Non-Conformity! [Part I]

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Non-Conformity! [Part I]

Post by Blue Murder »

Consider the following a tl;dr version of Winston's post.

So I get a newsletter that sends shit to my inbox every Sunday, right? I'd stumbled upon this upcoming documentary about life.

You see, life is truly what you make it. I am what's called a "Life Junkie". I have very underground, unorthodox, abnormal thoughts and opinions that would make most philosophers double-take.

For example, I think that a lot of people -- most even -- go through life happily married (or whatever the bullshit equivalent of that would be) without meeting their soul mate(s). I think that 'fate' and 'destiny' are only guidelines (like in the movie The Adjustment Bureau), and that we have the final say-so on what goes on in our lives. I also think that the world can be changed . . . forever.

Life. Over the course of ours, we each come to different forks in the road. Different paths that take us to different places, invite new experiences, and create memories -- both good and bad -- that we'll never forget, or WANT to forget. But the thing is, life has become so centralised -- so dependent on the media, on authority figures (like Winston said), that being "fine", "okay", or "alright", is the new "my life is perfect".

Now, if that's you, cool. Not everyone is naturally independent/whatever-you-wanna-call-it, and that's fine. But what about those of us who tire of being fed the same bullshit daily?

What about those of us who wake up and realise that we've been buying the crap others have sold to us for far too long?

"Holy f**k! When did we start to entertain such bullshit!?"

Questions like that. And most of us don't realise how many more paths could expose themselves to us, once we start to seek them.

Who knows what we're truly capable of!?

I plan on living the kind of life that you could only live if you were reincarnated. To truly break the limits, and 'max-out' my time here. That's part of what being a Life Junkie is all about!

It's very possible to become free in an institutionalised world, but the change has to start somewhere. It has to start with YOU!

Think of this as my introduction to helping others transform themselves and become legendary!

The revolution is me, it's you -- it's ALL OF US! And it starts today. The Age of Conformity is gone. Let the Age of Progression begin!

And please, tell me what you all think! I did join to engage in conversations with people after all.
lavezzi
Junior Poster

Post by lavezzi »

Well there's conscious conformity, such as following trends, which is what most of the population does.

Then there's unconscious conformity, which is following the programming you've picked up, such as which things are desirable/undesirable.

Finally there's total non-conformity, which can only be achieved by identifying yourself not with your physical body, but only with consciousness. Once you've done this you've reached the end of your path, you no longer have a self image to cater to so the only task you have is to avoid biological pain and starvation, you feel good no matter where you are or what you do and you can dedicate your life to helping others. But you can and will still achieve things, but your intuition will guide you rather than what you are programmed to think should be the next step of your conceptual life story.
chaste_filipina
Freshman Poster

My point of view . . .

Post by chaste_filipina »

Seems to me that you have reached the point of living life to the fullest.

The world is conditioned to fit what is the norms of society but it is actually up to you how you make ends meet.

There will be times in your life when you need to compromise and sacrifice your real individuality just to "fit" in today's society.

Society values conformity, not uniqueness of an individual.

If you are now tired of living, then you have given up on yourself to fight for your life.

You can observe people what they do in their lives.

You can follow what they want you to do in your life.

But everything else, with or without them, you are the only author of your life.

You get to decide which things to change and maintain as is.

Life as we all know it, brings us surprises every now and then.

Try to be aware of everything that you do, for once, just try.

Be aware of your own breathing, the feeling of your soles every time you make a step, savor what you see, what you hear, what you feel, what you taste with your five senses.

Let yourself be enthralled by life's creation, no matter how dull or amazing it might be.

Then after experiencing everything, with full awareness, you can now conclude that "Life, itself, is the Present." :P
chaste_filipina
Freshman Poster

My experience with society

Post by chaste_filipina »

Generally, if people don't like you, they will do everything to remove you from their social circle.

Sadly, that's how it goes. People after all, are afraid of becoming different and afraid of rejection.

Before they become confused with their assimilated identity with others, they will reject your whole existence which ultimately makes you feel worthless, unacceptable and unloved.

Don't be bothered by these kind of people. They are insignificant in your life. They do not see the real "YOU."

Be with people who have seen your "real worth".

Those people who cried for your sake when your world was shattered to pieces.

Those people who never criticized and ridiculed you when you made a mistake in your life, whether it was major or minor.

Those people who lift you up from the depths of the abyss and encouraged you to go forward with your broken self.

Those people who never sympathized with you, albeit they are the ones who will emphathize with you, and all of your endless drama.

Embrace and cherish the people who truly loves you despite your own imperfections.

For these kind of people are genuine. Not those "wolf's in sheep clothing."

Don't ever restrain yourself and put limitations if you have not even tried it once.

Just a thought. :P
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

lavezzi wrote:Well there's conscious conformity, such as following trends, which is what most of the population does.

Then there's unconscious conformity, which is following the programming you've picked up, such as which things are desirable/undesirable.

Finally there's total non-conformity, which can only be achieved by identifying yourself not with your physical body, but only with consciousness. Once you've done this you've reached the end of your path, you no longer have a self image to cater to so the only task you have is to avoid biological pain and starvation, you feel good no matter where you are or what you do and you can dedicate your life to helping others. But you can and will still achieve things, but your intuition will guide you rather than what you are programmed to think should be the next step of your conceptual life story.
Absolutely spot on. The unconscious form of conformity, pardon the assonance, is the most dangerous because its targets will never acknowledge its existence and impact on their lives. We have countless techniques of social engineering, refined over the course of the past 100/150 years, that are literally programming every aspect of our lives, what we desire and what we do to try and fulfil those desires. If this programming were solely aimed at a better, healthier society, it could be accused of being dehumanizing, yet still be tolerable. Unfortunately most of the programming we receive only goes to reinforce the system of materialism, mindless consumption and self-gratification we live in. A system designed to feed a small number of transnational corporations with immense profits.

On the onset of the industrial revolution and up until before WW1 we thought we could build and use things to shape our lives. Now things and the supreme makers of things are shaping our lives instead.

Lavezzi I know you're on a path of spiritual self-discovery and that's absolutely laudable of you. However, unfortunately an individual soon finds himself entangled in a web of responsibilities, whether towards those he loves or society at large. Deprogramming oneself completely is impossible, mainly for the fear of losing that web of connection that seems so precious. This is why the best examples of spiritual people I have ever known and met are couples, or entire families, who at some point in their lives sat down and talked through taking a concerted act of free will and start a new life, one more shielded by this kind of unconscious programming.