Stop using the term "Latino/a" when you mean "

Discuss racial, ethnic and multicultural issues. Warning: The topics here are likely to be taboo, so if you are easily offended, you are better off not participating here.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Re: Stop using the term "Latino/a" when you mean &

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

AmericanInMexico wrote:The only true Latinos are Italians. Anyone of mixed Spanish/American Indian descent is properly referred to as a mestizo/a.

Whites from Latin America are more Latino than any mestizo.
True, and I'm guilty of this myself.

http://www.mexicauprising.net/

"Mexicans" are one of the many Original Inhabitants (so-called Indians) who originated on this continent we call Ixachilan (see "Native American Oral Traditions and Archaeological Myths"). We are descendants of the ancient Mesoamerican civilizations that covered an area from Aztlan (so-called U.S. Southwest) to the area called Costa Rica in Central America. "Mexican" is what the English called us. "Mexicano" (Meh-hee-kano) is what the Spaniard Europeans called us. Mexica (Meh-shee-kah) is what we call ourselves. Ninety-nine percent of our history as a people happened before the Europeans invaded our land, but sadly that is not the part of our history that has been taught to us. That hidden pre-European history, and the cultural castration effect of the European Invasion, is what http://www.mexicauprising.net is based upon. After 512 years of colonization, we must rise up against the illegal settler population whom continue to enslave us socially, economically, politically and spiritually. It is written in our ancient prophecy called Tzitzimimee; we will not be defeated.

* Latin America is named after the White people of Latin descent who stole our land and claimed it as their own. The Europeans brand everything they "own" with their name, it is no different with our land. Some may believe that the term Latino is a unifying factor for the people living in Latin America and it is; for the whites living on our land not us.
* Latinos are white people from Southern Europe
living in "Latin America." They are the people of Latin (white Roman) descent. Latin is a white language that was spoken by the Romans. When the Roman empire fell, the Romans eventually forgot Latin because it was no longer taught in their schools. English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and French all developed from Latin as dialects then eventually became languages. The people who speak these languages are therefore the descendants of the Latinos. Latino is simply Spanish for people of Latin descent; the Europeans.
* Hispanics are white people from Spain. The Romans called the Spaniards "Hispanos" which means people of Hispania (Spain).
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Re: Stop using the term "Latino/a" when you mean &

Post by AmericanInMexico »

NorthAmericanguy wrote:
AmericanInMexico wrote:The only true Latinos are Italians. Anyone of mixed Spanish/American Indian descent is properly referred to as a mestizo/a.

Whites from Latin America are more Latino than any mestizo.
True, and I'm guilty of this myself.

http://www.mexicauprising.net/

"Mexicans" are one of the many Original Inhabitants (so-called Indians) who originated on this continent we call Ixachilan (see "Native American Oral Traditions and Archaeological Myths"). We are descendants of the ancient Mesoamerican civilizations that covered an area from Aztlan (so-called U.S. Southwest) to the area called Costa Rica in Central America. "Mexican" is what the English called us. "Mexicano" (Meh-hee-kano) is what the Spaniard Europeans called us. Mexica (Meh-shee-kah) is what we call ourselves. Ninety-nine percent of our history as a people happened before the Europeans invaded our land, but sadly that is not the part of our history that has been taught to us. That hidden pre-European history, and the cultural castration effect of the European Invasion, is what http://www.mexicauprising.net is based upon. After 512 years of colonization, we must rise up against the illegal settler population whom continue to enslave us socially, economically, politically and spiritually. It is written in our ancient prophecy called Tzitzimimee; we will not be defeated.

* Latin America is named after the White people of Latin descent who stole our land and claimed it as their own. The Europeans brand everything they "own" with their name, it is no different with our land. Some may believe that the term Latino is a unifying factor for the people living in Latin America and it is; for the whites living on our land not us.
* Latinos are white people from Southern Europe
living in "Latin America." They are the people of Latin (white Roman) descent. Latin is a white language that was spoken by the Romans. When the Roman empire fell, the Romans eventually forgot Latin because it was no longer taught in their schools. English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and French all developed from Latin as dialects then eventually became languages. The people who speak these languages are therefore the descendants of the Latinos. Latino is simply Spanish for people of Latin descent; the Europeans.
* Hispanics are white people from Spain. The Romans called the Spaniards "Hispanos" which means people of Hispania (Spain).
I agree with everything you just posted except for the part about it being "our land".

One race and once race alone does not get to own an entire continent. There is enough room for the natives, the whites, and the mestizos to co-exist, as they do in Mexico.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

AmericanInMexico wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
AmericanInMexico wrote: And to finally put an end to this discussion, you're not Latino. Get over it. You are a mestizo and your Indian genes prevent you from being a Latino.
You are operating under a very common misperception. The term "Latino" is a cultural/linguistic designation, not a racial one. Regardless of one's racial background, they can be 100% Latino based on language and culture or both.

Hispanic was the term back in the 80's, but that left out Brazilians and Portuguese who are not Hispanic, but they are Latino.
I suppose by that logic, black people in the United States are now "Anglos" just because they speak English.
That is correct. You might benefit from looking up the term Anglophone; it fully applies to African Americans. In fact, I have often been considered Anglo by Latinos.

If Anglo is a racial designation, I guess Italian Americans, Polish Americans, and other white ethnicities would not be considered Anglo either. Educate yourself on the terms you use please.
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

AmericanInMexico wrote:
AmericanInMexico wrote: And to finally put an end to this discussion, you're not Latino. Get over it. You are a mestizo and your Indian genes prevent you from being a Latino.
You are operating under a very common misperception. The term "Latino" is a cultural/linguistic designation, not a racial one. Regardless of one's racial background, they can be 100% Latino based on language and culture or both.

Hispanic was the term back in the 80's, but that left out Brazilians and Portuguese who are not Hispanic, but they are Latino.
I suppose by that logic, black people in the United States are now "Anglos" just because they speak English.
That is correct. You might benefit from looking up the term Anglophone; it fully applies to African Americans. In fact, I have often been considered Anglo by Latinos.

If Anglo is a racial designation, I guess Italian Americans, Polish Americans, and other white ethnicities would not be considered Anglo either. Educate yourself on the terms you use please.
I happen to be a Polish-American myself, and I do not consider myself an Anglo by any means. Perhaps that is why I feel so out of place in Anglo countries.

I'm already well-educated on the use of the term Anglo, which is why I don't use it except to refer to people of English descent.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Well you have to go into psychology of these people that are mix of Spanish and Indian. They prefer to be referred as Latinos simply bc that’s much cooler and superior than to be called Indian, if you know what I mean. Fact is if Spaniards never invaded SA they would never be referred as Latinos, you don’t call North American Indians Anglos?
Suppose Russians conquered SA then you'd probably be thinking that you are some sort of 'Slavio' or something similar..
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Banano wrote:Well you have to go into psychology of these people that are mix of Spanish and Indian. They prefer to be referred as Latinos simply bc that’s much cooler and superior than to be called Indian, if you know what I mean. Fact is if Spaniards never invaded SA they would never be referred as Latinos, you don’t call North American Indians Anglos?
Suppose Russians conquered SA then you'd probably be thinking that you are some sort of 'Slavio' or something similar..
Exactly right. I don't understand why they want to be referred to by the term that the conquerors used to describe themselves. That would be as bad as a a Jew naming their child Adolf.