How Sweden survives without small talk - BBC REEL

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.
galii
Experienced Poster

How Sweden survives without small talk - BBC REEL

Post by galii »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JrfZH3VZSI
I’m a Finn, and our culture is, in this regard, very similar. No small talk does not mean no emotions or not acknowledging someone’s presence. You can look the in the eye and nod your head, maybe smile a little. It’s social and the exact same amount of information is shared as in small talk😂

No small talk does not mean no real talk, either. If someone says “hey let’s go for coffee next week” it means they you’re going to set up a date and time and actually meet up. And then when you ask “how are you?” the answer is most likely honest. Some days we are doing brilliantly, but some days nothing goes well and you’ve been unlucky, and that’s okay to share, too. I feel like this is a very honest and reliable way to communicate with others.

I find it offensive when people from small talk cultures say someone “finally llearned” the proper small talk etc. I have absolutely no need to learn and use small talk in my country. When visiting other cultures it is of course polite to try learn the local ways. It goes both ways.

Also needless to say, Northen European citizens are very happy people. So small talk is not the only way to make social life rewarding and happiness inducing. ☺️