Why things were better in the 70's

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Winston
Site Admin

Why things were better in the 70's

Post by Winston »

I've been listening to this guy on YouTube called TheLogicJunkie. He is very smart and aware and thinks like us. Here is one of his videos where he explains why things were better in the 1970's and why pop culture was better too. It echoes my own feelings on the matter as well. I'm sure you'll find his reasons very interesting, especially the part where he talks about how it is considered cool today to be a callous asshole who steps over others and how the young generation today was not brought up on the happy good times that we were back in the 70's and 80's.

Last edited by Winston on May 6th, 2011, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is me in the 70's. Didn't I look so much more innocent? lol (it shouldn't be hard to guess which one I am lol)

Last edited by Winston on May 11th, 2011, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Nowadays 5 year olds are taught about same-sex marriage and how they're born guilty, what with leaving a carbon footprint with every breath.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

You gotta wonder how much of this "past was better" nostalgia is due to the psychological tendency in people to remember the past better than it was.

Btw, TheLogicJunkie responded to me. He likes this forum and is thinking of moving to New Zealand. Hope he will join sometime. Here is what he said:
Those kind of pictures really stir me up. You definitely looked like a simple, happy kid.

Yes, things were so much more natural, human, and humane back then. I can't tell you how many new-generation kids I have writing me, telling me how much they listen to the music we got to grow up with, and how jealous they are that they didn't get to grow up in that whole milieu.

And I really do like your forum. I've been trying to find a place in the world where they'll respond to my emails, and where they might be interested in my moving there. It may end up being New Zealand for me.

ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

It all depends on where you grew up at and other things. I grew up in the PJs in the South Bronx and there were some happy days, yet NYC is a very violent place and i seen people shot to death right next to me.
In the 70s 98% of the youth were their right weight as we always were running and jumping rope or swimming, basketball etc.
We were too busy to be fat. And we ate candy like it was dinner and we had perfect health. Today's youth are obese and have diabetes and std's and are killing themselves and others at an alarming rate.
When i was younger the older women would verbally abuse young single mothers walking with their strollers. Today everybody just congratulates you. Yeah the 70s had better music and better fashion and more black men were married and stayed home with their families.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out these Russian/Ukrainian women in my dating site. How come they look like they are from the 70's? Is it cause their food is more natural?

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/ ... /100168693

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/ ... /500010486

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/ ... /501258438

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/details/433935

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/details/507933

Wow this one reminds me of Olivia Newton John when she was young! She has that bright smile wholesome blonde look!

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/ ... /500008787

ImageImage

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Today, when American kids want something, they take it!

Post by Rock »

Today, when a group of American teenagers want something, they might just take it!

But just to be fair, some areas of the US were a lot more dangerous in the 70s than today. Greater NYC had a much higher murder rate then than now.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

I think the tv shows and the music was better back in the 70's. Check out these music videos from Olivia Newton John and ABBA from the 1970's. See how emotional and feeling their words are, compared to today's music.

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Do any of you watch TV shows or movies from the 70's? If so, have you noticed the following?

1. The people in them seem a lot more natural and genuine, like real souls in human bodies, at least compared to people on TV today.

2. The women look a lot more natural and relaxed, not paranoid or uptight. Thus they look a lot more approachable. They also look more kind and genuine, and devoid of hatred for men.

Anyone notice these things about the people and women in TV and movies of the 70's?

Examples: Compare the 1978 Battlestar Galactica characters to the ones in the new series. Compare the Bionic Woman series by Lindsay Wagner in the 70's to the new series which only lasted one season. Huge difference. The new series actors look more cold, inhuman, unfeeling, soulless and lifeless.

Remember the 70's TV characters like Bill Bixby (Incredible Hulk) and Michael Landon (Little House on the Prairie)? They were kind, caring and gentle, like the friends you always wish you had. Even Lee Majors from "The Six Million Dollar Man" was kind and caring. They all had a good heart and good morals. You don't see characters like that in TV and movies of today.

In contrast, modern actors like Kristen Stewart, Natalie Portman, Matt Damon and the CSI characters all seem cold, hollow, unfeeling and lifeless without a natural human soul.

The music of the 70's also seemed to have more soul. Not as degenerate or trashy as music today.
Last edited by Winston on April 9th, 2014, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Winston wrote:Do any of you watch TV shows or movies from the 70's? If so, have you noticed the following?

1. The people in them seem a lot more natural and genuine, like real souls in human bodies, at least compared to people on TV today.

2. The women look a lot more natural and relaxed, not paranoid or uptight. Thus they look a lot more approachable. They also look more kind and genuine, and devoid of hatred for men.

Anyone notice these things about the people and women in TV and movies of the 70's?

Examples: Compare the 1978 Battlestar Galactica characters to the ones in the new series. Compare the Bionic Woman series by Lindsay Wagner in the 70's to the new series which only lasted one season. Huge difference. The new series actors look more cold, inhuman, unfeeling, soulless and lifeless.

Remember the 70's TV characters like Bill Bixby (Incredible Hulk) and Michael Landon (Little House on the Prairie)? They were kind, caring and gentle, like the friends you always wish you had. Even Lee Majors from "The Six Million Dollar Man" was kind and caring. They all had a good heart and good morals. You don't see characters like that in TV and movies of today.

In contrast, modern actors like Kristen Stewart, Natalie Portman, Matt Damon and the CSI characters all seem cold, hollow, unfeeling and lifeless without a natural human soul.

