Do Asian men have a disadvantage in Eastern Europe?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
KristineTheStrawberryGirl
Freshman Poster

Post by KristineTheStrawberryGirl »

Grunt, do you have a reading comprehension difficulty? You clearly did not read what I wrote, and seem to be responding to an imaginary person. I suppose I should be upset about the remarks, but why should I care to see a straw man burning? Burn it all you want if it makes you happy.

8)
"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Ludwig Wittgenstein
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

You could end all this debate by showing us a webpage devoted to foreign men seeking American females. Or, a webpage for foreign girls seeking Russian men.

Sweep away all matters of opinion by doing so, kristine. Prove me as wrong as you say. Surely, it cant be that hard.

Just one webage is all I ask, and it will silence me forever. Otherwise we all get to watch you flail around hysterically. Thats kinda fun, too.
sharpbws
Freshman Poster

Post by sharpbws »

gmm567 wrote:so sharps tell us of your Russian wife please.
Sure. She is the most even-tempered, supportive, kind, warm, woman I've ever met. There is only a 6 1/2 year age difference between us. Like most older women she's had some difficult times adjusting to life in the USA and misses her home and friends very much. She will complete her AA Degree in Applied Science as an Medical Office Assistant in June. Not bad considering when she first arrived 6 years ago she could hardly communicate in english.
gmm567 wrote: I don't mean to be disrespectful; I am earnestly hopeful for your long term happiness and joy. God--do I hope to hear of your long term contentment-cause dude--you've had far too much suffering in your life.
Exactly what kind of "suffering" are you referring to? We've all experienced ups and down on life's path. I'm fortunate enough to have far many more ups than downs.
gmm567 wrote: How many decent Russian woman are there? I hope you found one!
I sure did! The key to success is to set reasonable expectations and follow your gut feelings. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
:-)
Brad
kristy_571
Freshman Poster

Post by kristy_571 »

sharpbws wrote:
gmm567 wrote:so sharps tell us of your Russian wife please.
Sure. She is the most even-tempered, supportive, kind, warm, woman I've ever met. There is only a 6 1/2 year age difference between us. Like most older women she's had some difficult times adjusting to life in the USA and misses her home and friends very much. She will complete her AA Degree in Applied Science as an Medical Office Assistant in June. Not bad considering when she first arrived 6 years ago she could hardly communicate in english.

That's awesome! Good for her. I went to school for medical coding and billing, and now am studying to become a Registered Nurse. Nurses make $50,000+ in their first year, and can travel anywhere in the world. Would your wife maybe consider nursing in the future as well?
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Just to bring this back to its original topic. I have never been to Moscow before but I have a friend who lives there.

I also think Russian women tend not to age very well. It's like a candle that burns twice as a bright but half as long. Of course that's a generalization as i'm sure there are some drop dead older gorgeous Russian women but it seems to be true from what I observed.

Honestly, if you're asian and reading this i'd recommend the western european nations and beyond all that various South American countries. I have several asian friends from various nationalities that have had good experiences in western Europe. Russia is xenophobic and racist..there's no doubt about it. I'd even group Ukraine and quite a few of the other FSU orientated nations into that.

I understand where the anti-Chinese sentiment comes from in Russia. When you're neighbors with a country it tends to boil over. It's fairly typical and Russia has always had uneasy relations with China.
Last edited by Repatriate on July 12th, 2012, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I agree Repatriate with your observations of Russia, having spent a year there. You describe things well. You ought to write a book or start a website too.

I don't think that Russians dislike Chinese just because they are neighbors. The Russians that live in Siberia near China tend to like Chinese people more, for instance. And the European countries that border Russia tend to view Russians negatively (e.g. Latvia, Lithuania). And not all countries that are neighbors have a rivalry (US and Canada don't) or animosity between them.

What have you heard regarding how Asian men do in England, France or Italy?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

WWu777 wrote:I agree Repatriate with your observations of Russia, having spent a year there. You describe things well. You ought to write a book or start a website too.
Thanks for the compliments. I try but I think I ramble too much and have a propensity to state the obvious at times.
I don't think that Russians dislike Chinese just because they are neighbors. The Russians that live in Siberia near China tend to like Chinese people more, for instance. And the European countries that border Russia tend to view Russians negatively (e.g. Latvia, Lithuania). And not all countries that are neighbors have a rivalry (US and Canada don't) or animosity between them.
You're right it's more complex than that and i've done some reading about it in the past. The Russian government gets along very well with China and considers them an economic and political ally. As with any country it's the elite that really have a grasp of the bigger picture and control things. However, the normal everyday Russian seems to rely on what the media and pop culture dictates but the impression I got is that they are really just xenophobic in general. I remember when I talked with some Russians I met. They were pretty nice and curious about my experiences in the U.S. but when I referred to them as part of "Europe" they politely corrected me and insisted that their identity is only Russian.

This whole skinhead movement is coming from a serious surplus of disaffected youths who are unemployed and poor. They are easily recruited into similar gangs who all have political affiliation to various right wing movements in Russia. They are really just tapping into that greater xenophobia that Russia has always possessed. While it's true that the Russians closer to the border are probably much more open to Russian/Chinese business or social relations it's still uncommon. I'd say that Russia and China's relationship has always been sort of a segregated partnership.

You're right that many countries dislike Russians with a passion. I know Fins, Latvians, Lithuanians etc.. really dislike them. It's funny how this type of prejudice works.
What have you heard regarding how Asian men do in England, France or Italy?
It's a young man's scene really and you have to deal with the typical high maintenance western female stuff you see in the U.S. but their views on asians are different from the U.S.

Many countries in Europe..particularly the ones that don't have problems with the native asian immigrant population are very receptive to dating. I know quite a few Asian-Americans in France and Parisians of asian descent and they say it's a non issue. They may not like you if you're ugly or socially inept but it isn't because of your race.

I find western european prejudices are usually rooted in dislike for their native muslim north african and arab demographic. They have largely a neutral or impartial view of asians.
neuromancer
Freshman Poster

Post by neuromancer »

I'd say it's always better to live in a country where you belong to the top 5-10% income bracket.

Additionally, if you're relatively educated, cultured, and attractive, then it definitely helps when the average local male competition is uneducated, uncultured, and not very attractive.

How you stack up vis a vis local male competition and your relative socioeconomic status in a new land goes a long ways towards determining your popularity and success with the ladies.

For most guys, this means they'll do far better in Eastern Europe (taking Russia out of the equation for now) than Western Europe. You'll pull higher than your pay grade as they say.

I know that might jar with the feel-good stories Hollywood pumps out about love being blind and all that, but that's the simple truth.

On the other hand, being different, for example an educated, cultured, and attractive Asian-American male in an open-minded Western European city should still be enough to get you some interest.

But this is going to really depend on your personal situation, who you know, what circles you run in, and how you approach the opposite sex.
DarkMatter
Freshman Poster

Post by DarkMatter »

Sorry to bring this topic back up seeing how the last post was in July.

But seeing how I also fit under "Asian" (Filipino....yeah yeah, you might be wondering why not go to the Philippines? I have my reasons.... LOLOLOL)

How does one fair like myself in other Eastern Euro countries? So far I'm only reading mainly about Russia under this thread, but how about other countries say... Ukraine? Or Hungary? Or even Belarus? I would hate to come to this countries to be severely disappointed! :D
The Grass is greener on the other side! =D
DCX_10
Freshman Poster

Post by DCX_10 »

I am from China's Northeast, close to Siberia. I have seen a lot of white Russian women in China's Northeast. In fact, some of them are born and raised in China and speak perfect Chinese!!!
KristineTheStrawberryGirl wrote:
Evergreen wrote:
KristineTheStrawberryGirl wrote:I am sorry to say, but it is true that Russian women usually do NOT like to date or marry Asian men. I have only recently realized the magnitude of the anti-Chinese tendencies in Russian social life, because my own family does not share that belief. I have learned that in the most typical social settings of Russia, it is a rare situation when a Russian woman would be attracted to an Asian men, and if she is, her family would be so against it, that she would eventually not feel right about it. There are rare exceptions with Korean men, and sometimes Japanese men do OK, but Chinese men tend to be viewed as undesirable. In fact, a family friend recently told me of a Russian proverb about Chinese people having 6 faces and no beauty. Black men actually have better odds in Russia than far East Asian men (they have that whole "Pushkin was a black man" thing going for them), especially Chinese men. On the other hand, in general, dark eyes, darker skin and dark hair are considered very attractive in Russia (just not on Chinese people). I am familiar with the most famous celebrities, rock stars. musicians, models and sex symbols of Russia, and most of them have very dark eyes and hair. Sometimes they have sort of a gypsy look, and the Bollywood Indian movies are very popular, so it may be that Indians would be considered attracive, but not Chinese. I think that if a Chinese guy likes white girls, he'd have better luck in the United States than Russia to be honest. Maybe Iceland, Germany or Scandinavia may work out better? Somewhere else in Europe maybe.
I got something to add that contradicts what you wrote about Chinese men in Russia. It looks like Chinese men are doing well in Russia... at least in Siberia.
A little disclaimer here ... nothing that I am saying is scientific or backed up by statistical studies. It's just my own daily life experience in the Russian community. I will also mention that Siberia happens to be an area that I am not familiar with at all. I do hope to go the the Siberian Railway someday, and would love to se Vladivostok someday.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

