Historical Eras or Cultures That You Resonate With.

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Re: Historical Eras or Cultures That You Resonate With.

Post by Pixel--Dude »

gsjackson wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 10:08 am
U.S. 1950s to early '60s. I was there.
What was it like? Is it as classy as I've romanticised it to be? Did you give the playlist a listen I posted? Did you like any of those songs from back then?
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 11:27 am
At my heart I am a late medieval to 19th century Islamic conqueror. A great lord of a faraway exotic land, a harem of the finest, tightest, hand-picked virgins and my beck and call. Endless sons and daughters, to be married off to competing warlords and rulers, forging alliances. It is my great misfortune that I was born in a liberal Western country when at heart I'm Ibn al-Saud himself... great caravans as far as the eye can see stretched out behind me, my enemies running for their lives in front of me, sand and extreme heat cannot harm me for soon I'll wade again into that harem, picking whoever I want to pick, maybe two girls, maybe three if I'm feeling particularly strong...
I think Islamic warlord doesn't resonate with me personally. I think the desert climate and extreme heat are completely incompatible with me. My soul prefers more moderate temperatures. Hate and heat are anagrams of each other for a reason :lol:

I've always had an affinity towards the sea. So maybe for myself a seafaring viking warlord vibes much better. Perhaps I came across the ocean and taught the sissies Britons how to fight, f**k and wear the trousers :lol:
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 11:40 am
MarcosZeitola wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 11:27 am
At my heart I am a late medieval to 19th century Islamic conqueror. A great lord of a faraway exotic land, a harem of the finest, tightest, hand-picked virgins and my beck and call. Endless sons and daughters, to be married off to competing warlords and rulers, forging alliances. It is my great misfortune that I was born in a liberal Western country when at heart I'm Ibn al-Saud himself... great caravans as far as the eye can see stretched out behind me, my enemies running for their lives in front of me, sand and extreme heat cannot harm me for soon I'll wade again into that harem, picking whoever I want to pick, maybe two girls, maybe three if I'm feeling particularly strong...
I think Islamic warlord doesn't resonate with me personally. I think the desert climate and extreme heat are completely incompatible with me. My soul prefers more moderate temperatures. Hate and heat are anagrams of each other for a reason :lol:

I've always had an affinity towards the sea. So maybe for myself a seafaring viking warlord vibes much better. Perhaps I came across the ocean and taught the sissies Britons how to fight, f**k and wear the trousers :lol:
I like the Mongolian warlord. Get to shoot people between their eyes with my composite bow. :lol:
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 11:37 am
gsjackson wrote:
What was it like? Is it as classy as I've romanticised it to be? Did you give the playlist a listen I posted? Did you like any of those songs from back then?
It was much more formal and structured (though entirely without helicopter parenting; kids just took off on their own and amused themselves), more homogeneous, more elegant, infinitely more wholesome, much, much more literate (the vocabulary of the average American has declined by a few thousand words since then). The three great themes of modern culture -- revenge of the nerds, of the ugly women and of the homosexuals had not begun to be a factor. Poofters wee completely closeted. The Jews were trying to assimilate then rather than destroy, often through sports and music, and there were several talented tunesmiths and wordsmiths among them. Is it even remotely conceivable that a line could be penned today like this doozy by Oscar Hammerstein from the playlist: "I'm bromidic and bright as a moon-happy night throwing light on the dew?"
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

gsjackson wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 1:16 pm
Pixel--Dude wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
It was much more formal and structured (though entirely without helicopter parenting; kids just took off on their own and amused themselves), more homogeneous, more elegant, infinitely more wholesome, much, much more literate (the vocabulary of the average American has declined by a few thousand words since then). The three great themes of modern culture -- revenge of the nerds, of the ugly women and of the homosexuals had not begun to be a factor. Poofters wee completely closeted. The Jews were trying to assimilate then rather than destroy, often through sports and music, and there were several talented tunesmiths and wordsmiths among them. Is it even remotely conceivable that a line could be penned today like this doozy by Oscar Hammerstein from the playlist: "I'm bromidic and bright as a moon-happy night throwing light on the dew?"
I notice that Black people were better behaved in the 50's too. There were segregation, but black communities were strong with it's own banks, schools, hospitals, churches, etc. Black people were prim and proper and doesn't behave like bunch of savages like today.

