Which aspects of modern culture have improved and declined in the last half century?

If you're a history buff, love to talk about history and watch the History Channel, this is the board for that.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Which aspects of modern culture have improved and declined in the last half century?

Post by Lucas88 »

Our misanthropic moderator @fschmidt wrote something which caught my attention not so long ago. He argued that the year 2000 was the point from which everything in our civilization started going to shit (or becoming garbage made by and suitable for "modern scum" as he would put it) while most things in the few decades prior to that date were much better. The decline in quality of software seems to be his biggest grievance.

I found fschmidt's dating of the inception of the decline of modern culture interesting because I myself have always placed the date at around the mid 2000s. I was in sixth form college and around that time I started to notice that popular music, movies, TV shows and pretty much every other medium of entertainment had gotten worse than what it was just a few years earlier and seemed to be progressively deteriorating. Times were changing and not for the better.

Why do our dates differ by about 5 years? I don't know. Maybe I was still holding on to some of the half-decent cultural overflow of the 90s that persisted into the early 2000s and therefore perceived that period to be somewhat better than what it really was in conjunction with my youthful nostalgia. In retrospect, I'm of the view that the early 2000s were okay precisely because they were in many ways an extension of the 90s and had more or less the same vibe. The latter half of the decade felt completely different and was quite unremarkable.

So I largely agree with fschmidt that modern culture began to significantly decline at the turn of the century (no need to quibble over the exact date).

People, in your opinion, which aspects of modern culture have declined and which, if any, have improved?

My view:

Technology - Obvious improvement

Technology is probably the only area of improvement that we can all agree on (even if some of us dislike certain aspects of today's technology such as, in fschmidt's case, the quality of programming languages). Today we enjoy the benefits of smartphones vs. the atrocious mobile phones of the 90s, wireless internet access almost everywhere, computers with way more RAM and storage memory, the current AI boom and ever-evolving robotics, etc.

Music - Tremendous decline

In my opinion, music reached its peak in the 80s, was okay for the most part in the 90s and then started to rapidly decline in the 2000s. The early 2000s still had some decent R&B with smooth female vocals but was progressively infected with rap music beginning around 2001. At the same time, pop was getting more vacuous with stuff like Britney Spears and countless other plastic female idols and annoying boy bands. Meanwhile, on the metal side you had the aggressive and psychotic subgenre of Nu Metal enjoying its final few years of popularity. After around 2005, most music just became increasingly hideous, unlistenable, indecent and degenerate. If you thought Britney was bad then the likes of Nicki, Katy and then Cardi (uhhhh) were 100 times worse. Nowadays the whole music scene sounds so homogenous with all of the same soulless clones that pass for "artists" and that horrible trap sound. :(

Movies and TV shows - Mostly in decline

The movies of the 80s and 90s were awesome and original and told a story. You had many iconic classics and even the less artistically brilliant ones were still often captivating and touched you in some way. The movies of the 80s were more fantastic and over the top like The Karate Kid, Rocky, Rambo and Top Gun while those of the 90s had a lot more realism and included things like Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, American Beauty and Fight Club. The early 2000s still had good movies such as Gladiator, Training Day and Kill Bill (similar in tone to the 90s). However, I remember movies being worse in the late 2000s and then in the decades after things got even worse with the introduction of all of the woke BS in modern entertainment and countless rehashed franchises and formulaic superhero shit.

Art and aesthetics - Unsure, already subverted

The subversion of art and aesthetics arguably began in the early 20th century with the emergence of the likes of Dadaism and the promotion of all kinds of postmodern pseudo-art financed by globalist elites such as the Rockefellers. Art was already dead long before our period of interest. It was one of the first things to be subverted. Miles Mathis has written some very in-depth articles on the process. Therefore, I'm really not sure how the quality of art has change in the last half century.

Women - Atrocious decline

This one is obvious. Women were much more beautiful and classier on the 80s and 90s and still looked okay in the early 2000s. They dressed well, spoke better, had more feminine mannerisms, didn't hate men and very few had trashy tattoos. I find many women from that period genuinely attractive. Just look how much more wholesome models and celebrities looked back then. Now a large percentage of Western Wymminz are ugly, obese, tattoed beasts who look almost indistinguishable from men.

