HGTV: House Hunters International

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Disillusioned_American
Freshman Poster

HGTV: House Hunters International

Post by Disillusioned_American »

Has anyone else here watched this program on the televitz? One thing I noticed about it - which really irritates me - is how the show always seems to feature a couple searching for a home to buy/rent overseas, and the couple nearly always (9 out of 10 times) is comprised of a handsome foreign man, and a typical, fussy and mediocre-looking, spoiled American brat woman. WTF?! And usually, it is a white b*tch American female. As if these God damn women didn't have enough options to choose from here in the States! Why do they always seem to focus on this particular combination - of white western female, and foreign man - when in reality, it is typically American MEN who really stand to benefit from finding a spouse abroad? Obviously, this bullish*t TV programming is just propaganda, like everything else on the televitz. But why can't these programs promote the opposite, since American men are the ones quietly suffering in loneliness? Seriously though, this really pisses me off!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

...the target audience of this show is not you.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Momopi's right, the AW-with-cool-euro-guy pairing is appealing to the mostly AW audience.

I watch it regularly myself, though. Background while doing something else.

I never thought about it. The OP is completely correct. They put any combination of people on there AM/AW, FM/AW, gays with gays, but never AM/FW.

f**k.

Another Masonic-censored show.

Of course the regular (non-international) Househunters is REALLY a trip. For a while they must have been advertising specifically for Black/White couples. Reminds me of stupid PC California real estate ads in the Valley, showing Whites and Blacks socializing happily in the Valley - where in real life there are NONE of EITHER. (Glad I am out of real estate).

What had pissed me off regularly, up to now, was the picky, bitchy women.

Same as when showing properties myself. "Diss kitchen vill haff to be up-DAY-ted!!" they sniff, nose in the air.... I want to choke them. You goddam IMMIGRANT, you didnt even know how to use DEODORANT a few years ago. Let alone what a dishwasher was.

PS Btw I am NOT talking about Latinos, they are grateful and decent and practical people when buying - like the wives of the GI generation years ago, I suppose.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Disillusioned_American
Freshman Poster

Post by Disillusioned_American »

momopi wrote:...the target audience of this show is not you.
Well, that's bloody obvious. By extension of you saying I am not part of their "target audience," I assume you were referring to all men who roughly fit within my demographic group, not just me personally.

You haven't refuted my statement that, generally, American men stand to benefit far more than American women when it comes to marrying foreign and living abroad.

Also, you've failed to provide any reasoning as to why men like me are not considered an important target in the eyes of the media bosses who dictate the content of these real estate shows. Please explain yourself.
noog
Freshman Poster

Post by noog »

I highly doubt I'll ever own a house again in America. Once was enough. Like I told a friend this last weekend, my marriage got a heck of a lot worse the day I caved and we bought a house. I've seen other friends' marriages go the same way and also end in divorce. If you've got a so-so marriage, buying a house is almost a surefire way to slowly destroy it. Unless you've got a good woman, the power of the house appeals and corrupts most women, brings out their nagging, perfection, materialism and 9451 bad qualities you didn't know they had. Be careful, fear the house because, due to American culture, it could become your prison.

Naturally based on my life experiences I resent these house hunting shows due to their hollow vanity. They are high up on the list of reality shows that need to be stricken, right up there with Dance Moms.
"Take a bold and unconventional action, then you'll find out who your friends are."

"Trying to find good American women is like trying to ice skate in a volcano."
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Disillusioned_American wrote:
momopi wrote:...the target audience of this show is not you.
Well, that's bloody obvious. By extension of you saying I am not part of their "target audience," I assume you were referring to all men who roughly fit within my demographic group, not just me personally.
You haven't refuted my statement that, generally, American men stand to benefit far more than American women when it comes to marrying foreign and living abroad.
Also, you've failed to provide any reasoning as to why men like me are not considered an important target in the eyes of the media bosses who dictate the content of these real estate shows. Please explain yourself.

1. http://www.quantcast.com/hgtv.com

2. I have no obligation to refute any statement, provide any reasoning, or explain anything to you. A discussion on this topic here will not change HGTV's viewer demographics or its show lineup.

3. If you feel that your own demographics is not being represented, and that there's a viable and profitable market to be had, then you can look into starting your own internet TV channel & look for sponsors & VC $.

4. A good way to start is to contact your local university's business department. Business major students are expected to write business plans for real companies as class projects. You can offer to make a small $ contribution in exchange of having a number of students compete to write the best research & business plan for you, so that you won't have to do the work yourself.

5. If you'd rather argue and talk instead of do, then please disregard this reply and don't bother.
RobinHood
Freshman Poster

Post by RobinHood »

noog wrote:I highly doubt I'll ever own a house again in America. Once was enough. Like I told a friend this last weekend, my marriage got a heck of a lot worse the day I caved and we bought a house. I've seen other friends' marriages go the same way and also end in divorce. If you've got a so-so marriage, buying a house is almost a surefire way to slowly destroy it. Unless you've got a good woman, the power of the house appeals and corrupts most women, brings out their nagging, perfection, materialism and 9451 bad qualities you didn't know they had. Be careful, fear the house because, due to American culture, it could become your prison.

Naturally based on my life experiences I resent these house hunting shows due to their hollow vanity. They are high up on the list of reality shows that need to be stricken, right up there with Dance Moms.
Good post - the housing price boom of the last 15 years has been a factor in increasing the divorce rate. Women have seen easy money in houses and gone about taking it from their men.
Robin Hood.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

RobinHood wrote: Good post - the housing price boom of the last 15 years has been a factor in increasing the divorce rate. Women have seen easy money in houses and gone about taking it from their men.
The last 15 years? Fifteen minus six. Lots of places in the U.S. are going for about a third of what they did in 2006. I'm sure the UK has had a similar housing bust. But I'm sure underwater mortgage tension has not helped American and British marriages any.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:
RobinHood wrote: Good post - the housing price boom of the last 15 years has been a factor in increasing the divorce rate. Women have seen easy money in houses and gone about taking it from their men.
The last 15 years? Fifteen minus six. Lots of places in the U.S. are going for about a third of what they did in 2006. I'm sure the UK has had a similar housing bust. But I'm sure underwater mortgage tension has not helped American and British marriages any.
When I moved to California around 1989, I noted that Californians liked to talk about their "Southern California car culture", but in fact they had a "house culture". That's all they talked about.