Would we have been happier in 1914 than 2014?

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
Winston
Site Admin

Would we have been happier in 1914 than 2014?

Post by Winston »

Do you ever wonder how people must have felt at the beginning of the 20th Century, having lived through the 19th Century? They must have looked at the new century with optimism, just like we are now.

So I sometimes wonder, what if we were at the beginning of the 1900's instead of the 2000's? Would we be happier? Wasn't the world better off before the two world wars anyway? Wasn't life simpler and people more natural? I mean people still had virtues and vices, but they were probably simpler, more natural and more down-to-earth.

Consider these advantages that 1914 probably had over 2014:

- Women back then were raised to be elegant, feminine and lady-like. They could not go to events or parties without a chaperone. They wore feminine dresses and clothing. They were conditioned to develop feminine traits. They were glad to take a man's hand when they got out of a carriage or car, for instance.
- Women sought marriage and needed men. They were shamed if they slept with too many men.
- Women acted more sweet and innocent. They were flattered by compliments.
- Clothes looked much more Victorian and cultured, more refined and classy, similar to how they did in the 19th Century. You've all seen them in historical movies, photos and plays.
- Architecture of cities and towns was more colorful, creative and European-like.
- People were more down-to-earth and natural probably.
- Everyone knew their neighbors and were closer to them. There was a natural warmth from the locals in your town. People were more neighborly.
- There was no political correctness. People told it like it is. They could be racist or sexist if they wanted to and didn't have to suppress it. They could discriminate if they wanted to and didn't have to hide it.
- Men did not have to listen to women or treat them like "the boss". Women were considered less credible and less intelligent, and could not boss men around.
- If you wanted to meet women, your local town had barn dances you could go to.
- There was no rock and roll music, and hence no trash culture. Music was more wholesome.
- There weren't as many cops around.
- The dollar was stronger and inflation hadn't taken root yet.
- You could travel without a passport because passports hadn't been invented yet.
- Life was simpler with less things to keep track of.
- Cars and houses were cheaper to buy. You could build a house for less than a thousand dollars.
- Food was more natural and wholesome without chemicals.
- People did not watch TV all day or become self-absorbed. They had natural human contact instead. Kids played outside with other kids, instead of playing video games or watching TV.

What do you think? I know every era had pluses and minuses, but the above would probably be advantages wouldn't they?

Sorry for hypothesizing so much, but as a history buff who watches a lot of historical films, I can't help but wonder about this sometimes.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

This depends on where you lived. WWI started in 1914 and, if you're unfortunate enough to reside in the conflict zone, you're SOL.

For 1914 England, only a small % of privileged population wore nice Victorian style dresses and attended parties with chaperons. The vast majority of the population were of the working class that spent ~60% of their income on cheap food such as potatoes. Tea and sweets were considered a luxury, and only 50% of children stayed in school to age 14. If you're a man of military service age living in UK, there's a good chance that you'd have been drafted to the army. During WWI, the British army suffered ~670,000 dead or missing and 1.64 million wounded.
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Suffrage Movement wasn't too long after though.

I know in Victorian era factory life was rough to say the least. You might have to go back even earlier or to a place like rural France instead.

Anyway, I fantasize about life as a tribesman in the Caucasus during the Great Game. Hard work surely, but a full one. No mass production. Everything ordered. Close families and clear hierarchy.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

If you were rich, white Anglo saxon or comfortable and living in the USA, or Argentina, then yes.

In Europe, no because that was the beginning of WWI. My great grandfather who had been a fairly well-off wheat dealer died during that time -- he simply starved to death. The city was besieged by Germans and no food was to be found anywhere.

And discrimination- oh yes, they were also lynching people right and left. And many opportunities were denied to this or that group.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

For these reasons yes:
- There weren't as many cops around.
- The dollar was stronger and inflation hadn't taken root yet.
- You could travel without a passport because passports hadn't been invented yet.