Interviews of Black people that lived in the 1950's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_hGNks ... vidHoffman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek2IQ79 ... vidHoffman

Sound much better than today with "Muh Diiick", "I'm Pressin Charges" or my favorite "Sheeeeiiiittt!!" :lol:
kukushka
Freshman Poster

Post by kukushka »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 8:26 am
kukushka wrote:
June 6th, 2023, 8:32 am
@Pixel--Dude
of course I believe in reincarnation, it was something the original gnostics believed in. why do you think I wouldnt believe it? just curious

I resonate with japan, mexico, china. hmmm...my interest in different cultures waxes and wanes over time. I think ive always liked mexico though, for some reason
In my other thread you suggested that individuals are simply Brahman incarnated to experience itself. Your position negates the true individual. I argued that souls are Atman, derived from Brahman but different. How does reincarnation work in your model? Do souls not just become part of the source again?

I've never felt any affiliation with Mexico, though China and Japan both resonate. Of course I'm talking about the ancient cultures of these two countries. The traditional architecture, the aesthetics of the buildings, armour and weapons fascinates me.
my understanding is that souls are trapped in the cycle of death and rebirth until they achieve gnosis (enlightenment), after that point once they die then they go back to the source.

I think atman appears to be true but ultimately is not because we're all brahman and brahman is all of us. anyways assume that atman is permanent, then what? could you imagine living forever? at some point existence becomes meaningless in the broad, cosmic scale of things and you would wish that you could just forget everything.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 1:31 pm
gsjackson wrote:
Pixel--Dude wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
I notice that Black people were better behaved in the 50's too. There were segregation, but black communities were strong with it's own banks, schools, hospitals, churches, etc. Black people were prim and proper and doesn't behave like bunch of savages like today.

Sound much better than today with "Muh Diiick", "I'm Pressin Charges" or my favorite "Sheeeeiiiittt!!" :lol:
Absolutely, and while I can't defend state-imposed segregation, race relations were much more cordial then. My first memory of a black person was sitting next to one on an airplane when I was four. I had flown alone to New Orleans for Mardi Gras with my grandparents (we lived across the state in Shreveport) and on the way back this nice black lady was very solicitous of my welfare. Made me eat all my green beans, which maternal types would do in those days. (Note the airlines were not segregated on southern routes then.)
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

gsjackson wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 7:17 pm
June 8th, 2023, 1:31 pm
gsjackson wrote:
Pixel--Dude wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

Absolutely, and while I can't defend state-imposed segregation, race relations were much more cordial then. My first memory of a black person was sitting next to one on an airplane when I was four. I had flown alone to New Orleans for Mardi Gras with my grandparents (we lived across the state in Shreveport) and on the way back this nice black lady was very solicitous of my welfare. Made me eat all my green beans, which maternal types would do in those days. (Note the airlines were not segregated on southern routes then.)
Sheeeeeitttt....You don't see those maternal black women these days.. The only maternal black women you'll see is "Madea" taking up two seats on a airplane. :lol: Just joking.

I agree.. things have changed for the worst. I don't support segregation either but desegregation and then subsidizing the black population turns out to be a failure. Every time a black guy try to be civil, he get called a "house niggah" or something like that.
Black people have to act all Ghetto and Gangsta to be considered cool. It seems that Black community has disintegrated really badly.
With BET, Hip Hop music, TikTok, Dope pushing, Single motherhood, The projects, affirmative action, Urban decay, etc. It's quite sad.

