the evolutionary benefit of being a loser

Discuss deep philosophical topics and questions.
galii
Experienced Poster

the evolutionary benefit of being a loser

Post by galii »

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Re: the evolutionary benefit of being a loser

Post by kangarunner »

galii wrote:
October 8th, 2023, 4:12 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_CJw0VpHqA
You have to define what a loser is. If two males in the animal kingdom are about to fight each other, the weaker one may instinctively back down from the fight so he can survive. If that happens, his testosterone will go down and he'll continue going on living but with a more docile and subordinate role in the tribe. If he were to not back down and choose to fight, he may win or lose. The winner however will have higher testosterone and higher feelings of well being.

One thing the video doesn't point out is that humans can change their position in social standing by simply relocating to another culture in the world.

I wrote about how one's well-being and mental health is influenced greatly by their social standing here: viewtopic.php?style=1&p=405205#p405205

Many people who are "lower status" in their locality would greatly benefit by moving to another location or country where their status is elevated. Or at least their perception of their own status is better.

Jordan Peterson calls this a "dominance hierarchy". If you're low in the dominance hierarchy, your quality of life / mood / happiness will be poor. He has a video on youtube that explains how those who are higher up in the dominance hierarchy literally have higher serotonin levels than those who are lower. Just do a search on youtube for "dominance hierarchy serotonin".

There's another theory called "social rank theory" which proposes that your overall mental health and self esteem is directly correlated to your relative rank in the social hierarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_rank_theory

Here's the comment I put on his video:

@getfree
0 seconds ago
One thing he doesn't point out is that if humans are in a cultural specific dominance hierarchy that does not benefit them or where they have lower status, the solution is to simply leave that culture and seek out another culture in the world where they have a better social standing. For example, if you have low status in America, you may want to leave America to have higher status somewhere else in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

kangarunner wrote:
October 11th, 2023, 4:08 pm
galii wrote:
October 8th, 2023, 4:12 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_CJw0VpHqA
You have to define what a loser is. If two males in the animal kingdom are about to fight each other, the weaker one may instinctively back down from the fight so he can survive. If that happens, his testosterone will go down and he'll continue going on living but with a more docile and subordinate role in the tribe. If he were to not back down and choose to fight, he may win or lose. The winner however will have higher testosterone and higher feelings of well being.

One thing the video doesn't point out is that humans can change their position in social standing by simply relocating to another culture in the world.

I wrote about how one's well-being and mental health is influenced greatly by their social standing here: viewtopic.php?style=1&p=405205#p405205

Many people who are "lower status" in their locality would greatly benefit by moving to another location or country where their status is elevated. Or at least their perception of their own status is better.

Jordan Peterson calls this a "dominance hierarchy". If you're low in the dominance hierarchy, your quality of life / mood / happiness will be poor. He has a video on youtube that explains how those who are higher up in the dominance hierarchy literally have higher serotonin levels than those who are lower. Just do a search on youtube for "dominance hierarchy serotonin".

There's another theory called "social rank theory" which proposes that your overall mental health and self esteem is directly correlated to your relative rank in the social hierarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_rank_theory

Here's the comment I put on his video:

@getfree
0 seconds ago
One thing he doesn't point out is that if humans are in a cultural specific dominance hierarchy that does not benefit them or where they have lower status, the solution is to simply leave that culture and seek out another culture in the world where they have a better social standing. For example, if you have low status in America, you may want to leave America to have higher status somewhere else in the world.
That is not so point here. The point is if you are let's say a loser even if you tried many thing included checking other countries. The point is nature helps you to accept being a loser. There is no point in fighting a losing battle. You accept your fate more or less and that is kind of ok too. It would be worse if you tried to be alpha without the requirements for that.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

galii wrote:
October 12th, 2023, 2:35 am
That is not so point here. The point is if you are let's say a loser even if you tried many thing included checking other countries. The point is nature helps you to accept being a loser. There is no point in fighting a losing battle. You accept your fate more or less and that is kind of ok too. It would be worse if you tried to be alpha without the requirements for that.
I don't give a shit what you think "the point" is galii. First, that video didn't clearly define what a loser is. Secondly, it looked to be on the male's perspective only, not a woman's perspective.

There's a social dominance hierarchy and if you're at the bottom of it, your life will suck. How is that a benefit to being a loser?

Most masculine men want freedom and respect. Being a loser is being subjugated to that "label" in the minds of others in your cultural locality and yourself. How is that a benefit? If you're subjugated to a "label" of loser, you are controlled by others. This is a loss of freedom.

Most people in America would look at me as having lower "social rank" and would therefore subjugate me. However, I've chosen since the age of 30 to say f**k YOU to everyone in America and I've lived abroad. I've rejected their placement of me in the social hierarchy by simply leaving it.

There's the old saying "Hell is other people". Living in the judgment of others who you don't like is the worst way to live.

I've been out of the country all this year 2023. Colombia, Peru, Ecuador. I'm on a plane back to Asia. I HAVE FREEDOM. I AM NOT SUBJUGATED to a "loser" role that America wants me to be in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
galii
Experienced Poster

Post by galii »

kangarunner wrote:
October 12th, 2023, 6:20 am
galii wrote:
October 12th, 2023, 2:35 am
I don't give a shit what you think "the point" is galii. First, that video didn't clearly define what a loser is. Secondly, it looked to be on the male's perspective only, not a woman's perspective.

There's a social dominance hierarchy and if you're at the bottom of it, your life will suck. How is that a benefit to being a loser?

Most masculine men want freedom and respect. Being a loser is being subjugated to that "label" in the minds of others in your cultural locality and yourself. How is that a benefit? If you're subjugated to a "label" of loser, you are controlled by others. This is a loss of freedom.

Most people in America would look at me as having lower "social rank" and would therefore subjugate me. However, I've chosen since the age of 30 to say f**k YOU to everyone in America and I've lived abroad. I've rejected their placement of me in the social hierarchy by simply leaving it.

There's the old saying "Hell is other people". Living in the judgment of others who you don't like is the worst way to live.

I've been out of the country all this year 2023. Colombia, Peru, Ecuador. I'm on a plane back to Asia. I HAVE FREEDOM. I AM NOT SUBJUGATED to a "loser" role that America wants me to be in.

There is a lot to learn from being a loser. There is Jim Carrrey or what his name was the actor. He said I wish everybody would be rich just to see that it does not make you happy.

With the dominance hierarchy you are right. I am just saying there are some niche solutions to it. You do not always need that much status. Epicur says live hidden. If you have few friends that is enough. I admit this solution does not work for most but whatever.

To be honest I did not watch all of the video as well. lol.

Like being poor can teach you also alot. Like the saying hard times make strong men and so on. In many case it is a matter of perception. Even suffering can be road to wisdon they say. Whatever