The New ELVIS 2022 Movie - Very Good! Powerful & Moving! Worth Seeing!

Discuss movies, films, TV shows, music, celebrities and entertainment.
Winston
Site Admin

The New ELVIS 2022 Movie - Very Good! Powerful & Moving! Worth Seeing!

Post by Winston »

Just saw the new Elvis movie. Very powerful and moving. I recommend it. The guy who plays Elvis looks a lot like him. The music is great too. And the scenes of people in the South in the 1950s and 60s looks very wild and lively. Wow. Tom Hanks plays Elvis' abusive manager, but he has a pot belly and longer nose which look real.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3704428/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Some scenes from the movie with the soundtrack song "Can't Help Falling in Love".

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Great Movies worth checking out - Post your recommendations

Post by Winston »

Btw speaking of Elvis, i dont get why he died. The movie didnt explain why the doctors or hospitals couldnt help him or treat him. Didnt he have access to the best healthcare? And why did he need to take drugs if he had everything? Including a beautiful wife? I dont get the logic of that. It doesnt make sense. If i were him theres no way i would need to take toxic drugs. So wtf? Do u have any logical explanation?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 2:55 am
Btw speaking of Elvis, i dont get why he died. The movie didnt explain why the doctors or hospitals couldnt help him or treat him. Didnt he have access to the best healthcare? And why did he need to take drugs if he had everything? Including a beautiful wife? I dont get the logic of that. It doesnt make sense. If i were him theres no way i would need to take toxic drugs. So wtf? Do u have any logical explanation?
He died of a heart attack brought on by him having various health problems that he threw a lot of prescription drugs at rather than take time off to fix properly. Since a lot of people depended on him for their livelihood, there was a lot of resistance to him going into hospital for treatment. In terms of the best health care, the problem was that he hired the healthcare and "the customer is always right" model doesn't always work that well for healthcare.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Re the cultural history of the South in the 1950s, I'm guessing that the movie includes the first appearance of Elvis at the Louisiana Hayride, I believe in 1954, which is said to have first introduced him to a national audience. My parents were there. We lived in Shreveport, LA, and they went regularly to the Hayride, which was a radio show with a live audience that was second only to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville as a venue for country music fans.

I'll have to go see the movie, probably today. I was recently reading a book about the '50s by David Halberstam, which included a long chapter on Elvis and Sam Phillips at Sun Records, who discovered him. It's kind of like revisiting the family roots. My mother grew up not too far from Memphis in southeast Missouri, and I've always thought my cousins from there talk a bit like Elvis.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Saw Elvis today. I can recommend it, with a couple of qualifications. First, if you've seen a Baz Luhrmann movie incorporating music before, you know about the frenetic pacing of it. Two hours and 40 minutes of this can be wearying, especially when combined with constant screen time for Tom Hanks' annoying Col. Parker turn. Secondly, the obligatory nod to wokeness. Elvis is, of course, a black man's soul trapped in a white man's body, and if he'd just been able to free himself from all the parasitical white people hanging onto his coattails and thwarting his creative genius, he could have led a joyful and fulfilled life, true to his authentic self.

That said, first rate job by the lead, and very moving at times. Frenetic though the movie's pacing is, its main theme is the kinetic energy created by the combination of music and movement, so the pacing wasn't really off the mark.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow. So do you guys mean that Elvis didn't seek medical treatment because his tour schedule was too heavy to give him time off to recuperate? Doesn't that go against common sense? Why couldn't they let him rest? Did Elvis tell his doctors to leave him alone and not treat him or something? Why didn't he ask his doctors to help him or send him to a hospital or healing center? Near the end of the movie, his wife told him to go to a healing center, but he didn't listen. Didn't he know his health was faltering? And why didn't his manager get him some medical help? People back then had common sense right?

Btw check out this CBS Special of Elvis' last concert in 1977.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: The new Elvis 2022 movie - Very good! Powerful & moving! Worth seeing!

Post by Winston »

1979 documentary on ABC 20/20 with Geraldo Rivera about the cover-up of Elvis Presley's death. Wow how come back then the mainstream media would talk about cover ups? They NEVER talk about cover ups today. How come?

Winston
Site Admin

Re: ELVIS 2022 Movie - Very Good! Powerful & Moving! Worth Seeing!

Post by Winston »

Btw there was also a 1979 TV movie about Elvis starring Kurt Russell. It looks pretty good too. Here's the trailer.

Elvis (1979)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079103/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6

Torrent download link:
https://yts.mx/movies/elvis-1979

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: ELVIS 2022 Movie - Very Good! Powerful & Moving! Worth Seeing!

Post by gsjackson »

A couple of friends in college went to see Elvis circa 1972. They came back raving, saying they'd had no idea what a badass he was. One of them bought a Cairn Terrier puppy and named him Elvis. These guys were genuine badasses themselves -- starting linebackers on the Duke football team.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: The New ELVIS 2022 Movie - Very Good! Powerful & Moving! Worth Seeing!

Post by Winston »

Video of Elvis in Las Vegas singing "Suspicious Minds" live. Amazing and epic. One of his greatest songs.

Clip of Elvis singing "Are You Lonesome Tonight" during his 1968 Comeback Special.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Elvis singing "Unchained Melody" two months before he died. This was played near the end of the new 2022 Elvis movie.

I don't understand why Elvis didn't go to the doctor or hospital or seek medical treatment at a holistic healing center? Didn't he have any common sense? Didn't he want to live? Why didn't his managers get him medical treatment?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Elvis' 1973 concert in Hawaii. Supposedly 1.5 billion people saw this on live TV. Wow. Someone edited it and put it up on YouTube below.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 12:52 am
I don't understand why Elvis didn't go to the doctor or hospital or seek medical treatment at a holistic healing center? Didn't he have any common sense? Didn't he want to live? Why didn't his managers get him medical treatment?
Apparently his doctor was trying to get him surgery for constipation but the surgeons were concerned with operating on such a big star and wanted to try to solve the problem with medication. The result was that he had a heart attack on the toilet seat.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Interesting short 20 min documentary about some evidence that Elvis may have faked his own death and is still alive. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

1991 TV Special hosted by Bill Bixby called "The Elvis Files" about several investigators who think Elvis may still be alive and that he had faked his death. Very amusing. lol

Here's the sequel, a 1992 TV special called "The Elvis Conspiracy" hosted by Bill Bixby. It examines reports of Elvis sightings and detectives trying to track down the person using Elvis' SSN and credit history, to see if that person is Elvis himself or an impostor. lol. Kinda weird.