Questions about PC gaming, controller customizability, mods, etc.

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Questions about PC gaming, controller customizability, mods, etc.

Post by Lucas88 »

I'd just like to begin by saying that I've never been into PC gaming. I used to play a few strategy games on PC in the early 2000s but, other than that, my gaming experience is mostly limited to PlayStation. Because of this I'm largely clueless about modern PC gaming.

I currently have only a very basic laptop which I use for internet, word processing and watching videos but I might get a better one soon. If the specs are good enough, I want to install some games like the 3D Universe GTA games and play them with mods.

1. What is the best way to hook a controller to the PC and customize its control scheme?

I don't like using a keyboard for gaming. I want to use a controller like with the PlayStation and customize the buttons in the manner to which I'm most accustomed.

2. How do you install mods for a game?

I'm talking about full-scale mods that change the game completely and introduce new missions and such.

For example, if I get a better laptop, I wanna play Tightened Thrice and Tightened Vice, two mods which make the missions for GTA 3 and Vice City much harder respectively.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: Questions about PC gaming, controller customizability, mods, etc.

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Lucas88 wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 4:12 am
I'd just like to begin by saying that I've never been into PC gaming. I used to play a few strategy games on PC in the early 2000s but, other than that, my gaming experience is mostly limited to PlayStation. Because of this I'm largely clueless about modern PC gaming.

I currently have only a very basic laptop which I use for internet, word processing and watching videos but I might get a better one soon. If the specs are good enough, I want to install some games like the 3D Universe GTA games and play them with mods.

1. What is the best way to hook a controller to the PC and customize its control scheme?

I don't like using a keyboard for gaming. I want to use a controller like with the PlayStation and customize the buttons in the manner to which I'm most accustomed.

I'm talking about full-scale mods that change the game completely and introduce new missions and such.

For example, if I get a better laptop, I wanna play Tightened Thrice and Tightened Vice, two mods which make the missions for GTA 3 and Vice City much harder respectively.
Lucas, google is your friend. :D
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Pixel--Dude
Veteran Poster

Post by Pixel--Dude »

Lucas88 wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 4:12 am

As far as I'm aware (and I'm not exactly a PC gamer) you can just plug in an xbox or PS4/PS5 controller into a USB port and register that. With your other question about mods I have no idea how to install them. Perhaps someone like @WilliamSmith or @fschmidt might be able to assist you further.
You are free to make any decision you desire, but you are not free from the consequences of those decisions.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

@Lucas88

Just google "how to install Tightened Thrice and Tightened Vice mods".
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 6:48 am
Lucas, google is your friend. :D
No, Google is not my friend! Google (aka Jewgle) is an extremely biased and now completely shitty search engine which increasingly censors any kind of real or interesting information, practically force-feeds its users the NWO-approved mainstream narrative du jour, and actively promotes all kinds of wicked agendas. Fcuk Google!

On the topic of best controllers for PC, I asked ChatGPT (a useful research tool but still politically biased) and it gave me the following answer:
As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, there are several popular controllers you can connect to a PC for gaming, and many of them offer customizable controls. Keep in mind that newer options may have been released since then. Here are some of the top choices and their key features:

1. Xbox Series X/S Controller: Microsoft's Xbox Series X/S controller is highly compatible with PCs and offers customizable controls through the Xbox Accessories app. You can remap buttons, adjust trigger sensitivity, and create custom profiles.

2. PlayStation DualShock 4/5: Sony's DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers are also widely used with PCs. While customization options may not be as extensive as on Xbox controllers, you can still use third-party software to map buttons and make adjustments.

3. Steam Controller: Valve's Steam Controller was designed specifically for PC gaming and offers a high level of customization. Users can configure the touchpads, gyroscopic sensors, and buttons for individual games through the Steam interface.

4. Logitech F310/F710: These are affordable and popular gamepads that offer basic customization options. Logitech's Gaming Software allows you to map buttons and adjust settings for a personalized gaming experience.

5. Razer Wolverine Ultimate: Razer's controller offerings often come with advanced customization options. The Wolverine Ultimate features remappable buttons, extra trigger buttons, and interchangeable thumbsticks and D-pad.

6. Astro C40 TR: This premium controller is known for its modular design and high level of customization. You can swap out modules, remap buttons, and adjust trigger sensitivity using the Astro software.

7. Hori Fighting Commander: If you're into fighting games, Hori's controllers are well-regarded. While not as feature-rich as some others, they offer solid performance and button customization.

8. 8BitDo Controllers: 8BitDo creates controllers that are inspired by classic designs and are often used for retro gaming. They usually come with customization software for button mapping.

9. Nacon Revolution Pro: This controller is particularly aimed at esports and competitive gaming. It offers customization through software, allowing you to adjust sensitivity, dead zones, and more.
I now often use ChatGPT for all kinds of research and indeed had already consulted it before I made this thread, but I just wanted to get a real flesh-and-blood gamer's opinion too because AI merely consists of algorithms and such while a real flesh-and-blood gamer has a human soul and can therefore appreciate the subjective aspects of gaming far better than any machine ever could. That's why I made this thread. 8)

I also just asked my friend's son who's a massive gamer and he recommended Steam for controller customizability and mods. He even showed me how they work. :D

But this stuff is all moot until I get myself a decent laptop. Lol!
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

@Lucas88
No, Google is not my friend! Google (aka Jewgle) is an extremely biased and now completely shitty search engine which increasingly censors any kind of real or interesting information, practically force-feeds its users the NWO-approved mainstream narrative du jour, and actively promotes all kinds of wicked agendas. Fcuk Google!
Oy Vey! Oy gevalt!
Lucas88
Experienced Poster

Post by Lucas88 »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 10:31 am
Oy Vey! Oy gevalt!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Pixel--Dude wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 7:31 am
Perhaps someone like @WilliamSmith or @fschmidt might be able to assist you further.
The extent of my video game experience was trying pong and deciding that I preferred pinball. So I can't answer questions about video games.