I am not a black guy, I ma Korean and Koreans don't get any subsidies from the U.S government, so we have to work or starve.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

June 8th, 2023, 10:14 am
gsjackson wrote:
Lot of Americans say 1950's were the best. 1980's Japan was the best too. Lots of money going around, everybody vacationed in Hawaii, drove expensive German cars, lifetime employment, endless parties..
@Pixel--Dude also likes the 1950s but for some reason that decade just doesn't resonate with me at all. I don't really dig the music, aesthetic or overall vibe.

I'm absolutely obsessed with the 1980s though. The 80s were so vibrant and full of fun and revelry, had awesome fashion, produced some of the best music ever, and gave us awesome macho action movies as well as the likes of The Karate Kid, Scarface and Miami Vice! 8)

The 80s had a special kind of freedom and were populated by hot womens and macho mens (people were way more attractive in the 80s and many of the girls looked gorgeous in a way that perfectly combined sexiness and a wholesome aesthetic without any of the trashiness that we see today). There were gays and trannies (indeed, much of the gay club scene began in the 80s) but the hysterical SJW phenomenon wasn't a thing yet and people weren't as weirdo and belligerent as they are today. People were too busy partying, dancing to Michael Jackson and Prince, and having a good time! 8)

No internet either. No antisocial smartphone generation. People lived real life and spent time with real people. You had to buy music from the record store and watch movies on VHS. There was no pronhub or anything like that. You had to buy physical copies of magazines and raunchy videos. There was a certain magic to all of that.

I didn't live through the 80s, by the way. I'm too young for that. But my momma and many people who I know tell me about how awesome that decade was and I've always been fanatically obsessed with the decade and its culture. 8)
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Lucas88 wrote:
June 10th, 2023, 7:36 am
June 8th, 2023, 10:14 am
gsjackson wrote:
Lot of Americans say 1950's were the best. 1980's Japan was the best too. Lots of money going around, everybody vacationed in Hawaii, drove expensive German cars, lifetime employment, endless parties..
@Pixel--Dude also likes the 1950s but for some reason that decade just doesn't resonate with me at all. I don't really dig the music, aesthetic or overall vibe.

I'm absolutely obsessed with the 1980s though. The 80s were so vibrant and full of fun and revelry, had awesome fashion, produced some of the best music ever, and gave us awesome macho action movies as well as the likes of The Karate Kid, Scarface and Miami Vice! 8)

The 80s had a special kind of freedom and were populated by hot womens and macho mens (people were way more attractive in the 80s and many of the girls looked gorgeous in a way that perfectly combined sexiness and a wholesome aesthetic without any of the trashiness that we see today). There were gays and trannies (indeed, much of the gay club scene began in the 80s) but the hysterical SJW phenomenon wasn't a thing yet and people weren't as weirdo and belligerent as they are today. People were too busy partying, dancing to Michael Jackson and Prince, and having a good time! 8)

No internet either. No antisocial smartphone generation. People lived real life and spent time with real people. You had to buy music from the record store and watch movies on VHS. There was no pronhub or anything like that. You had to buy physical copies of magazines and raunchy videos. There was a certain magic to all of that.

I didn't live through the 80s, by the way. I'm too young for that. But my momma and many people who I know tell me about how awesome that decade was and I've always been fanatically obsessed with the decade and its culture. 8)
I was born in the 90's but I tend to miss the 80's too because how cool and magical it was. 1980's Japan is a truly magical place. My father been to Japan on many business trips and he said it was much more advanced and futuristic than South Korea ever was. South Korea was still under development and ruled by a military Junta back then. Many Koreans felt the same about Japan. It was light years ahead. He brought much cool gadgets from Japan.

I somewhat miss the late 90's and early 00's too. Back then I was happy, care free, and had friends unlike today's hellhole. There was no Social Media except Myspace, and everyone was optimistic about the future. Nowadays all the lifeforce, warmth and soul has been sucked out and everything is corporatized and standardized to the extreme. It's near impossible to form human connections now and everybody has become more ruthless and selfish bastards than before. Before people were wholesome and have more touch with their emotions. Now being a sociopathic asshole is considered a badge of honor.