Men - Another atrocious decline

Don't think that I'm just a "misogynist", people. I think that many of the men today are also shit and utterly worthless. A large subset of millennials and Gen-Z'ers are pathetic low-test dweeby pussies with test levels of 300dl/ng or less and lack any genuine masculine qualities. Studies show that test levels have been dropping incrementally since the 80s (most likely due to all of the endocrine disruptors and xenoestrogens in the environment). The men today are objectively worse from a biological standpoint.

Pro wrestling - Near-universally recognized decline

The 80s had the Golden Era of WWF with icons such as Hulk Hogan, "Macho Man" Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior, and the late 90s had the legendary Attitude Era with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Rock. Those were two major wrestling booms. In the early 2000s WWF/WWE continued to be decent with the Ruthless Aggression Era and the emergence of many new wrestling superstars, but the product turned into a PG circus shortly after the Benoit incident in 2007 and has progressively deteriorated since. Nowadays wrestling has been taken over by the "Indy scene" and largely caters to fat smelly dorky incels who mark out to garbage like AEW and New Japan Pro Wrestling and cheer on their favorite boring vanilla midgets. I hate modern wrestling.

Martial Arts - Tremendous Improvement

Since the 2000s (or even earlier in some parts of the world) we've been enjoying a golden age of martial arts. Gone are the days of goofy Karate fighting and cheesy Kung Fu movies that the naïve confused with real life. Now we have Brazilian Jiujitsu, Muay Thai and MMA gyms in any sizeable town, wrestling (freestyle) being taken seriously as a combat art, and countless technical innovations being showcased on YouTube from all around the world. What a time to be a martial artist! As for the UFC, it saw a tremendous improvement in the mid 2000s and continues to evolve in quality to this day.

These are my assessments. What are yours? Please add new categories if necessary.
WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster

Re: Which aspects of modern culture have improved and declined in the last half century?

Post by WanderingProtagonist »

Lucas88 wrote:
November 12th, 2023, 6:12 pm
Our misanthropic moderator @fschmidt wrote something which caught my attention not so long ago. He argued that the year 2000 was the point from which everything in our civilization started going to shit (or becoming garbage made by and suitable for "modern scum" as he would put it) while most things in the few decades prior to that date were much better. The decline in quality of software seems to be his biggest grievance.

I found fschmidt's dating of the inception of the decline of modern culture interesting because I myself have always placed the date at around the mid 2000s. I was in sixth form college and around that time I started to notice that popular music, movies, TV shows and pretty much every other medium of entertainment had gotten worse than what it was just a few years earlier and seemed to be progressively deteriorating. Times were changing and not for the better.

Why do our dates differ by about 5 years? I don't know. Maybe I was still holding on to some of the half-decent cultural overflow of the 90s that persisted into the early 2000s and therefore perceived that period to be somewhat better than what it really was in conjunction with my youthful nostalgia. In retrospect, I'm of the view that the early 2000s were okay precisely because they were in many ways an extension of the 90s and had more or less the same vibe. The latter half of the decade felt completely different and was quite unremarkable.

So I largely agree with fschmidt that modern culture began to significantly decline at the turn of the century (no need to quibble over the exact date).

People, in your opinion, which aspects of modern culture have declined and which, if any, have improved?

My view:

Technology is probably the only area of improvement that we can all agree on (even if some of us dislike certain aspects of today's technology such as, in fschmidt's case, the quality of programming languages). Today we enjoy the benefits of smartphones vs. the atrocious mobile phones of the 90s, wireless internet access almost everywhere, computers with way more RAM and storage memory, the current AI boom and ever-evolving robotics, etc.

Music - Tremendous decline

In my opinion, music reached its peak in the 80s, was okay for the most part in the 90s and then started to rapidly decline in the 2000s. The early 2000s still had some decent R&B with smooth female vocals but was progressively infected with rap music beginning around 2001. At the same time, pop was getting more vacuous with stuff like Britney Spears and countless other plastic female idols and annoying boy bands. Meanwhile, on the metal side you had the aggressive and psychotic subgenre of Nu Metal enjoying its final few years of popularity. After around 2005, most music just became increasingly hideous, unlistenable, indecent and degenerate. If you thought Britney was bad then the likes of Nicki, Katy and then Cardi (uhhhh) were 100 times worse. Nowadays the whole music scene sounds so homogenous with all of the same soulless clones that pass for "artists" and that horrible trap sound. :(

Movies and TV shows - Mostly in decline

The movies of the 80s and 90s were awesome and original and told a story. You had many iconic classics and even the less artistically brilliant ones were still often captivating and touched you in some way. The movies of the 80s were more fantastic and over the top like The Karate Kid, Rocky, Rambo and Top Gun while those of the 90s had a lot more realism and included things like Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, American Beauty and Fight Club. The early 2000s still had good movies such as Gladiator, Training Day and Kill Bill (similar in tone to the 90s). However, I remember movies being worse in the late 2000s and then in the decades after things got even worse with the introduction of all of the woke BS in modern entertainment and countless rehashed franchises and formulaic superhero shit.

