Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Wow look how antisocial and gloomy Finland people are!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to the European Countries.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Wow look how antisocial and gloomy Finland people are!

Postby Winston » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:10 pm

60 minutes report about Finns by Morley Safer.

Get this. In dance halls of Finland, they have to have signs light up to tell them when it's ok to ask a woman to dance! lol

And no one ever says "I love you" there, even among lovers.
Last edited by Winston on Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Site Admin

Postby BellaRuth » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:13 pm

There are loads of young Finns by me. They are nice people, but I have never seen one smile. Very reserved. I thought that was a common trait the further north you go?
Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question. - Gaston Bachelard
Freshman Poster

Postby Enishi » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:27 pm

I wonder if this is true of Sweden as well...
Freshman Poster

Postby Contrarian Expatriate » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:11 pm

The Nordic countries are bad news. I lived in Norway for 2 summers and traveled to Sweden and Denmark. While all different, they are not for me at all.

The uber-feminism is enough to keep me away.
Feel free to visit my sites and to leave your respected words of wisdom:
Contrarian Expatriate
Experienced Poster

Postby Asp » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Typical Finnish welcomes.

Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Hmm... I did notice my couple of friends at Jyväskylä all moved out of the country. One guy took an IT job in Saudi Arabia and escaped to Switzerland afterwards. Another is now in Germany or Belgium. hehehe.

This brings back a lot of memories. Back then I was um... shipping a lot of "used" stuff to EU to help my friends dodge VAT, and they hosted the EU mirror of anime web turnpike at, along with my Group Hooseki web site.
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Think Different » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:19 pm

They're doing that, because those are all Google "spy" cams that they don't appreciate driving around. I'd probably do the same thing. Did you see the picture of the person in Scotland that put on a horse head, when the Google van drove by?

Typical Finnish Joke: Two Finnish guys go into the same bar day after day, following work and proceed to drink beer after beer. After a week of silence, the one Finn says to the other Finn "how's it going". The other says nothing, and they continue to drink their beers in silence. This goes on week after week, with the first Finn asking the other one "how's it going", and getting no reply. Finally, after a month, the first Finn again asks, "how's it going", and the second Finn, exasperated, blurts out "so, are you here to drink, or to chat!?".

Da dum, dum....!

Here are some other Finnish jokes: ... geId=49771

My favorite on that page is this: Q: How can you tell if a Finnish girl has an orgasm? A: She drops her nail file!
Think Different
Junior Poster

Postby dano » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:45 pm

I remember that finnish guy a couple of years ago that flipped out in college and killed his classmates.
Heres the video.
Freshman Poster

Postby Asp » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:21 pm

Well I'm a bit obsessed with Street View pictures and see hundreds of them that people sent in on galleries of Street View pics online, as well as a few in my own searches. The middle finger or V-sign sort of responses are in the minority in most places, and not the "standard" Street View response as people would like to think. But Scotland?? Scotland is a place where I can tell you for a fact, that I have seen far, far more pics of people reacting in a positive way, with waves, thumbs up, etc., than with offensive gestures which seem to occur in greater proportion in some countries than others. I know that especially as I live there.

But there's one country where I have seen offensive gestures ONLY, out of all the gestures there, and the country's Finland.

I have seen the picture with the horse head. That was really funny, and quite an Internet sensation.
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Anime fans from Finland

Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Jackal » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:31 am

The thing is that you are all viewing Finland from the outside. It is true that it is a difficult country to make close friends in, but if you have Finnish relatives or are married to a Finn and are part of a family's inner circle, then it can be good. Finns are much less serious and much more talkative behind closed doors with their families. I know because I have Finnish family members. Finns are just quiet in public (when sober).
Experienced Poster

Return to European Countries