The music of the 70's also seemed to have more soul. Not as degenerate or trashy as music today.
The 80s and early 90s were much better than today: to prove that, I will post a video of people coming in and out of convenience store near Disney World at 2:30 AM, in 1987:

Notice how much friendlier and calmer people seemed back then? Also, notice how natural the female in the video acted! If this was shot today, you'll likely have gotten someone to smash the video camera and curse-out the person recording the video, out of spite and anger...
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

This was prevalent in the 70s too:

THIS WAS THE FIRST MOVIE THAT MADE ME EN ROUTE TO BEING THE SEXUAL PERSON THAT I AM TODAY:

I first saw this movie on VHS while my parents were both at work from 11pm to 7am when I was eight years old LMAO!!
This was one of the two video tapes they had stashed away from my hands which I found by rummaging through their
shit when they were both at work at the same time!

* link to xhamster video removed
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Winston wrote:Check out these Russian/Ukrainian women in my dating site. How come they look like they are from the 70's? Is it cause their food is more natural?

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/ ... /100168693

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/ ... /500010486

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/ ... /501258438

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/details/433935

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/details/507933

Wow this one reminds me of Olivia Newton John when she was young! She has that bright smile wholesome blonde look!

http://personals.happierabroad.com/gal/ ... /500008787

ImageImage

Yea, that last girl is hot and she looks like she's from the 1980's. That said, certain cultures are a little slower in terms of cultural change. Eastern Europe is a lot slower compared to the more wealthy western Europe.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

zboy1 wrote:
Winston wrote:Do any of you watch TV shows or movies from the 70's? If so, have you noticed the following?

Example: Compare the 1978 Battlestar Galactica characters to the ones in the new series. Compare the Bionic Woman series by Lindsay Wagner in the 70's to the new series which only lasted one season. Huge difference. The new series actors look more cold, inhuman, unfeeling and unemotional.

2. The women look a lot more natural and relaxed, not paranoid or uptight. Thus they look a ot more approachable. They also look more kind and genuine, and devoid of hatred for men.

The music also seemed to have more soul. Not as degenerate or trashy as music today.
The 80s and early 90s were much better than today: to prove that, I will post a video of people coming in and out of convenience store near Disney World at 2:30 AM, in 1987:

Notice how much friendlier and calmer people seemed back then? Also, notice how natural the female in the video acted! If this was shot today, you'll likely have gotten someone to smash the video camera and curse-out the person recording the video, out of spite and anger...

We're close to the same age I think Zboy, and although I love the 80's and 90's, I would have to agree that the 70s were a better time period even though I wasn't alive at the time. Here's why:

• You figure, in the 1980's, crack as well as cocaine hit the streets and was in full boom by at least 1984, and so that alone completely decimated and wiped out entire generations of American families, particularity black and Latino families.

• During the late 80's and early 90's HIV came out of nowhere and killed off millions of people here in the U.S. alone. Whole subcultures of very nice, intelligent, and diverse people were wiped out. And back then HIV was pretty much a death sentence as they had no treatment back then so people either died from HIV complications or they died from the harsh drugs such as AZT.

• Starting in the 90's the gangbanger, gangsta rap culture emerged from being popularized from rap music which then infected the minds of young america, including young white America. So for example, it use to be that young kids from the 70's thought chemistry sets and telescopes were cool, but now during the 90's young kids wanted to emulate Snoop dog by smoking weed to more serious crime such as doing drive-by shootings.

If these 3 things did not occur, America wouldn't be so bad today.
Halwick
Freshman Poster

Post by Halwick »

You guys are a lot younger than I am.

From my perspective and observations, things were better prior to 1970s. As early as 1964 I witnessed the beginnings of the breakdown with the rise of Feminism, (then) radical anti-establishment and litigation-minded, entitlement thinking, increased acceptance of recreational drug use, irresponsible sex and acid-rock dominating the music scene. By the 1970s, the traditional family also ceased to exist resulting in a very dysfunctional family and society that we see today.

I also recall the 1970s as the era of "limitations" particularly in contrast to the 1950s and 1960s era of confidence and optimism.

Fashions in the 1970s were awful. I hated maxi skirts, bell bottoms, wide paisley ties and afro hairdos. Gone was the neat, fresh, wholesome look of the 1950s and early 1960s.

No, guys, from my observation and opinion, things weren't better in the 1970s. It was the beginning of the end.......
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Halwick wrote:.

Fashions in the 1970s were awful. I hated maxi skirts, bell bottoms, wide paisley ties and afro hairdos. Gone was the neat, fresh, wholesome look of the 1950s and early 1960s.
But surely you liked the platform shoes, shag haircuts and bow ties fashionable for men circa 1974 and the 'glam rock' era? God help me, I think I had a pair of platform shoes.

Seriously, yeah, any of us old enough to remember the '50s and '60s recall the '70s as the time when everything flew apart, the time when "the sixties" came to middle America. The genie was completely let out of the bottle with sex, drugs and rock & roll. It was an anything goes period. That said, it was a much better time than today in the U.S. You still had literacy. You could walk out into the day and have every expectation of encountering real human beings and not just brain-dead narcissists or thug wannabes. Politics hadn't yet become completely corrupted, and there was still something approximating journalism. Other institutions, such as health care and the justice system hadn't yet grown completely dysfunctional (though education was plunging into a headlong nosedive).

To me the '90s were the time when the culture became unbearably coarse, thuggish and corrupted. The '70s look good only in comparison to what came after.