Art and aesthetics - Unsure, already subverted

The subversion of art and aesthetics arguably began in the early 20th century with the emergence of the likes of Dadaism and the promotion of all kinds of postmodern pseudo-art financed by globalist elites such as the Rockefellers. Art was already dead long before our period of interest. It was one of the first things to be subverted. Miles Mathis has written some very in-depth articles on the process. Therefore, I'm really not sure how the quality of art has change in the last half century.

Women - Atrocious decline

This one is obvious. Women were much more beautiful and classier on the 80s and 90s and still looked okay in the early 2000s. They dressed well, spoke better, had more feminine mannerisms, didn't hate men and very few had trashy tattoos. I find many women from that period genuinely attractive. Just look how much more wholesome models and celebrities looked back then. Now a large percentage of Western Wymminz are ugly, obese, tattoed beasts who look almost indistinguishable from men.

Men - Another atrocious decline

Don't think that I'm just a "misogynist", people. I think that many of the men today are also shit and utterly worthless. A large subset of millennials and Gen-Z'ers are pathetic low-test dweeby pussies with test levels of 300dl/ng or less and lack any genuine masculine qualities. Studies show that test levels have been dropping incrementally since the 80s (most likely due to all of the endocrine disruptors and xenoestrogens in the environment). The men today are objectively worse from a biological standpoint.

Pro wrestling - Near-universally recognized decline

The 80s had the Golden Era of WWF with icons such as Hulk Hogan, "Macho Man" Randy Savage and The Ultimate Warrior, and the late 90s had the legendary Attitude Era with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and The Rock. Those were two major wrestling booms. In the early 2000s WWF/WWE continued to be decent with the Ruthless Aggression Era and the emergence of many new wrestling superstars, but the product turned into a PG circus shortly after the Benoit incident in 2007 and has progressively deteriorated since. Nowadays wrestling has been taken over by the "Indy scene" and largely caters to fat smelly dorky incels who mark out to garbage like AEW and New Japan Pro Wrestling and cheer on their favorite boring vanilla midgets. I hate modern wrestling.

Martial Arts - Tremendous Improvement

Since the 2000s (or even earlier in some parts of the world) we've been enjoying a golden age of martial arts. Gone are the days of goofy Karate fighting and cheesy Kung Fu movies that the naïve confused with real life. Now we have Brazilian Jiujitsu, Muay Thai and MMA gyms in any sizeable town, wrestling (freestyle) being taken seriously as a combat art, and countless technical innovations being showcased on YouTube from all around the world. What a time to be a martial artist! As for the UFC, it saw a tremendous improvement in the mid 2000s and continues to evolve in quality to this day.

These are my assessments. What are yours? Please add new categories if necessary.
I am going to comment on this later because I know this speaks volumes to me on so many damn levels.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Which aspects of modern culture have improved and declined in the last half century?

Post by fschmidt »

Lucas88 wrote:

I want to point out that all of these improvements are a result of Moore's law and that otherwise there have been almost no improvements in technology. Software has gotten much worse. Hardware design is worse. My iPhone doesn't have an on/off button. Almost all gadgets have been made more confusing and unusable with technology. For example cars have become a technological nightmare instead of a simple means to transportation.

Plenty of other areas have become worse. Obviously politics and government. I think restaurant food has gotten worse. Air travel has gotten worse. And forum content has gotten worse.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

fschmidt wrote:
November 12th, 2023, 8:19 pm
Lucas88 wrote:

I want to point out that all of these improvements are a result of Moore's law and that otherwise there have been almost no improvements in technology. Software has gotten much worse. Hardware design is worse. My iPhone doesn't have an on/off button. Almost all gadgets have been made more confusing and unusable with technology. For example cars have become a technological nightmare instead of a simple means to transportation.

Plenty of other areas have become worse. Obviously politics and government. I think restaurant food has gotten worse. Air travel has gotten worse. And forum content has gotten worse.
Lol. Because the iphone has not on off button it technology has not improved.

