Momopi, can my laptop's CD/DVD drive be fixed?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Momopi, can my laptop's CD/DVD drive be fixed?

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
The CD/DVD-RW drive on my laptop seems to be broken. It can play some CD's and DVD's, but when I try to burn CD's it keeps getting errors and ruining the disc, making it unusable. I tried many blank CD's, including good Sony branded ones, and it can't seem to burn a single damn thing correctly.

Do you know if this can be fixed or will the drive have to be replaced?

If it has to be replaced, should I order a replacement from Ebay or an online store? Would that be cheaper? Laptops are very expensive to fix.

Also, I burned some audio CD's in America using standard Sony CD's, but they won't play in either one of my two computers here. Do you know why? Do only those CD's designed for music (that say "music" on them) work for burning audio CD's? It worked in the past, so I don't know why they don't work now. Weird.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Buy an external DVD/CD burner, shouldn't be that expensive.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

The external USB unit will most likely be faster, better, and cheaper than the internal replacement.

But yes, on most laptops you can replace the internal CD/DVD drive. Getting it out and putting a new one in is another story. Some laptops are a royal pain to open, and on my Sony Vaio the parts are actually glued down.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

If you have USB 2.0 then get an external plug in USB CD/DVD RW drive.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Thanks. So I guess the best bet is to get an external DVD drive then. Is the cheapest way to get it on Ebay? We were just at the mall and the computer stores charge 3500p for it, which is like 70 or 80 dollars. One of the brands was a Samsung. Is that a good deal Momopi?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

What would it cost to buy an external USB DVD drive locally in PH?