmal state of commercial music

Most mainstream commercial music today is absolute garbage since music has been going downhill since the mid 2000s. However, AI music generation models allow ordinary people with good musical taste to create new content in the old styles from a time before music became bad.

Some people like me only listen to classics from the 80s, 90s, etc. Yet at the same time we crave something fresh. Why not make it ourselves with generative AI?

AI music generation models democratize music creation—folks who like good music are no longer "held hostage" by record companies who have for the last two decades been peddling some of the crappiest music imaginable.

2. Creative Freedom

I've always been theoretically interested in music but have never seriously practiced music or been in band. Making realistic music like what you used to find on MTV (back when it was actually good) is just unfeasible for most people.

AI music generation models enable individuals without the resources to create the specific music they desire—whether it's songs with particular themes, specific types of vocals, or even experimental genres—to do so affordably and in a remarkably short time frame.

Now all of us can create whatever we like for our own entertainment and satisfaction.

3. Innovation and New Discoveries

AI music generation models will allow actual musicians to push the boundaries and experiment with new genres, testing what is possible and what isn't.

The result of this will be an explosion of innovative genres and exotic fusions that haven't been tried yet.

AI could lead to a veritable renaissance of musical creativity. :)

So these are my thoughts on AI-generated music. Please comment your own thoughts.

@Pixel--Dude
@publicduende
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on AI-generated music

Post by Winston »

An AI-generated hip-hop track about HA founder and international playboy Winston Wu! 😂 Created by @Lucas88

https://www.udio.com/songs/hPi99gEYiMhoFg9yQwyhV1
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Thoughts on AI-generated music

Post by Pixel--Dude »

I pretty much agree with the points you made.

Modern music does indeed suck. I wonder if this is because sound and vibration does affect physical matter and they are trying to make us depressed or angry and stupid.

Some other benefits of AI generated music are obviously it benefits creative people and can generate unique music instantly for zero cost. It's also available for anyone to use! Now anyone can be a musician or a composer and showcase their creativity thanks to tha advancements in AI technology.

What's fascinating is that this is just the beginning of the AI boom! Imagine what it will be capable of in 10 or 20 years!
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.