Momopi, who the hell wouldn't want to word wrap notepad?

Discussions computers, internet and mobile technology (cell phones, smart phones, iPads).
Winston
Site Admin

Momopi, who the hell wouldn't want to word wrap notepad?

Post by Winston »

Momopi,
Here's a trivial but bizarre question.

How come on a lot of computers, when you open Notepad or Wordpad and paste text into it, or open a document with those applications, the default setting is No Word Wrap which means every paragraph is stretched horizontally off the side of the screen til the end?

That makes no sense. Who would want to scroll sideways to read every sentence and paragraph? That is annoying and there is no advantage in that at all. No one would want that.

So why is there even a word wrap option and why is "no word wrap" set as the default on most computers?

A person who isn't computer literate may not know how to turn off the word wrap. Usually you have to go to View and then Options to pull up a submenu, and then select "Word Wrap".

A beginner may not be able to find that option. So why does notepad and word pad inconvenience them like that? I can't think of any logical reason. Can you?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

@_@?

My notepad and wordpad has word wrap enabled by default. If I past text, it will auto wrap according to the window's size.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:@_@?

My notepad and wordpad has word wrap enabled by default. If I past text, it will auto wrap according to the window's size.
But the computers in most internet cafes I've been to do not word wrap. Why?

Who would not want to word wrap text within a window? Why does that option even exist?

Why?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

You can change the default word wrap option by editing the registry, or google/download a tweak tool.

Text editors from vi and edlin days did not word-wrap, since they were used to write config/batch files or edit code & simple text files. If you need word processor features, you should use a word processor and not a text editor. From a programming perspective, word-wrap is bad because you don't want to get confused between newline vs. word wrapping.

Remember that software is written by programmers and not the end users. Why else would you click on "start" to shutdown an OS? LoL.

If it bugs you that much, buy a Mac.