Prince Harry Hunters

Vent your rants and raves here about whatever makes you mad, angry or frustrated.
dreamer82
Freshman Poster

Prince Harry Hunters

Post by dreamer82 »

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/03/20/inva ... nters.html

I couldn't resist this. Dumb, ambitious American women are traveling to England in the hopes of seducing Prince Harry. One of them (the more rational) is an actress from LA and her plan B is to marry a titled Brit.

Is this the outcome of movies like "The Princess Bride"?
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Re: Prince Harry Hunters

Post by Repatriate »

dreamer82 wrote: Is this the outcome of movies like "The Princess Bride"?
Some women want what is unavailable and they believe nothing less than a prince or a millionaire will be good for them. It's just delusional. Even the "commoner" women who end up married to royalty usually had something going for them or had families connected to that tier of society.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Ridiculous, nobody wants AW seriously.
DaRick
Freshman Poster

Post by DaRick »

The next time someone tells me that American women are NOT entitled (usually whilst receiving a lecture about how we don't treat them like human beings, etc), I will point them to this.
BellaRuth
Freshman Poster

Post by BellaRuth »

As if she has done 'research'. Doesn't she know Harry has a long-term girlfriend? Her name is Chelsy Davy, and they're pretty serious.

If she did end up married into the upper-classes here (extremely unlikely as she'd be seen through easily, and social climbing/greed is a big no-no), she'd be in for a shock. These old, titled families are very traditional and the division of the sexes will be more apparent than in a typical American family. It'd be like going back in time in many aspects for her.

An old, traditional British family is pretty much the opposite of modern American. It's even looked down upon to buy your own furniture, and pretty much everything this girl is hankering after will be dismissed as 'naff'. There'll be no ostentatious cars or clothing, and she'll be lucky to have the central heating on in the winter.

If this girl just wants a rich man to do everything for her and give her status she'd be far better off going after 'new money'. I'm not sure why she isn't, as it doesn't carry stigma any more in this age of entrepreneurship.

Perhaps she doesn't understand the difference between the British and the American class system. You can be upper-class British, poor and homeless, and it's common to have working-class millionaires.
Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question. - Gaston Bachelard