Golden State Warriors Win - Why the tribal hype?

Discuss news and current events around the world.
drealm
Junior Poster

Golden State Warriors Win - Why the tribal hype?

Post by drealm »

I have never played sports, however I know even less about being a sports fan. None of it makes sense to me and I would like someone who enjoys sports to explain this to me. Since I live in the bay area I've been seeing lots of flags recently for the Golden State Warriors. It took me weeks of seeing them before asking what this was for. I thought it was a school flag at first.

People seem to have strong allegiances to sports teams. However these teams are artificial in every sense of the word. It's pretty much unheard of that any sports teams actually consists entirely of players born and raised in that city. Players are routinely shuffled between teams and will themselves go where they get the best contracts. Stadiums representing a city sometimes aren't even built within the same city. A case of this is the San Francisco 49'ers, which is built 50miles away in another city. Yet people will create riots and kill opposing fans for their team. I recognize the tribal instinct, but I'm absolutely baffled by how people feel a real tribal attachment to something so obviously fake that has no practical value. If Americans applied even 20% of this same passion to religion, which has a real practical value, this would be a different country.

The olympics or world cup I can understand a little more. Typically there's a homogeneous element that makes for different play styles. People can recognize their national character in their country's team and feel some belonging there. A good example of this was the world cup between Germany and Brazil, where Germany conquered Brazil with cold calculating precision while Brazil was just an emotional mess. But even here, most teams are becoming international with no real local character.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Golden State Warriors Win - Why the tribal hype?

Post by Jester »

My feelings are exactly the same. I watch World Cup precisely the same way as you. Costa Rican teamwork, Brazilian individual athleticism, etc. We should watch it together sometime.

And yes the hired gun BS certainly dilutes the tribal joy in conquest, perhaps 98 percent for those of us with a functioning neo-cortex.

In my Future Republic, sports teams representing any state, municipality or school will have to consist of players who are actually FROM there.

Among non-national teams, "Chivas" (Guadalajara soccer) in Mexico has had the reputation of only employing Mexicans.

In the US, under Ted Turner, the Atlanta Braves (baseball) used to have the reputation of fielding only Americans. He bragged about it.

One member of that team caught a lot of shit for expressing his opinions quite colorfully:
http://gothamist.com/2013/08/06/john_ro ... nd_new.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rock ... statements
For a story published in the December 27, 1999 issue of Sports Illustrated, Rocker made a number of allegations stemming from his experiences in New York City and answering a question about whether he would ever play for the New York Yankees or the New York Mets.

I'd retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing... The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?
So yeah, Drealm, I feelya, bro!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

What a weirdo.

Sports teams represent your region and can reflect on you.

Anyway, While you were trying to figure that out (aspie) I was picking up bitches :D

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 19th, 2020, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 19th, 2020, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

It doesn't matter if the players are from the city/state they play for. When they put on the uniform/colors they are representing the city/state they play for, so people don't really care where they are from.
Men bond together through sports. It's the "US vs Them" mentality that brings people together and creates a real sense of community like nothing else.
Like Ghost I live in the south but I love college football. The rivalries between the schools here are intense and its lots of fun to be a part of it all.