They are going to steal everything we worked for.

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Cornfed wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
Cornfed wrote:Actually, there are qualified doctors going hungry in various parts of the world right now. They said the same thing about pilots once, and they start out on near minimum wage these days, if they start out at all.
Pilots are actually doing really well right now internationally.
http://www.willflyforfood.com/airline-pilot-salary/
You can see the average hourly pay by company. I would hardly say that any of even the entry level salaries come close to minimum wage.
Strange. You may be thinking of the older guys.
http://skift.com/2013/08/28/the-u-s-air ... imum-wage/
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/j ... ours-wages
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/ ... in-common/
The lowest paid pilots on the list are actually at 22 dollars an hour since Mesa stopped using turboprop planes. Which isn't bad considering most rookie pilots are a liability- they're only allowed to copilot for the first few years at most airlines. At year five, salaries double to triple (a minimum of 83k a year for copiloting!), while at year ten they are three to six times their initial value because you're a full pilot.

It's a lot like medical school residency. After med school, I will be making 45k a year as an intern, then around 50k as a resident for 2-6 years depending on what specialty I choose. After that, salaries jump to 200-700k depending on specialty. During the first few years I will be saving lives and making important decisions, but because I must defer to an attending (much as an inexperienced copilot defers to his pilot) I am paid as a trainee, not a full doctor. At 45k a year, 80 hours a week (resident hours are virtually always 80 per week) I'll be making the equivalent of $8.65 an hour with overtime at time and a half, and will have 330k of undeffered loan debt to deal with as well. But if you want a good salary, you have to pay your dues.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:But if you want a good salary, you have to pay your dues.
Certainly true if you are a young white man without family connections. Of course you may not get a return on paying your dues. Who is to know whether career paths as you describe them will exist next week?
Rocky Top
Freshman Poster

Re: They are going to steal everything we worked for.

Post by Rocky Top »

MrPeabody wrote:The Bankster Larry Summers gave a recent talk in front of the IMF advocating negative interest rates. This would mean that savers would no longer get an interest rate but would have to pay money to put it in the bank.

He is backed up by the nobel prize winner Paul Krugman who wrote an article demonizing savers as bad people.

"But in a liquidity trap saving may be a personal virtue, but it’s a social vice. And in an economy facing secular stagnation, this isn’t just a temporary state of affairs, it’s the norm. Assuring people that they can get a positive rate of return on safe assets means promising them something the market doesn’t want to deliver – it’s like farm price supports, except for rentiers."

"One way to get there would be to reconstruct our whole monetary system – say, eliminate paper money and pay negative interest rates on deposits. "

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... ent=safari

The American middle class is scheduled for destruction. You have no pensions. Your savings are taxed and shrink instead of grow. Obamacare sucks all your present income. There will be no social security. You will be a slave until you die. Something like this is going to have to happen because the public debt in unsustainable. They have engineered this from the beginning.
This has gone from being an absurdity to a possible reality...

In The Future, You May Have To Pay The Bank To Hold Your Money
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

HouseMD wrote: The thing is, if the global economy collapses, gold will be just as worthless as anything else. The claim that it has intrinsic value is completely false- you can't eat it, you can't weaponize it, you can't build with it. People will be starving and desperate. You think I'm going to give you some of my preciously limited food for some damn rock? I might trade my food for bullets or whatever, but the number of people that we have on the planet are unsustainable without a modern economic system. A gold based system will likely never happen- more likely, if everything collapses, there will be a single global currency and gold will only be useful for black market transactions.
In times of war, calamity, and massive inflation, gold does become quite valuable as seen in the Chinese Civil War exodus and Vietnamese War exodus during the 20th century. If you want to book passage on a boat, the captain accepts gold in payment. In those desperate scenarios, most people would also be restricted to whatever they could realistically carry and conceal.