I may quit my job after Labor Day

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Re: I may quit my job after Labor Day

Post by Hero »

Ghost wrote:Congrats Hero. I know how good it feels to quit a soul-killing job. Can't wait to read about the adventures you'll have.
Thanks. I just registered for TEFL classes. They'll start on October 8. Hopefully I can get a job abroad by the Spring of 2017.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 29th, 2017, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Ghost wrote:
Hero wrote:
Ghost wrote:Congrats Hero. I know how good it feels to quit a soul-killing job. Can't wait to read about the adventures you'll have.
Thanks. I just registered for TEFL classes. They'll start on October 8. Hopefully I can get a job abroad by the Spring of 2017.
Are you doing a live course? Where do you want to teach?
Yes, it's a live course. Latin America, Eastern Europe or Southeast Asia would be nice places to go.
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

Apologies for the tardy reply, but best wishes on your future endeavors. On a side note, the CELTA program is being offered in my city. This is something that I might be interested in doing. Do you think it's worth the extra time and expense? Anybody else have any experience with CELTA?
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Guhji wrote:Apologies for the tardy reply, but best wishes on your future endeavors. On a side note, the CELTA program is being offered in my city. This is something that I might be interested in doing. Do you think it's worth the extra time and expense? Anybody else have any experience with CELTA?
I've heard that CELTA is better than Oxford (which is what I'm doing). I'm doing Oxford because it's more convenient.
Guhji
Freshman Poster

Post by Guhji »

Do you have any concerns about your age working against you with regards to job prospects? I'm 41 so I'm no spring chicken either. I know that in my home country of South Korea for example, that there does exist rampant (old) age discrimination. I assume that you've already done your due diligence, so what are your thoughts on this subject? Would welcome other opinions as well.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Hero wrote:Enough is enough. I'm seriously considering quitting my job right after Labor Day.

Here's my plan for the next month: Just relax at work (because my boss is on vacation for most of the month). Then when my boss gets back and asks me what I've been doing all month, I'll just hand him my resignation letter.

By then, I should have about $190,000 saved up: $20,000 in cash and $170,000 in retirement savings.

After that, I'll get TEFL certified and get the hell out of here in the first quarter of 2017.

That is all.
A major problem with that is that it is unethical. If you are getting paid, you should put in the effort to do the job right. No sitting around with your feet up while the 'Penske file' sits in the drawer. It's not right to defraud the shareholders. You wouldn't want anyone to do that to you.

I've had jobs where I stayed late the last week if there was a project that needed to be finished up. Sometimes it was something I really should have gotten done earlier, but let myself get behind. But it is good to leave in the best way you can for the organization you worked for. When I trained someone to do my job, once, I made sure to write up the instructions the best I could and explain it as thoroughly as I could. I'd have appreciated that kind of training. I didn't get it going in. E-bay bought that company later on.

It is good to finish the job well and leave with a good reference. I worked for a guy who managed me and another guy who didn't finish up his work before he left. I finished it up, and I was using my manager as a reference for years down the line. He was happy I did a good job. I also worked late at the end of my time there to finish up an extra project. It pays off in the long term.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Guhji wrote:Do you have any concerns about your age working against you with regards to job prospects? I'm 41 so I'm no spring chicken either. I know that in my home country of South Korea for example, that there does exist rampant (old) age discrimination. I assume that you've already done your due diligence, so what are your thoughts on this subject? Would welcome other opinions as well.
Everyone has strikes against them when they look for a job. Sure I'm old, but I also have years of teaching experience, plus experience in the corporate world. I'm sure I'll find work somewhere. Remind me, was there a discussion somewhere about countries that practice age discrimination?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Good luck with your future endeavors Hero. Keep us informed as to how things are going for you.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Just got my ESL teaching certification, with a specialty in teaching business English. Today I started looking at job openings on the Oxford Seminars website. I cannot BELIEVE how many age restrictions there are. Hell, Brazil won't accept applicants over 32! There are a bunch of other countries that I can't go to because I'm too old. Seriously bummed now.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Hero wrote:Just got my ESL teaching certification, with a specialty in teaching business English. Today I started looking at job openings on the Oxford Seminars website. I cannot BELIEVE how many age restrictions there are. Hell, Brazil won't accept applicants over 32! There are a bunch of other countries that I can't go to because I'm too old. Seriously bummed now.
My sense is that if you go there on your own dime, show up at the workplace and show them you're not an out-of-touch, low energy geezer, you won't have any problem.

I've noted here before the irony of the schools in these countries discriminating in favor of younger Americans, who have a very tenuous grasp of the English language, at best. From grading a million papers at Univ. of Wisconsin, I can say with assurance that almost none of these supposedly elite American college students is qualified to teach written English.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

gsjackson wrote:
Hero wrote:Just got my ESL teaching certification, with a specialty in teaching business English. Today I started looking at job openings on the Oxford Seminars website. I cannot BELIEVE how many age restrictions there are. Hell, Brazil won't accept applicants over 32! There are a bunch of other countries that I can't go to because I'm too old. Seriously bummed now.
My sense is that if you go there on your own dime, show up at the workplace and show them you're not an out-of-touch, low energy geezer, you won't have any problem.

I've noted here before the irony of the schools in these countries discriminating in favor of younger Americans, who have a very tenuous grasp of the English language, at best. From grading a million papers at Univ. of Wisconsin, I can say with assurance that almost none of these supposedly elite American college students is qualified to teach written English.
Maybe those age restrictions only apply to teachers who want to teach children. I can't believe that professionals who want to learn business English would prefer some kid as their teacher.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Hero wrote:Maybe those age restrictions only apply to teachers who want to teach children. I can't believe that professionals who want to learn business English would prefer some kid as their teacher.
They most likely prefer tall, blond, big-titted sluts as their teachers.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Cornfed wrote:
Hero wrote:Maybe those age restrictions only apply to teachers who want to teach children. I can't believe that professionals who want to learn business English would prefer some kid as their teacher.
They most likely prefer tall, blond, big-titted sluts as their teachers.
:lol: What? Where in the world did you get that idea?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I did a CELTA, it was very hard work but it's a prestigious qualification (and can even lead to becoming a qualified teacher in the UK). A CELTA or MA TESOL would open a lot of doors. If you're seriously interested in teaching, then get a full teaching qualification (e.g. PGCE in the UK). In the UK you get paid to train if you can teach Math or other in demand subjects.

Another benefit of the CELTA is that I am much more self confident and I am now firmly in command at job interviews.

I too am finding age discrimination now (mid-40's), but if you're older then emphasise your business career (if you have one) and have the TEFL as an add-on. Of the 17 trainee teachers on my CELTA course only two of us had worked in business, the rest were mostly dropouts who couldn't find good jobs back in their own countries.

The best way to get teaching jobs overseas is to just go there and knock on doors. Pretty much all of my CELTA peers found jobs in Spain afterwards.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.