As for food being wholesome, that is not the truth. Ever read The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair? That will put that idea to death. As for the others, eh, maybe. Most of the working class was rough, just as they are today. I think the Victorian ideals were not passed down until later.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

ladislav wrote:If you were rich, white Anglo saxon or comfortable and living in the USA, or Argentina, then yes.

In Europe, no because that was the beginning of WWI. My great grandfather who had been a fairly well-off wheat dealer died during that time -- he simply starved to death. The city was besieged by Germans and no food was to be found anywhere.

And discrimination- oh yes, they were also lynching people right and left. And many opportunities were denied to this or that group.
this, what nonsense made you think of this winston?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

While it would depend who you were, I would have preferred 1914 in the main. We still had normal human societies then, with marriages, large extended families living in close proximity, natural hierarchies, ethnic and religious pride etc., as opposed to the atomized death cult of today. The men from where I come from were mainly relatively prosperous farmers and tradesmen, tough, intelligent but not intellectual, men of honor who would no doubt be horrified at the idea that the mixture of corporate bullshit artists, welfare methheads and feminized girlymen who replaced them could even exist. Then again, they did go off to fight a really stupid war, so there must have been some things wrong with them.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

How was casual sex back in 1914?

What percentage of women were into it or were brothels the only outlet for men to have casual sex?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Banano wrote:How was casual sex back in 1914?

What percentage of women were into it or were brothels the only outlet for men to have casual sex?
There were saloons and brothels in every town, like in the Old West. Prostitution was still legal I think.
ladislav wrote: If you were rich, white Anglo saxon or comfortable and living in the USA, or Argentina, then yes.

Even if you weren't rich, if you had a good family in the US, like in the TV show "The Waltons" or "Little House on the Prairie" then you'd still have a good life. Cost of living wasn't as high.

WWI only lasted a few years. You didn't have to participate in it. Why would he starve? There was plenty of food in Europe.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

1914 was the end of the Golden Age which lasted from 1870. The world was still on the gold standard. The Federal Reserve and Income Taxes came in about 1913. The US population was largely pacifist then until an enormous propaganda effort got them to hate Germans. It wasn't just good for the rich. It was the time when there was large immigration from Europe who eventually became prosperous. The freaks who have so much respect today didn't last long back then creating a healthier, happier society for all.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Enjoy your poverty, lack of antibiotics and really anything resembling useful medicine, painfully long working hours, and lack of almost anything resembling modern convenience, from supermarket supply chains to decent roads.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: WWI only lasted a few years. You didn't have to participate in it. Why would he starve? There was plenty of food in Europe.
Urban areas, such as Belgium, only grew enough food for 20%-25% of its needs. The rest had to be imported. WWI had cause massive disruptions to food (grain) transports and areas such as Belgium, Northern France, and Germany suffered food shortages & deaths from starvation. Russia also suffered famine in 1916-1917.

If you're a man of military service age in a warring country, it's not a choice to participate or not. You get drafted and sent off to war.

Failure to register within 7 days of notice means fine or imprisonment and immediate induction into military service.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:Enjoy your poverty, lack of antibiotics and really anything resembling useful medicine, painfully long working hours, and lack of almost anything resembling modern convenience, from supermarket supply chains to decent roads.
Are you talking about then or now?
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
HouseMD wrote:Enjoy your poverty, lack of antibiotics and really anything resembling useful medicine, painfully long working hours, and lack of almost anything resembling modern convenience, from supermarket supply chains to decent roads.
Are you talking about then or now?
Anyone volunteering to be a part of The Lost Generation is obviously a fool. Yeah, lets all wish we had to go through fighting a world war then survive a catastrophic great depression.

And we currently are not lacking all of the things I mentioned, at least in my state. Roads are good, modern conveniences abound, Ivy league medical care, and an average work week that is less than half the hours a member of the middle class worked in 1914. Oh right, also an annual income in the top 5 amongst states of the US. I'd say weve got it pretty damn good compared to 2014.