DCX_10 wrote:I am from China's Northeast, close to Siberia. I have seen a lot of white Russian women in China's Northeast. In fact, some of them are born and raised in China and speak perfect Chinese!!!
Which area in Dongbei are you from? My grandfather used to live in Liaoning, Liaoyang.
Tom Long
Freshman Poster

So where do I go?

Post by Tom Long »

Wanted to get back on topic...having read all 6 pages thus far...as an Asian American Male, I would consider myself relatively successful, relatively attractive (lucky enough to clear 6 feet) and socially capable (no problems courting caucasian women in the great state of Texas)...what eastern european countries should I target from a search strategy perspective?

Cheers!!!

Not looking for a bride like some of the members active on this thread, but just wanting to meet and potentially date the "creme-of-the-creme"
tradcom
Freshman Poster

Post by tradcom »

Repatriate wrote:You're right it's more complex than that and i've done some reading about it in the past. The Russian government gets along very well with China and considers them an economic and political ally. As with any country it's the elite that really have a grasp of the bigger picture and control things. However, the normal everyday Russian seems to rely on what the media and pop culture dictates but the impression I got is that they are really just xenophobic in general. I remember when I talked with some Russians I met. They were pretty nice and curious about my experiences in the U.S. but when I referred to them as part of "Europe" they politely corrected me and insisted that their identity is only Russian.

This whole skinhead movement is coming from a serious surplus of disaffected youths who are unemployed and poor. They are easily recruited into similar gangs who all have political affiliation to various right wing movements in Russia. They are really just tapping into that greater xenophobia that Russia has always possessed. While it's true that the Russians closer to the border are probably much more open to Russian/Chinese business or social relations it's still uncommon. I'd say that Russia and China's relationship has always been sort of a segregated partnership.

You're right that many countries dislike Russians with a passion. I know Fins, Latvians, Lithuanians etc.. really dislike them. It's funny how this type of prejudice works.
Except that Russia and China are both extremely powerful, while Finland, Latvia, and Lithuania are a joke in terms of power COMBINED (you can even throw in a few other anti-Russian countries), and their anti-Russian sentiment would seriously hurt them without the overt and covert backing of the West. Especially since Russia is almost single-handedly propping up the economy of almost the entirety of Europe these days!
Pugilist
Freshman Poster

Post by Pugilist »

Chemist wrote:I never been to Eastern Europe so I don't have first time experience but my impression of Russia is that it appears to be unfriendly to men of color.

Generally speaking, this is true.

My girfriend and other Russian women I've spoken to strongly prefer ethnic Russians or other slavs as partners.

But sometimes people realize that they have to make compromises to get what they want, so they'll consider foriegners. Even then, they will preferentially go with European over American or Australian due to cultural similarity and proximity to their homeland.

Russians that are more ethnically mixed such as Tartars or Uzbechis will be more tolerant of asian decent. Regions of Russia that share a border with China may also be more tolerant. Asian people do hold preference over Turks, Muslims and Africans who Russians absolutely disdain.

Having said that, you may still find some success in Russia, albiet from a smaller dating pool. The best course of action is to start some correspondence with some ladies. The ladies that participate in sustained correspondence with you after seeing your picture will likely not have much of an issue with your descent.

If your interested in finding a wife, work with a few agencies or international matchmakers that you feel comfortable with. They tend to have particular knowledge about the ladies preferences in regards to ethnicity. This will be a good start.

But no lady will leave her home to marry you unless she is convinced that you have something that is difficult to find near her home. If she sees that you're not much better than a Russian man down the street, than forget it. So be your best. I'm talking spit and polish, shining like a new penny. Take accurate stock of who you are and what you can offer her for the future and act accordingly. Men with a strong sense of self-identity are the ones that will do well in this venture.

Ten years ago, you may have ony needed a stable job to convince these girls. Russia has prospered since then and many men have sought Russian brides since then.

The bar has been raised. Good luck to you.
its funny you would say this because a friend of mine who lives in the uk told me if i came to moscow that i would get laid alot and that i would have a good time
AA
Freshman Poster

Post by AA »

Asian men, the ones with slant eyes are typical disadvantaged in the dating scene everywhere, except for maybe in Asia lol.