In which countries do employers do background checks?

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

In which countries do employers do background checks?

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

In which countries do local employers do employee background checks?
I know that the US of Gay does. Canada I think does so too.
And in the US of Gay, if you are honest to a "fault", then they say "Why do you have employment gaps on your resume?"
Then if one were to lie about the dates, then they become disqualified hence failing the background check.

Why isn't having no convictions nor any arrests on one's record not good enough for most US of Gay employers?

Are other countries double-edged sword in that way? Solution: why can't one take a test based on the job he'll perform
and if he scores high or the highest, then he acquires the job afterward (in addition to not having a jail record/conviction)?

Again, get all HA members to assert to this thread! We need answers!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

South Korea requires background checks, so does China--if you're foreigner and want to work in the country.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Shockingly, American universities and colleges don't do criminal background checks. You'd think that they'd be the most picky about who they hire. But for some reason, academia is a field where hopeless screw-ups are tolerated and even rewarded.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Many employers in Central Europe require from successful applicants AFTER they agree to employ them to give them a copy of their police clearance certificate to finalize the working contract within one month (trial period).

This makes it clear that the concerned person was not in jail convicted of a crime during the last 3 years or so.

European justice is rather soft and will not disclose any conviction as a youth. Any conviction data as an adult, depending on the severity of the crime, usually within 3 to 10 years after the prisoner was released from jail, will not show up anymore in the police clearance certificate.
-----

In Japan the legal situation is quite similar, but only few employers are asking for a police clearance certificate, which they consider as more or less useless. Any conviction as a youth (age of majority is 20) will not be disclosed.

There are remarkably few people in jail in Japan and there are plenty of legal procedures making it possible to bail out of a conviction. The prisoner rate Japan:USA is now almost 1:30.

In Japan all foreigners who spend more than 1 year continuously in jail will be deported.

About myself, I am a foreigner in Japan. I was never convicted of any crime anywhere in this world. I was never asked by Japanese immigration authorities, ward offices, Japanese and foreign employers etc. to prove that my record is clean. I only had to sign a very simple standard form that I was never convicted of a crime in Japan or abroad. That's all.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Let me rephrase my question please:

In which countries do employers do an employment history background check? America is the puritanical leader in that so it seems like.

Criminal bkgrd check is pretty much ubiquitous for the most part.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:Let me rephrase my question please:

In which countries do employers do an employment history background check? America is the puritanical leader in that so it seems like.

It is not a question of which countries, it is a question of which employers do so. Prudent employers generally do what they can to vet and screen potential employees.

Small businesses tend to not have the resources to do extensive checks, but many do what they can.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:

It is not a question of which countries, it is a question of which employers do so. Prudent employers generally do what they can to vet and screen potential employees.

Small businesses tend to not have the resources to do extensive checks, but many do what they can.
I hear you, guy. So what if they were local to their country YET they are not multinational corps but they are corps in their country's jurisdiction only?

See, I want to immigrate to a country which doesn't expect me to have nauseating years of experience rather that I can do the job after tests and interviews (even if they were two tests and two exams in order to acquire the position). Indian recruiters whom come to America into the IT market understand this concept, and do not respect American corps views on experience rather they look at the person as whether they can do the job or not.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Theres lots of private contractor jobs in continental Europe where they don't really care about employment gaps because they know that you're a private contractor anyways.

Should be this way in the US too unless you're looking for full-time 40 hours plus benefits gigs.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

I disagree, everyone has access to cheap background checks these days.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

eurobrat wrote:

Maybe I should take my skills to Europe. I just passed my 3-32 Advanced Solutions of MS SharePoint 2013 and got the cert for that.
So now I got the 5-73, the 6-67, the 3-31, and the 3-32 underneath my belt now as a MCP/MCSD.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
eurobrat wrote:

Maybe I should take my skills to Europe. I just passed my 3-32 Advanced Solutions of MS SharePoint 2013 and got the cert for that.
So now I got the 5-73, the 6-67, the 3-31, and the 3-32 underneath my belt now as a MCP/MCSD.
Yea but now you have another problem with visas :)
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

I agree with Eurobrat. I have IT certs Microsoft ones with years of experience but getting access to the EU job market is difficult. I just wished that there were better resources to look for different opportunities outside the US. If you had ancestry in Europe, it would be easier to apply (as an example). However, if someone does not have ancestry or too far removed to claim ancestry, then your options are more limited in working in a European country.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

In the UK it kind of depends on what type of job you apply for.

Apply to be a teacher and they'll do background checks. But in IT I've rarely even had references taken up. Usually you're in the door, and if you don't turn out to be as good as you claimed, then you're fired.

The exception was 2 jobs ago when I worked for the government, then I had to get security cleared.

The only check ALL employers make here now is to see your passport. There are stiff fines for employing II's here now.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

xiongmao wrote:In the UK it kind of depends on what type of job you apply for.

Apply to be a teacher and they'll do background checks. But in IT I've rarely even had references taken up. Usually you're in the door, and if you don't turn out to be as good as you claimed, then you're fired.

The exception was 2 jobs ago when I worked for the government, then I had to get security cleared.

The only check ALL employers make here now is to see your passport. There are stiff fines for employing II's here now.
So let me get this right (and pardon me for being a tad retarded):
- I can still apply for IT positions in the UK as an II or it'd be compulsory to acquire a work visa?