I had an argument with a Chicano guy about the USA.

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

I had an argument with a Chicano guy about the USA.

Post by Temprano26 »

This was a long time ago but now I have a place to rant about it.

In 2010 I went to Costa Rica and then came back after a few months. In those few months I was happier in Latin America than in a lifetime in the US. I met this Chicano guy in his 50s who was married to another man yet still supported the Republicans that fight tooth and nail against his right to be married.

At first I really liked him. He is the head chef at a hotel and is majorly successful in his personal and professional life. I don't begrudge anyone their success but he was so successful that he couldn't believe I had gone months without finding a job in Arlington, Texas. When I came back to the US I was looking forward to the best but all I found was the worst in people. Employers treated me with indifference, often stating that they don't hire people without experience but I can't get experience if I am not hired. I had a job at Quizno's and business was so slow that the manager couldn't afford to pay his staff. I wanted to work hard so I could find something better down the road but that manager treated me like garbage after three days of working there so I was stuck again trying to find employment. After months of being in the US, I became sick of everyone around me just like I was sick of them before I went to Costa Rica.

The Chicano guy assumed I had nothing to be unhappy about living in the greatest country in the world to which I intensely disagreed. He said "I know you disagree. You disagree because you don't have a life here. Nobody gives you anything". I don't ask for anything given to me. I am willing to work hard for what I want in life but do you know how hard it is for young people to get jobs these days? Being in your 50s is very far away from being in your 20s.

My point is not just the Chicano guy. It is that people who are successful in America just become more out of touch with everyone else. They assume that they are successful and that anyone who is not successful just chose not to be out of laziness or entitlement. This is the most out of touch culture I have ever witnessed.

Costa Rica may not have as much wealth as the US but they damn sure come together more than we do. And they don't treat other people like garbage when things aren't going their way. This is why they are happier and more in touch with the people around them.
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

Great post.Americans have no darn solidarity... they just don't and i don't get it.Americans will let foreigners take over the country before they come together on something.Latin Americans have unity which is why they can go to the U.S. and take over entire cities and create economic bases in their ethnic enclaves.Other thing that Chicano doesn't understand is that it's assumed that he's a hard worker because of his Latin America heritage whereas people have this idea that Americans are "Lazy" which is bullshit.I have heard Americans call Americans lazy.There is also this self loathing among Americans.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

skateboardstephen wrote:Great post.Americans have no darn solidarity... they just don't and i don't get it.Americans will let foreigners take over the country before they come together on something.Latin Americans have unity which is why they can go to the U.S. and take over entire cities and create economic bases in their ethnic enclaves.Other thing that Chicano doesn't understand is that it's assumed that he's a hard worker because of his Latin America heritage whereas people have this idea that Americans are "Lazy" which is bullshit.I have heard Americans call Americans lazy.There is also this self loathing among Americans.
That's why I like living in Asia as well: homogenity and strong unity is in spades here--although there's too much White-worshipping in some parts of Asia, like China and the Philippines; I prefer the more xenophobic and proudly Asian countries like S. Korea.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

zboy1 wrote:I prefer the more xenophobic and proudly Asian countries like S. Korea.
So you like the crazies huh? :lol:

I prefer the more united, grounded and satanist-hating countries like N.Korea, China, Russia etc. They don't mind foreigners, but they're taking strict measures to control their influence on the country in varying degrees. Even though I wish to travel to Russia for romance soon, I greatly appreciate their national mindset.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

zboy, I am white and that is why I did better in a non-white country. People in Costa Rica are friendly and welcoming to foreigners. Some of the nicest people I ever met.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

zboy, I am white and that is why I did better in a non-white country. People in Costa Rica are friendly and welcoming to foreigners. Some of the nicest people I ever met.
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

Temprano26 wrote:zboy, I am white and that is why I did better in a non-white country. People in Costa Rica are friendly and welcoming to foreigners. Some of the nicest people I ever met.
Costa Rica is non-White???Aren't most Latin American country mixed countries?I live in Brazil and i see White Brazilians and the country is 47% White.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Post by Temprano26 »

Well, that is true but their white Latinas are well beyond hotter than our bland North American girls. Race mixed or not their country has little xenophobia and most people were friendly to me.

Costa Rica is the cultural melting pot that America likes to think it is.