Canada set to make national anthem gender-neutral

Discuss news and current events around the world.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Canada set to make national anthem gender-neutral

Post by Teal Lantern »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016 ... /85401218/
The Canadian parliament is close to adopting a bill that would change the national anthem – O Canada – to make it gender-neutral.

The bill, affecting only the English-language lyrics, would change “in all thy sons command” to “in all of us command.”

The initiative, strongly backed by the new Liberal government, overwhelmingly passed two readings this week in the House of Commons, was sent to a heritage committee then went back to the Commons for a third reading. If it passes, as expected, it would then go to the Senate and could be adopted officially this summer, or, more likely, in the fall.

After passing the second reading this week by a wide margin, 219-79, MPs on both sides of the House burst into an impromptu singing of O Canada.
Maybe they should change the first words to O Mangina-da ... :D
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
cdnFA
Junior Poster

Re: Canada set to make national anthem gender-neutral

Post by cdnFA »

I heard the lyrics to the new song.

Canada uh huh uh huh I like it uh huh uh huh
Canada uh huh uh huh I like it uh huh uh huh

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3svW8PM_jc[/youtube]

On a more serious note, I don't see the problem with the change. I don't see a driving need to change it but it's actually for the better.
However I am one of those horrible monsters who think women are soylent green and should be able to vote.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

'The bill, affecting only the English-language lyrics, would change “in all thy sons command” to “in all of us command.'
We had the same discussion in Europe, Austria, with a similar text, changed from 'our sons' to 'our sons, our daughters...'

Now are complaints as this does not sound nice anymore, somehow not fitting together in a musical sense.

There was even the idea by some crazy feminists to change traffic signs to 'gender-streaming' symbols with a 'woman' instead of a 'man' in it, but this did not work out, as traffic signs must be EU conform and cannot be replaced with something else.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

cdnFA wrote:However I am one of those horrible monsters who think women are soylent green and should be able to vote.
Furniture don't vote. :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GMuXGOHDrY[/youtube]
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything