Rich Texan Girl Hunts Endangered Species

Discuss news and current events around the world.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Tsar wrote: Many of the people that hunt pay $6,000-$10,000 and they hunt as much as they want, even killing endangered species, which is not right. Elephants are one of the slowest reproducing animals in the world and they don't repopulate fast enough. The $10,000 isn't what would be considered a large amount of money relative to the killing of endangered species, and endangered species should be preserved. Allowing the killing of an endangered species is just as bad as poaching because both contribute to the decline of the species.
If you were to believe that hunters only paid such small sums, then it shouldn't cost too much for animal welfare activists to donate sufficient funds every year to off-set hunting income, and buy up all the tags for specific animal(s). So why are these anti-hunting people only vocal when they want to condemn hunting, but silent when it comes to opening their wallets and purses?
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Renata wrote: I'm the kind of woman that likes hunting, my father and my environment encouraged me, but in a sustainable way. We hunt, we eat. Not for sport. Once I got used for bait :oops: there's an island called Goat-island off the coast of Tobago because it's over run with feral goats with big horns. They killed two that day. Wild meat is the leanest healthy meat you'll ever have.
Have you ever read "Clan of the Cave Bears"?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

momopi wrote:
Renata wrote: I'm the kind of woman that likes hunting, my father and my environment encouraged me, but in a sustainable way. We hunt, we eat. Not for sport. Once I got used for bait :oops: there's an island called Goat-island off the coast of Tobago because it's over run with feral goats with big horns. They killed two that day. Wild meat is the leanest healthy meat you'll ever have.
No but I found this clip, looks like a good movie lol

- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Winston wrote:
Renata wrote:Hunting is ok once it's done in a sustainable way & not for profit. We kill & eat so many animals anyway. If I kill it I'll eat it, if I'm not going to eat it I won't kill it.
What kind of a woman likes hunting? Not very lady-like.
Winston our ancestors used to hunt, even if it was catching that chicken in the back yard, you still had to chase it, catch it, chop it's head off, lock it in a bucket until it was dead because a chicken's body keeps flapping 10 mins after you chop it's head off. Granny lived longer than us, ... our ancestors, they weren't obese and there was less disease. Cancer, & stuff like that was unheard of. Hunting is an extenion of nutriton, & being able to feed & sustain your life, it's a good skill to have, what does that have to do with being lady like.

Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

I agree that hunting is a skill that should be learned. In the past there wasn't really as many grocery stores and people had to grow their own food, raise their own food, and hunt for food.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Hunting is actually a necessary part of the planetary system.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:
Winston wrote:
Not very lady-like.
....catching that chicken in the back yard, you still had to chase it, catch it, chop it's head off, lock it in a bucket until it was dead because a chicken's body keeps flapping 10 mins after you chop it's head off. Granny lived longer than us, ... ....being able to feed & sustain your life, it's a good skill to have, what does that have to do with being lady like.

LOL
:lol:

I saw my granny in Montana do that.

And yes she was quite a lady.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Exactly Jester, I saw my granny do it too & if you don't lock that chicken in the bucket after you chop it's head off, blood spraying everywhere ... that saying, don't run around like a headless chicken has some meaning lol

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Renata wrote:Winston our ancestors used to hunt, even if it was catching that chicken in the back yard, you still had to chase it, catch it, chop it's head off, lock it in a bucket until it was dead because a chicken's body keeps flapping 10 mins after you chop it's head off.
You would do better to wring their necks than chop their heads off. That way you can let them jump around while they are dying without them getting blood everywhere.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Tried that as a teen on a ROTC Ranger Company field exercise... when I wrung its neck, the head came off in my hand, and the body proceeded to flutter around. So no improvement over the hatchet.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Jester wrote:Tried that as a teen on a ROTC Ranger Company field exercise... when I wrung its neck, the head came off in my hand, and the body proceeded to flutter around. So no improvement over the hatchet.
Just don't be quite as vigorous. It may take a little practice.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Renata wrote:
momopi wrote:
No but I found this clip, looks like a good movie lol
The book and it sequel (Valley of Horses) are better than the movie. There are several other books in the series which I have not read, but may be interest to you.

Rabbit season officially opened here in CA last month, and so far we haven't had reports of tularemia, but some of the harvested cottontails had tapeworms. There's been a lengthy debate on if it's safe to consume the meat, since tapeworms are host specific and those that infect rabbits generally will not infect humans.

Dove season opens 9/1. :)
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Momopi I ended up watching the entire movie, found it on youtube, it was good & a bit funny. Dove & rabbit, very small catch, do you eat them?

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

momopi wrote:
Rabbit season officially opened here in CA last month, and so far we haven't had reports of tularemia, but some of the harvested cottontails had tapeworms. There's been a lengthy debate on if it's safe to consume the meat, since tapeworms are host specific and those that infect rabbits generally will not infect humans.

Dove season opens 9/1. :)
Thanks for the memories.

My Dad used to go rabbit-hunting in SoCal with my Uncle Ronnie.

Pistols at the hip, quick-draw.

Been a long time since I heard those stories. Thanks.
WindowLicker
Freshman Poster

Post by WindowLicker »

Tapes are easy enough to kill with proper cooking. The pork and beef products sold at major grocery stores are much higher of a risk for this particular parasite, yet infections are rare nowadays.