I asked bard AI for some arguments against that bullshit:
While some might argue that technological advancements have slowed down since the year 2000, there are several counterpoints that suggest otherwise. Here are a few examples of how technology has continued to evolve and transform our lives in the 21st century:

The rise of smartphones and mobile technology: The introduction of smartphones in the mid-2000s revolutionized communication, entertainment, and access to information. Today, smartphones are ubiquitous, and their capabilities continue to expand, encompassing everything from photography and videography to artificial intelligence and virtual reality.

The explosion of social media: Social media platforms have emerged as powerful tools for connecting people, sharing ideas, and influencing public discourse. They have also transformed the way businesses interact with customers and conduct marketing campaigns.

The advancement of artificial intelligence (AI): AI has become increasingly sophisticated, enabling applications like self-driving cars, voice assistants, and facial recognition software. AI is also transforming industries such as healthcare, finance, and manufacturing.

The widespread adoption of cloud computing: Cloud computing has made it easier and more affordable for businesses and individuals to access and store data, run applications, and develop software.

The progress in renewable energy and sustainability: Technological advancements in renewable energy sources like solar and wind power, as well as energy-efficient technologies, are helping to address climate change and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels.

The development of new medical technologies: Medical advancements continue to improve the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases. Examples include gene editing techniques, personalized medicine, and robotic surgery.

The expansion of access to the internet and digital technologies: The internet has become more accessible to people around the world, bridging the digital divide and fostering global connectivity.

The growth of the e-commerce industry: Online shopping has become commonplace, transforming the retail landscape and providing consumers with more choices and convenience.

The increasing use of drones and robotics: Drones are being used for a variety of purposes, including delivery services, aerial photography, and environmental monitoring. Robotics is also transforming industries like manufacturing and healthcare.

The emergence of new technologies like blockchain and cryptocurrency: Blockchain technology has the potential to revolutionize various industries, from finance to supply chain management. Cryptocurrency, a digital or virtual currency, is challenging traditional financial systems.

These examples demonstrate that technology has not stagnated since the year 2000. On the contrary, it has continued to evolve at a rapid pace, transforming our lives in countless ways. As we look to the future, we can expect even more technological advancements that will shape our world in ways we can only imagine.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

galii wrote:
November 13th, 2023, 12:51 am
I asked bard AI for some arguments against that bullshit:
AI has become quite good at synthesizing the lies of modern scum, as this quote shows. Is that in itself progress? Maybe. I asked ChatGPT a programming problem yesterday and it synthesized all the useless bullshit posted on the web about this problem, none of which solves it.
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

fschmidt wrote:
I understand your point to a degree. In general terms, technology has undeniably improved in a sense that there are now computers with many times the processing power of those from around 2000, far greater interconnectivity in terms of communications, many new products that are the result of recent technological innovations, and now an explosion of chatbots, generative AI programs and advances in robotics, machine learning and data science which would have seemed like science fiction to most people 20 years ago, yet at the same time I also notice that many gadgets today are needlessly complicated. TVs used to be simple to use in the 2000s. Now my smart TV likewise doesn't have an on/off button and is a pain in the ass to use. Simplicity is definitely a virtue that is lacking in quite a few things these days.
fschmidt wrote:
Politics is indeed another area that has gotten much worse. In the 80s, 90s and early 2000s people used to talk about real issues for the most part. Now you turn on the TV (when you figure out how to turn it on) or go on the internet and there are discussions about pronouns, an assortment of made-up genders, people unironically asking what a woman is, and "controversies" over non-issues like LGBT. In the last 10 years or so the political landscape has become a full-blown mental asylum and the IQ of discussions has dropped well below the level of retarded.

Food quality and environment have also gotten significantly worse since the 80s. There has been an increase in toxic food additives and pesticides as well as harmful toxins found in the likes of plastic bottles and food containers (e.g., BPA) and various other products commonly used in our daily lives. Now far more kids are developing autism, ADHD and other developmental disorders.

I wonder about education - both compulsory and higher. How bad has education gotten?

What about language? Are most people today far worse at expressing themselves in speech and writing?

WanderingProtagonist wrote:
November 12th, 2023, 6:48 pm
I am going to comment on this later because I know this speaks volumes to me on so many damn levels.
Yes, please do. I'm interested in what you have to say.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FPer6cISiBA
The future is here but it is not distributed equally